burlybob

Tenderfoot
Mar 22, 2012
southern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO,Minelab E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never gave buttons I found much thought, and would put them in a plastic tub and let them soak in olive oil. Yesterday I figured I would clean them up and found this. listed in Alberts button book (1977) as OD 11. Can't read the back mark, Should I try to clean it more ? Does anyone have more information. time frame used, rarity, value ? Found in southern Ohio. BURLYBOB IMG_8011.JPG IMG_8015.JPG

Upvote 0

conny50

Jan 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really appreciate the kind of topics you post here.

bofusmosby

Apr 28, 2011
Tampa Florida
Detector(s) used
Many many different ones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only seen one other come to light of the 40+ years of hunting. It came from Fort Brooke in Tampa Florida. Fort Brooke was active from 1824 - 1883. My guess would be that your button dates in the 1820's to 1830's. Very rare button. Very nice find!

OP
OP
B

burlybob

Tenderfoot
Mar 22, 2012
southern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO,Minelab E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bofusmosby, Thanks for your reply. I only found one other button like this on the web. Must not be that much interest in diplomatic buttons. On another note, wish I was in Florida about now. 10 degrees here and 5" of snow. Thanks again and happy new year. BURLYBOB

bofusmosby

Apr 28, 2011
Tampa Florida
Detector(s) used
Many many different ones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
. I only found one other button like this on the web. Must not be that much interest in diplomatic buttons. BURLYBOB

You are mistaken on this. These buttons are so rare, there are very few out there. Most will hunt a lifetime, and never find one of these.

As far as being in Florida, we are getting some cooler weather soon. Down near freezing next week. BUT, compared to other places, yup, there is no comparison. At least down here, the ground never freezes. The winter is the best time to hunt the woods down here. The cold kills off all the weeds and underbrush, and usually no snakes to worry about. It'sd supposed to be in the upper 70's this weekend I believe. Then, the temp will drop. Lived down here all my life, and there is no way I could take the cold that others can handle.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread