Confederate Graffiti Bullet

Sep 24, 2013
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000-Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello everybody. I was referred to this site by a buddy of mine who is a member here already. I made a pretty fascinating find a few months ago and wanted to share it with all of you. I was invited by (Rockydig) to hunt one of Barksdales 13th Mississippi infantry regiment encampments in Northern Virginia. On some of the pervious hunts Rocky and his father had unearthed five beautiful Mississippi "I" buttons. So once I received that call to hunt with them I was so excited. Unfortunately no buttons where found that day, I had recovered four bullets and some melted lead knowing that the spot we had just hunted was a spot that would produce quality not quantity relics, I was still happy with my finds. That evening when I got home I placed my finds on a paper towel next to the sink just like I do every time I go detecting. A few days had past and I decided to clean the bullets and of course I started with the only enfield dug that day. I cleaned the base first hoping for a letter or a number but with no luck I started cleaning the outside of the bullet. I immediately noticed what I looked like letters and words showing, I shook my head a few times in disbelief and readjusted my eyes. Once I finished cleaning the bullet I was able to read what was engraved on the side of it and called Rocky to tell him the great news.

The bullet is a .577 enfield and the writing says: G.M. Mott
On the other side - a message to President Lincoln: To Old Abe

The soldier who wrote on the bullet was George M Mott. George signed on in June 13, 1861 at the age of 21 with Company E 13th Mississippi Infantry as a private. He fought from Manassas in 1861 all the way through Fisher's Hill or Cedar Creek in 1864. George was fortunate to make it through the war without getting wounded but was captured April 3, 1865 and paroled on April 18th. After the war he became a physician and lived until 1906.

Hope you all enjoy it and thanks for viewing!

photo (3) (640x480).jpg photo (2) (640x480).jpg photo (1) (640x480).jpg

Upvote 29
OP
OP
Jason in Southern Md
Sep 24, 2013
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000-Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, like TN said it is certainly a great find no doubt there at all but it does not qualify for banner.

All banner finds must have been found while a member here.

3%

Last edited:

Tony in Virginia

Dec 14, 2012
King and Queen County Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC / FISHER GOLDBUG
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is priceless. And those buttons aint half bad either. Great finds!
Hello everybody. I was referred to this site by a buddy of mine who is a member here already. I made a pretty fascinating find a few months ago and wanted to share it with all of you. I was invited by (Rockydig) to hunt one of Barksdales 13th Mississippi infantry regiment encampments in Northern Virginia. On some of the pervious hunts Rocky and his father had unearthed five beautiful Mississippi "I" buttons. So once I received that call to hunt with them I was so excited. Unfortunately no buttons where found that day, I had recovered four bullets and some melted lead knowing that the spot we had just hunted was a spot that would produce quality not quantity relics, I was still happy with my finds. That evening when I got home I placed my finds on a paper towel next to the sink just like I do every time I go detecting. A few days had past and I decided to clean the bullets and of course I started with the only enfield dug that day. I cleaned the base first hoping for a letter or a number but with no luck I started cleaning the outside of the bullet. I immediately noticed what I looked like letters and words showing, I shook my head a few times in disbelief and readjusted my eyes. Once I finished cleaning the bullet I was able to read what was engraved on the side of it and called Rocky to tell him the great news.

The bullet is a .577 enfield and the writing says: G.M. Mott
On the other side - a message to President Lincoln: To Old Abe

The soldier who wrote on the bullet was George M Mott. George signed on in June 13, 1861 at the age of 21 with Company E 13th Mississippi Infantry as a private. He fought from Manassas in 1861 all the way through Fisher's Hill or Cedar Creek in 1864. George was fortunate to make it through the war without getting wounded but was captured April 3, 1865 and paroled on April 18th. After the war he became a physician and lived until 1906.

Hope you all enjoy it and thanks for viewing!

View attachment 927834 View attachment 927835 View attachment 927836

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread