Confederate Graffiti Bullet

Sep 24, 2013
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000-Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello everybody. I was referred to this site by a buddy of mine who is a member here already. I made a pretty fascinating find a few months ago and wanted to share it with all of you. I was invited by (Rockydig) to hunt one of Barksdales 13th Mississippi infantry regiment encampments in Northern Virginia. On some of the pervious hunts Rocky and his father had unearthed five beautiful Mississippi "I" buttons. So once I received that call to hunt with them I was so excited. Unfortunately no buttons where found that day, I had recovered four bullets and some melted lead knowing that the spot we had just hunted was a spot that would produce quality not quantity relics, I was still happy with my finds. That evening when I got home I placed my finds on a paper towel next to the sink just like I do every time I go detecting. A few days had past and I decided to clean the bullets and of course I started with the only enfield dug that day. I cleaned the base first hoping for a letter or a number but with no luck I started cleaning the outside of the bullet. I immediately noticed what I looked like letters and words showing, I shook my head a few times in disbelief and readjusted my eyes. Once I finished cleaning the bullet I was able to read what was engraved on the side of it and called Rocky to tell him the great news.

The bullet is a .577 enfield and the writing says: G.M. Mott
On the other side - a message to President Lincoln: To Old Abe

The soldier who wrote on the bullet was George M Mott. George signed on in June 13, 1861 at the age of 21 with Company E 13th Mississippi Infantry as a private. He fought from Manassas in 1861 all the way through Fisher's Hill or Cedar Creek in 1864. George was fortunate to make it through the war without getting wounded but was captured April 3, 1865 and paroled on April 18th. After the war he became a physician and lived until 1906.

Hope you all enjoy it and thanks for viewing!

photo (3) (640x480).jpg photo (2) (640x480).jpg photo (1) (640x480).jpg

Upvote 29

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
incredible find. that is really cool.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is truly an incredible and very personal piece of history. Thank you for taking the time to share that with is. Everyone on here has nothing but respect for an item like that. I was named Abe after President Lincoln so it's really cool for me to see that. Thanks again

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
How rare of a find is this. The fact you found a dropped bullet with the CSA soldier's name on it and a personal message, and were able to then turn around and research this gentleman and his history. Very cool!

ODA 226

Jan 5, 2014
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett Sea Hunter MK II
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab Go Find 60
Land and Sea Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting and cool find, congrats!

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have seen two other bullets dug with writing, but they don't come close to comparing to yours. Super find.

tennessee

Feb 8, 2013
East tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
CONGRATULATIONS!! Awesome find. Great research. WOW, the most interesting save I've seen in years. Thanks for sharing.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A very unique find indeed, as stated before it's "Banner worthy".

White Akuma

May 2, 2012
Dolly Sods, WV
Detector(s) used
Ace 250,
ATGOLD!!
xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very, very, very nice! I'd definitely be flipping my lid if I seen that come to light.

OP
OP
Jason in Southern Md
Sep 24, 2013
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you everyone for your kind comments. Banner worthy or not really didn't matter to me but I do appreciate those who did vote banner :hello2: I just had to share this unique find with everyone who truly cares. I'm looking for insight on where I could put it on loan (museum?) for others to enjoy as well. Do any of you happen to know of any reputable dealers that could appraise this for me? If you could provide any insight please send me a PM. Glad to be a part of such a great online community. Thanks again everyone!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'll bet you were thrilled to see those letters looking back at you,very unusual find.

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett 2500 GTI, Garrett AT Pro & AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I vote Banner! To find a 'signature' on this is so rare and personal. This bullet has been on my mind all day!! Thanks for sharing this story!

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOW what you should do is locate family members and see if they would like to purchase this EXTREMELY RARE item for their family!

Mike

OP
OP
Jason in Southern Md
Sep 24, 2013
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NOW what you should do is locate family members and see if they would like to purchase this EXTREMELY RARE item for their family! Mike
Hey mike I appreciate your suggestion by contacting the extended family of Mott but I've had little to no luck what so ever going that route. Thanks Jason

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very awesome find. Thanks for sharing. BTW - voted for banner.

OP
OP
Jason in Southern Md
Sep 24, 2013
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys thanks for viewing again! I'm glad you all enjoy this bullet as much as I do. And again thanks to all that have voted BANNER, but being that this is my first post on the site they won't put it up there. Thank you all again ever much!

diggyboy

Jun 10, 2013
Wow that is truly an important and amazing piece of history! Thats probably one of the coolest relics I have ever seen! Thanks for sharing!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread