Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Complete Silver Spoon with ship motiff (restored), a fragment, and a Sterling Ring.
Plus 9 (nine) Silver coins all pre 1900

The coins are:
1899 Barber dime
1881 Can. half dime
1845 Brit. 6 pence
181? "
1816 "
1776 Spanish 2 reales (mexico)
1747 Spanish 2 reales (mexico)
1725 Spanish 2 reales (spain)
1710 French 30 deniers (first ever french silver, and oldest dated coin)

The 2 reales all found in one week, 2 were found in the same day / site, (ZDD witnessed)

No doubt a month that won't be topped. Happy...OH YEAH !

Attachments

• IMG_0691.JPG
    IMG_0691.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 519
Upvote 6

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dfx-kevin

Mar 15, 2013
Southwest mississippi
Detector(s) used
whites dfx and Tesoro original silver saber
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good haul in! You sure have a lot of history and bigger population of people (up north in the old days) to dig through. Nice coins.

Sep 19, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible coins! 2 pieces of spanish silver in a day is quite amazing... Looks like you are hunting some fantastic spots - just awesome.

ivobg

Jun 20, 2013
Forgot
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how does the spanish coins get in america

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never had a month close to that for old silver even during my best years, so that should tell you how good your area is. It's just too bad you don't get the button numbers because if IH and I were digging the era of sites that you are we would be killing it on the number of buttons, and there would definitely be some good early military. If you can keep pulling out that old stuff you will definitely hit a very good or great military relic.

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Rick, CONGRATS on one AWESOME month of OLD SILVER, it doesn't get much better then that :thumbsup:

Bubba65

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never had a month close to that for old silver even during my best years, so that should tell you how good your area is. It's just too bad you don't get the button numbers because if IH and I were digging the era of sites that you are we would be killing it on the number of buttons, and there would definitely be some good early military. If you can keep pulling out that old stuff you will definitely hit a very good or great military relic.

I don't quite understand it, about button numbers, or getting a "great" one.
Just did a quick count, about 125 buttons this year, about 10 pewters, and quite a few very small cuff type buttons. I sure do dig my share of tin foil, ketchup packs, and other small junk. So, am I doing something wrong ? Or is it just luck of the draw.

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good haul in! You sure have a lot of history and bigger population of people (up north in the old days) to dig through. Nice coins.

That may be true generally (up north), but not specifically, as NS may have one of the first permanent colonial settlements, many of the original 13 very quickly out numbered us 10 to one or so by 1700.

sources;
ESTIMATED POPULATION OF AMERICAN COLONIES

Censuses of Canada 1665 to 1871: Estimated population of Canada, 1605 to present

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't quite understand it, about button numbers, or getting a "great" one.
Just did a quick count, about 125 buttons this year, about 10 pewters, and quite a few very small cuff type buttons. I sure do dig my share of tin foil, ketchup packs, and other small junk. So, am I doing something wrong ? Or is it just luck of the draw.

You did get the RP, but you're due for something else. It is funny though because with those types of finds IH and I would probably be digging 30-50 buttons between us per site, and maybe per day. If you are digging foil, small lead, and small pewter, then you should be getting most of them. As for military, of course there's no guarantee, and here even when if we go West the count drops quite a bit... but given what you find I know there's more military around there.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with IP that you're due for something else. Seems like some areas are hotspots for certain things, and not for others though, so it could just be your area. Move over 20 miles and it could very well be different. Here, its a hotspot for spanish and military, but in other places in LA it is a hotspot for french and british coppers and Civil War. No way to know. I'd like to find a fancy suspender clip around here, but it seems like they were mainly in the middle US and northeast.

At any rate, congrats on the astounding silver haul. That's a sweet handfull of finds there.

-Buck

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I agree that certain geographical areas have more of this or that type of artifact. I also get no suspender buckles, OK maybe one piece of one. And I certainly don't get the shoe buckles like a couple of our friends in CT, and RI do. I have got a couple frames, one broken frame, and one chape, but when you figure that a broken shoe buckle would be discarded, and the coins were not.

BTW the amount of spanish I got this year I don't think "typical" (5 years with zero, this year 5 so far) some of it definitely just good luck.

Hope to get out soon, and have some luck. The sun is even coming back out.....

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Posts of your finds are all the more reason to start considering a Northern vacation over a Florida one in the future. Thanks for sharing. Those are some really nice finds.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds! Congrats! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't found a piece of Spanish Silver in either of the past two seasons. So I went back to re-live this.
Hope to score one this year. And a shameless bump, lots of new members since this was posted.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
I missed this one back when but its about the best anyone could do off of a couple of sites.
Is like to have a year like that, you did that in a month!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread