CACHE Upate with PIC - I added some neat INFO.

ctalmadg

Jul 27, 2003
Honeoye Falls, NY (Fingerlakes Area)
Detector(s) used
White / Fisher / DJI Cellar Hole Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(71 coins total)... They were in a old mason jar buried about 9 inches down...Needless to say I broke the jar with my gator before I even knew what I had found...? It was a very interesting cache with American and foreign coins...Sorry about the pic, not that great of quality, but it was done fairly quickly. The newest and oldest are in red, so this jar had been in the ground since at least 1953...

It included the following:

(2) 1941 Standing Liberty Halfs
(1) 1953 Franklin Half
(4) Merc's 24,42,43,45
(3) Barber Dimes 06,07,14
(4) Indian Cents 75,82,90,99
(6) Liberty Nickels 10,10,03,03,02,08
(1) Shield Nickel w/Rays 1867
(24) Buffalo Nickels Various dates (20-30's)
(2) Canadian 5 Cents 1880,1910
(1) Canadian Dime 1870
(1) One Penny Bank Token - Upper Bank of Canada 1852
(1) Empire Francais Dix Centimes - Napoleon III Empereur 1856
(21) Canadian One Cent - 1859,76,88,1900,1902,1907.? 1909-1920 (10,12,17,20 dups)

Happy Hunting!!

Attachments

• cache.jpg
    cache.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 18,465
Upvote 0

slingchine

Sep 22, 2006
Logan County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
4 Garretts, a Bounty Hunter, and a hickory twig
So Thats where God is going to send us good folks when we pass over..............now we know what heavens like!!! I am overjoyed for you and I know this isn't the last major find you will be sharing with us.......fantastic research, thats what it's all about, isn't it? Congratulations to you!!!! I know where you will be on weekends for next umteen years! Right on Man, Thanks for sharing.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
WOW...that is totalling awesome...that's what I'm talking about digging up from this beautiful blue planet!!!

Have been doing some research on Hemlock Lake from old newspapers...found a few articles that I thought would be of interest to you. Some mention the cottages names, owners, about fires burning the post office, about railroads near the lake, about one of those riverboats to be placed on the lake to transport folks from the lake to the trains, and then some stories about people drowning, which I did not save.

I have to be at work at 5pm...so I have to get off this box and get to work....I'll post these articles when I get home tonight...after midnight...you might find some of interest that may help you decide where certain buildings were, etc...and what they were named and owners other than the list you post (map)...which is so cool!!

Again, AWESOME FIND!

Happy Hunting,
Annmarie

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Re: CACHE Upate with PIC

trk5capt said:
Great find and great story I could just picture the area in my mind. Never found a cashe myself but did find a roll of standing liberty quarters in a park about 30yrs. ago. Good hunting. trk5capt...

RIP John my friend....sure do miss you! :'(

Great story.....and super awesome find! :icon_thumleft:

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...those are the moments you never forget. Thanks for sharing and good hunting !

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellant find - Well done!

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Looks like you probably have a lot of area to cover. Take your time. Also looks like you've found out when and how the area was settled, so have good possible sites for detecting at.

I'm guessing the lake if fairly deep? If so, might be a real good area to go during low-water times: heavy objects always seek out the lowest depths they can get to.

Lucky13

Oct 9, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics,Teknetics,TEKNETICS!!
Great Job,Thank You So Much For Sharing.
My Mother Said There Would Be Days Like This!!!
Keep me posted if you find anything else around the lake during your next searchs in the area. HH

sharpshooter

May 3, 2007
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
(71 coins total) .....this jar had been in the ground since at least 1953

First, congrats on your great find. (yeah, I know it's an old thread.)

The newest coin being a 1953 only proves that your cache was buried sometime between 1953 and the date you found it.

OP
OP
ctalmadg

ctalmadg

Jul 27, 2003
Honeoye Falls, NY (Fingerlakes Area)
Detector(s) used
White / Fisher / DJI Cellar Hole Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, congrats on your great find. (yeah, I know it's an old thread.)

The newest coin being a 1953 only proves that your cache was buried sometime between 1953 and the date you found it.

Yep! I've hunted that area quite a bit more since then and found that a majority of my coins have been 40-60's. My plan this summer is to explore the rest of that side of the lake for cellar holes and try to find some older stuff.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulation!

d3t3ctr0n

Apr 17, 2013
Texas U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome. That would have made my day too. I am going to the lake this weekend in Texas. I will report my findings, if any. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread