jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there will always be those that believe, because they didn't have luck too, that your planting.? :( Jealousy takes all forums.? ;)? ?CONGRATS ! Jeff

searcher

Oct 4, 2004
Hill Country TEXAS
Detector(s) used
White's. Old, yellow but still waterproof!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds! when you find a ring that a skeptic lost, "i stole it off your finger and then planted it" ha
then they'll believe you... maybe.
searcher

OnionRings

Dec 15, 2004
Denver, Colorado

I'm glad that your finding rings now! I have realized that the people that don't believe are the ones not hunting very much or using to high of discrimination and passing over the rings which is fine by me because they leave them in the ground for people like us to find! ;D

I'm glad to know that I was able to help some people on this board it means a lot! Thanks for taking my advice and proving my methods work!!!!

Onion

OP
OP

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
You da man Onion. I have found two others besides these (before I bought my camera), two necklaces and several charms since "following" you around on this site. Loving it.

OP
OP

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I'm using that fancy Tesoro Cortez. I cranked the discrimination way down and stopped looking at the screen. Instant success. I can't explain it but for some reason I'm also finding more silver coins at this setting. Almost like my machine is locked in to silver. Same machine, same old spots. I've had decent success with silver before but not like I'm experiencing now. Maybe it's my confidence?

My brother was hunting with me Saturday and before we turned our machines on I told him I was going to find a ring. Bang, third and sixth targets were rings. Eleventh target was a sterling silver necklace charm (big and heavy). 22nd target was a 1962 quarter. The site is the county school, grades 1-12, built in 1957. I have hunted it so many times not to mention it gets hit pretty heavy by others. It's the same place that I dug my two "pre camera" rings, necklaces and charms. Doubtful that any of them are recent drops as 3 inches was the shallowest ring while the nice one this weekend was at 5 1/2 inches. One guy that hunts there all the time told someone else.."ain't no way he's finding that stuff there", "I hunt it all the time". Don't you just love it!

OnionRings

Dec 15, 2004
Denver, Colorado

I don't care what anyone says no park is ever hunted out there's always something there especially if the park is old.

I don't know if you grid area's when you search but if you do this will increase your finds also.

What I do is find an area that is producing and I stop and layout a grid try this if you don't already do this.

Have Fun,

Onion

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Nice Finds 1320. Glad to see you're getting the stuff so many (including yourself) have walked past. Is there writing on the old ring in the lower left near the stone? Looks like there's something there. Congrats and many happy returns~CO2

C

Copper

I really enjoyed reading these postings. They remind me of an experience I had several years ago. I thought I had thoroughly searched out an old park. I had taken several nice rings and loads of coins out of it. Most of the stuff was old and deep (deep for 1983).

I was driving by that park one day (ca. 1990) and I spotted someone working it. I stopped to see if the fellow would chat a bit. He was friendly and showed me the items he had found that morning. I couldn't believe my eyes! He had some really nice silver coins. I followed along for a bit and saw him dig a nice silver standing liberty quarter (as I recall).

The lesson I learned that day was that metal detecting is more than waving a search coil over the ground. While it is important to have a quality machine, the skill of the treasure hunter is what makes the difference. One person finds only pull-tabs and junk while another person using the same type of detector finds silver coins and gold rings. Yes, it's true...it does happen.

D

Darod

1320 and Onion,

My question is this,....i hunt the parks in my area everyday! They are loaded with so much trash that I wouldn't move a foot in an hour if I dug every signal! What do you guys suggest in this type of environment?

Rod

OP
OP

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Darod said:
1320 and Onion,

My question is this,....i hunt the parks in my area everyday!? They are loaded with so much trash that I wouldn't move a foot in an hour if I dug every signal!? What do you guys suggest in this type of environment?

Rod

Onion can better answer this than I can, hope he'll respond. As for me, the rings that I've found recently are at a high school and it gets detected a bunch so alot of the trash is getting removed. The area where I found the nice ring (pictured above) was in a relatively trashy area so I just slowed down and dug every target. With my machine, I can better "separate" the targets with my discrimination cranked way down low. What I mean by "separate" is that I can isolate the targets with my ear even when they are nearly on top of each other. Combined with slowing way down, that nice ring sounded like a cannon. That ring was at 3 inches and in an area I've hit many times, no telling how many times I've walked over it. Matter of fact, both rings were in that same area. I've been thinking of down sizing my search coil, that may help?????

resurector

Mar 11, 2005
Hills near Eureka,Ca
Rod said:
1320 and Onion,

My question is this,....i hunt the parks in my area everyday!? They are loaded with so much trash that I wouldn't move a foot in an hour if I dug every signal!? What do you guys suggest in this type of environment?

Rod
Rod--
Im sure Onionhead & 1320 will agree- You'll be amazed at what a sniper coil will do in trashy sites.You have a better chance of getting between the trash, and masking wont have so much affect... Good Luck--resurector

Mystro7

Mar 30, 2005
Fabulous rings!!!!!!!!!! I know I went a park that was "hunted out" and thats why I was digging most everything and found the 2 rings I posted a while back. Also I would not have dug them if it werent for the info ive gotten from you ring hounds! I cant imagine why people wouldnt believe you cant find rings? lol Way to go, good luck on your next hunt!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread