Nov 23, 2013
Bistrita Romania Transilvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pictures link here:
Double Cross ? reliquary bronze | Coin Details

Today was a great day for metaldetecting. Me and other 2 friends have chosen a new location near our town .. a forest area located outside restricted areas and at a considerable distance by them. Once there I take my detector Garrett AT-Pro International from bag and start detecting. After about two hours to walk through the woods I came across a road that was circulated in the past because it was covered with stone and quite trodden. At the first signal my AT Pro detector gave a very strong signal about 20 cm , where we found a cross and was not any cross but a reliquary cross. At first I thought it was a medieval cross, then we constancy that is a 12th century reliquary cross.
I am very happy for this found becaus this crosses are very rare and I had the opportunity to find something like this.
The cross was donated to the museum across our city.

Info about the cross:
Type engolpion
Title/subtype Cross reliquary
Atelier School Kyiv
Material/Technique Bronze, casting
Dating Sec. XII XIII

Double Cross reliquary, bronze, Kyiv, It keeps both halves of the cross entirely, including hinges to catch the ears and closed at the ends of the vertical arms. In front of the first half, in the middle Christ on the cross. The horizontal arms of the cross, above and beneath the hands of Christ, worn inscriptions indecipherable. At the ends of the same arms and upper boom tip, one circular medallion bust. On the face of the second half, Mother Mary with baby Jesus in her arms, on her left hand. For a side, indecipherable letters. Medallions with busts of saints on the same ends of the cross arms, as the first half.

I can not wait to go to the next metal detecting with my At- Pro in the area, who knows what youll find it.
Until next time I wish you happy digging!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread