35.9 KB · Views: 5,390
Upvote 1
D

dugupfinds

TORRERO said:
TXTim said:
That is some old old old silver!
Was it tarnished very bad?

Silver does not tarnish in the ground, as long as it is not exposed to oxygen there.
As long as it remains burried, it will remain clean, hense those silver coins that are dug here in the US
every day that look like they were dropped yesterday.... even though they were lost 1-2-3 hundred years ago.

It would be Rare for a Roman coin which is normally found in ploughed fields not to be exposed to Oxygen. However the ploughing effect does keep them clean sometimes depending on the purity of the silver, ground conditions etc....

Eddy1H

Dec 17, 2006
Rockwall Texas
Detector(s) used
Cz20, Cz6a, 1212X, Minelab, Muskateer Advantage Whites, XLT, Surf PI, Garrett TR
very nice find, wow that is in great shape too
Congrats

Eddy

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Very nice coins bubbas, Congrats!!!
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dugfinds said:
TORRERO said:
TXTim said:

Silver does not tarnish in the ground, as long as it is not exposed to oxygen there.
As long as it remains burried, it will remain clean, hense those silver coins that are dug here in the US
every day that look like they were dropped yesterday.... even though they were lost 1-2-3 hundred years ago.

It would be Rare for a Roman coin which is normally found in ploughed fields not to be exposed to Oxygen. However the ploughing effect does keep them clean sometimes depending on the purity of the silver, ground conditions etc....

Well I'm not sure if that is true either, your assuming that plowing the field places a silver coin on top of the dirt, and that
all silver coins would at some point be clear of soil to the extent to cause tarnishing on silver, but in fact when I lived in Spain, and dug many silver and Roman silver coins, none of them ever came out of the ground really "tarnished"
Sometimes silver will be "stained" so to speak, and I believe this is caused by olterior factors such as Iron, or acidic soil
close to the coin. (such as fertalizer) But tarnish makes silver look dull and dark colored, sometimes even black, such as
your granny's silver service set that was left on the shelf for years and years...
Coins, much older than even Granny, come out of all types of ground and soil, even plowed fields, with hardly any tarnish at all, even after several thousands of years...

Also another thought, when a coin is dropped on the ground, it does not immediatly become burried, but remains on the surface for sometimes as long as 6 months to a year, before being covered by the ground, and yet silver that started that
way (all coins where lost by dropping) turn up without any indication of tarnishing... maybe there is a soil factor that takes
the tarnish off while a coin is in the ground.. ?

so what's the explanation ?

OP
OP
bubbas

bubbas

Aug 31, 2006
holland
tarnishing on silver coins is normal (because of the cows droppings). ;)

the deeper the coin has been under the ground the better the quality is. ;D

when the coin is exposed to air ,then the tarnishing begins. :-\

most silver coins i find are very black ,bud i know how to clean them (with a citron liquid). ;D

thats why i like to find gold (thats always in perfect condition haha). :D :D

gr bubbas ;D (sorry for my englisch) ::)

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 4,242
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 4,226
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 4,198
  • indexCATN3J50.jpg
    indexCATN3J50.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 4,178

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bubbas said:

most silver coins i find are very black ,bud i know how to clean them (with a citron liquid). ;D

Tin foil & abit of spit and you get the same result ;)

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TORRERO said:
dugfinds said:
TORRERO said:
TXTim said:

Well I'm not sure if that is true either, your assuming that plowing the field places a silver coin on top of the dirt, and that
all silver coins would at some point be clear of soil to the extent to cause tarnishing on silver, but in fact when I lived in Spain, and dug many silver and Roman silver coins, none of them ever came out of the ground really "tarnished"
Sometimes silver will be "stained" so to speak, and I believe this is caused by olterior factors such as Iron, or acidic soil
close to the coin. (such as fertalizer) But tarnish makes silver look dull and dark colored, sometimes even black, such as
your granny's silver service set that was left on the shelf for years and years...
Coins, much older than even Granny, come out of all types of ground and soil, even plowed fields, with hardly any tarnish at all, even after several thousands of years...

Also another thought, when a coin is dropped on the ground, it does not immediatly become burried, but remains on the surface for sometimes as long as 6 months to a year, before being covered by the ground, and yet silver that started that
way (all coins where lost by dropping) turn up without any indication of tarnishing... maybe there is a soil factor that takes

Coins exposed to sunlight will turn black, also stubble burning (before it was banned) would account for black Silver Coins.

D

dugupfinds

bubbas said:

I thought you cleaned them but didn't wish to speculate. 90% of my Roman silver coins come out black as you stated.

D

dugupfinds

TORRERO said:
dugfinds said:
TORRERO said:
TXTim said:

One of the reasons the farmers plough is to put air into the soil to help the crops. They also pump the fields year on year with nitrates which have distroyed most Roman Bronze Coins. This would help tarnish silver. Some do come out cleaner than others & there are too many factors to try & guess why that is. I just know from several sources that it is sometimes explained by the turning over & over of the coin in the ploughed soil. If I were lucky enough to find a Roman silver Hoard they tend to come out in a big greeny/black blob & takes many years to unpick.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing coin! I had a silver roman on my wish list but I never found one. Congrats! ;)

yo6oej

Aug 23, 2008
Toplita , Romania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 & Pro Pointer / Detech EDS Plus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice roman coin my friend...congrats :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread