collectorconor

Dec 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euroace
Teknetics EuroTek Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all well I went out to a local field yesterday metal detecting, over 20 degrees Celsius (quite warm) and wasn't expecting to find anything. Ive never found anything REALLY good, nothing to write home about, but little did I know when I got an iffy signal in the 50's on my Teknetics eurotek pro, that all that was about to change. Mind you the IRON cursor was flashing every now and then.
I dug a hole, zoned down to a little clump of earth, and what I saw made my freeze for like 5 minutes!!! Did I just unearth, after a year PLUS of metal detecting, a gold half sovereign? I saw it was dated 1912 (George V ) and that's funny because my uncle gave me a SOVEREIGN dated 1912 a few yrs ago. I had a feeling that good find was coming!!! Boy was I happy!!! I rung my mum straight away and told her, she couldn't believe it!
Stayed for about another hour (maybe id get more :tongue3:) and then went home. It is 22 carat gold. My first piece of gold ever and its a coin! GET IN!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::laughing7::laughing7:
137_0120.JPG 137_0116.JPG

Upvote 25

Mjw38

Aug 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's awesome!! Way to go and HH

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find conor! :occasion14:

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing - great find!!! Once in a lifetime!!!

chkn

Apr 12, 2010
Isn't that a coincidence about the year?! What a beautiful coin!! There might be more where that came from but oh, my, how nice to find even one!!! Hmmm, what might have happened in 1912 for you to find gold there? Might give some hint or clue as to where to find more. Unbelievable!!!

OP
OP
C

collectorconor

Dec 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euroace
Teknetics EuroTek Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone, how do I make this a 'banner find'?
Conor

justdugcrazy

Aug 6, 2013
Oh Wow man I know what you must have felt.The other day I found my first silver not one but two coins!!!! Yeah I know I know it's not GOLD But the feeling I had holding those coins just amazing.......CONGRATS MY FRIEND KEEP DIGGN THERES MORE OUT THERE...AND KEEP POSTIN :-)

gimper

Jul 25, 2013
Illinois far from Chicago
Detector(s) used
CZ-6, White's Eagle 1(both broken) Compass X-100 and no pen to point (why waste batteries)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
congrats

great coin! but not banner sorry. but great find anywhoo !!!! u have a right too be elated.

OP
OP
C

collectorconor

Dec 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euroace
Teknetics EuroTek Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't understand this whole 'banner' thing, how is this not a banner find, theres not much better out there!!

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
BEAUTIFUL COIN -- CONGRATS! :wav::wav: Looks to be in very good condition and with clear, crisp detail, lovely. Wonderful it's same year as the similar one given you by your uncle.

As to banner, my uneducated opinion is that it MIGHT make banner if you post some general history of the area, type of place you dug it (park, old mill, churchyard, ball field, urban area, river, etc.) AND if enough folks here on t-net vote for banner. Rarity and age of coin important also. DO NOT GIVE HISTORICAL DETAILS THAT WOULD GIVE YOUR EXACT DIGGING LOCATION BECAUSE LURKERS WHO ANONOMOUSLY READ POSTS HERE MAY LIVE NEAR YOU AND DETECT YOUR SPOT TO FIND MORE GOLD THERE, NOT GIVING YOU TIME ENOUGH TO DETECT IT FURTHER. HAVE FUN! Andi

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Awesome!....I would lose my mind finding this!...Did you post it in Todays Finds?

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Superb find! Don't be glum about whether it is a banner find or not-- you still have the coin! I once found a massive (130+ grams) gold chain that I thought was a sure-fire winner but when I presented it to my club they all thought it was fake and I got voted down. This even after a jeweler's test and internet search that proved that with that weight it HAD to be genuine!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread