Oldest bullets

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Got these around here. that big mini came out ofa parkway downtown. What was at the time it was fired the edge of town most likely. That long .45 was out in the boonies when it was fired, it's a new park now. The small one came from the edge of one of the towns oldest parks and there were a lot of similar bullets nearby, all old and in the .30 range somewhere.

Attachments

• old bullets.gif
    old bullets.gif
    92.1 KB · Views: 1,597
Upvote 0
M

mchamby

boy they sure look like they would hurt what ever they hit thats for sure.
Nice find
MChamby

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
he first one is a mini-ball type, definately black powder era.? The second is a fairly modern cast rifle bullet, by modern I mean from about WWI to date.? The last one appears to be a wad cutter pistol bullet used for target shooting to make a perfectly round hole in the target.? It could date about the same as the modern rifle bullet..? Tne more of the white patina (lead oxide) on the bullet the older it is usually.? Being nearer to or on the surface can cause a bullet to oxidize faster however.? ?JIM PS. If the "modern" rifle bullet measures 30 caliber I would bet the pistol bullet is a .32 caliber which was a pretty common target caliber back in the 1930's.

T

treaser hunta

A musket ball was the first bullet and it they would put pieces of led in with the ball also known as lead shot. So i think that would be more lethal!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure what you are referring to but it was common to put "grape shot" in cannons for close shots on marching lines of troops. A cannister of grape shot was like a giant shotgun and would take out a dozen or so troops all lined up, very lethal at short range.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice mini! I've got some civil war pieces I'll post soon. Buckels, relics, buttons, bullets, etc. 1 is a 3 ring mini just like yours, others are the ball type, gotta dig em out and snap a pic or 2. Found mine on the many trips down south thru TN, GA, LA, AL, etc. etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread