Ceremonial Iberic or roman short sword( Falcata)

Ricardo Santos

Greenie
Mar 31, 2012
Portugal
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmaxx power
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
punhal 7.JPG SAM_1938.JPG SAM_2018.JPG falcata hoje (11).JPG falcata hoje (12).JPG falcata hoje (7).JPG falcata hoje (8).JPG falcata hoje (9).JPG falcata hoje (5).JPG falcata hoje (2).JPG falcata hoje (3).JPG falcata hoje (1).JPG

As you can see the blade was broken so i restored it using museologic procedures and it´s quite nice, i´ve done many great finds but this 2000 years old type of sword was the best one. Any coments you would like to make feel free.

Greetings

Upvote 5

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Ricardo Santos!! CONGRATS!! Really Great Find!! WOW!! Restoration looks fantastic!! Thanks for sharing the photos!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Saaaaawweeeet

OP
OP
R

Ricardo Santos

Greenie
Mar 31, 2012
Portugal
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmaxx power
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goose falcata is a name given to a type of sword made only on the actual iberic peninsula,the first ones seems to have been made arround the fifth century bc

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have visited Port. twice was told it was illegal to detect there
I tried once and was almost arrested

OP
OP
R

Ricardo Santos

Greenie
Mar 31, 2012
Portugal
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmaxx power
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casper , you´re right its kind of forbidden to to detect in portugal, but knowing the law its easier to avoid problems.
Greetings

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My lord that is a magnificent Falcata. I've watched the eBay market for 14 years and don't recall seeing a superior example. The inlaid bronze handle is extraordinary, definitely a 4-figure artifact. Why do you think it is a ceremonial piece?

OP
OP
R

Ricardo Santos

Greenie
Mar 31, 2012
Portugal
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmaxx power
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think its a ceremonial piece because of the bronze handle, and because it was found near a bronze oil lamp, both artifacts were common in early roman pagan temples before christianity, the falcata was possibly used to cut animal throats during sacrifices.
Greetings

bofusmosby

Apr 28, 2011
Tampa Florida
Detector(s) used
Many many different ones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking sword, but to me, the most impressive part is the restoration work you have done. Outstanding!!!

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goosebumps! and the restoration is fascinating. Silver inlay? This website gives many examples of similar sicae, well-known in roman times. The reference shows a couple of bronze age predecessors to the falcata that look very, very similar. Being bronze, the blades are in a much better state of preservation than your iron one, and in fact, were made in one piece with the handle. Greek and Roman Knife and Sword Vocabulary - History - Bladesmith's Forum Board
I'm surprised no one has mentioned banner. It's a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Relic & Restoration

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got my vote and especially with the history and restoration. Nice find sir.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions