Confederate Graffiti Bullet

Sep 24, 2013
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000-Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello everybody. I was referred to this site by a buddy of mine who is a member here already. I made a pretty fascinating find a few months ago and wanted to share it with all of you. I was invited by (Rockydig) to hunt one of Barksdales 13th Mississippi infantry regiment encampments in Northern Virginia. On some of the pervious hunts Rocky and his father had unearthed five beautiful Mississippi "I" buttons. So once I received that call to hunt with them I was so excited. Unfortunately no buttons where found that day, I had recovered four bullets and some melted lead knowing that the spot we had just hunted was a spot that would produce quality not quantity relics, I was still happy with my finds. That evening when I got home I placed my finds on a paper towel next to the sink just like I do every time I go detecting. A few days had past and I decided to clean the bullets and of course I started with the only enfield dug that day. I cleaned the base first hoping for a letter or a number but with no luck I started cleaning the outside of the bullet. I immediately noticed what I looked like letters and words showing, I shook my head a few times in disbelief and readjusted my eyes. Once I finished cleaning the bullet I was able to read what was engraved on the side of it and called Rocky to tell him the great news.

The bullet is a .577 enfield and the writing says: G.M. Mott
On the other side - a message to President Lincoln: To Old Abe

The soldier who wrote on the bullet was George M Mott. George signed on in June 13, 1861 at the age of 21 with Company E 13th Mississippi Infantry as a private. He fought from Manassas in 1861 all the way through Fisher's Hill or Cedar Creek in 1864. George was fortunate to make it through the war without getting wounded but was captured April 3, 1865 and paroled on April 18th. After the war he became a physician and lived until 1906.

Hope you all enjoy it and thanks for viewing!

photo (3) (640x480).jpg photo (2) (640x480).jpg photo (1) (640x480).jpg

Upvote 29

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing bullet, and thanks for the story of the soldier that lost it.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I love it, a great one of a kind find, and personalized to boot. That would have made my day.

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find! I've got several carved bullets, But nothing like that! What an awesome piece of history :notworthy:

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. I'd say that's a banner find for sure. You just don't see that every day, man. Congrats to you!

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. I'd say that's a banner find for sure. You just don't see that every day, man. Congrats to you!
I agree looks banner to me too!

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, by the way I just voted banner!

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
I agree that this is for sure BANNER worthy but I dont think that it will qualify because it is your first post.

Banner or not, that is one incredible find!!

VPR

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! Banner for sure!

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Jason,

Welcome to this place. I'm glad your friend directed you our way. That is a banner bullet & backstory. Thanks for showing your remarkable find.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Jason,

Welcome to this place. I'm glad your friend directed you our way. That is a banner bullet & backstory. Thanks for showing your remarkable find.

I agree, that is one very rare and unusual piece of history. Fantastic post!!! I'm voting BANNER too.

Surf,
Thanks for that grave stone photo. Great job. :thumbsup:

-MM-

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a really interesting find, that would had been a good one for a in situ picture.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find for sure. No doubt banner if it was a recent find and not your very first post. But that being said we know you did not stop by for that but to share a great piece of history. By the way when members say banner they are giving your find the highest praise. So I have to say banner as well. I would love to dig an enfield with old english script and as significant as that!
Welcome to T-Net!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions