My second Wheat Penny

Old as Dirt

May 19, 2013
Crest Hill, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 & Garrett Pro PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found my second Wheat Penny yesterday. It's a 1936, and I was shocked to find it laying "on top" of the soil. I didn't have to dig for it !! Totally shocked!! Great place to find old coins.

This was actually my 3rd Wheatie! My 1st was the 1943 Silver, ( Steel ) My 2nd one is a 1935 , and this last one is the 1936. Ok....so now I need to find some SILVER !!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice! Somebody must have been carrying it recently and not noticed what they had!

OP
OP
Old as Dirt

Old as Dirt

May 19, 2013
Crest Hill, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 & Garrett Pro PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Somebody must have been carrying it recently and not noticed what they had!

It did have some dirt on it, and at one time was buried, but they bulldozed this area in the past few years, and unearthed many treasures.

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It did have some dirt on it, and at one time was buried, but they bulldozed this area in the past few years, and unearthed many treasures.

Oh wow! It must be a great spot then.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Congrats on your wheaties! :icon_thumright: Mine are few & far between. Keep going back to where you found them and your detector will probably find good silver.

Before I ever dug wheaties, my son & I extensively detected an old city lot with foundations exposed. It had NOT been plowed, but after I eyeballed a 1940 nickel, we both paid more attention to eyeball scanning! One day I wandered the field without detector & was amazed to find a surface 1923 Peace silver dollar, my best coin yet! It was dusty, lying flat on the surface. But after picking it up, I noticed a definite line of difference in patina between one area of the front & the rest of the front: at some time the coin had been partially buried at a slant for many years, with about a third of it exposed to the elements over the years. A rainy season must've finally exposed the whole coin. That same day, about ten feet from this silver dollar, I detected my first two wheaties, only a few inches underground. And earlier, also within a few yards of the silver dollar, I'd dug up an old decorative gilted metal purse frame -- maybe that's where the coins had originated, though there were no coins buried right with the purse frame, and the cloth portion of the purse had long since rotted away.

HOLLAR WHEN YOU DIG YOUR FIRST SILVER COIN & WE WILL HEAR YOU!
:hello: Andi

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Success breeds success! Go get more. Nice! Tnx. TTC

heybubbajay

Feb 28, 2012
SC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep up the good work...you also tapped into an important MD trait...keep your eyes open, some of my best finds were found visually while metal detecting without a beep from my detector!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread