TN colonial finds

capsmith

Jan 10, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found these at one old house site.I ant done yet.
Anyone have any info on the button and shell caseing.
Roaring River 006.JPG
Roaring River 002.JPG Roaring River 003.JPG Roaring River 004.JPG 001.JPG Roaring River 001.JPG

Upvote 1
OP
OP
C

capsmith

Jan 10, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had trouble wiith post and ediit. These are the ones I have questiion about. The shells are center fiire wiith priimer made inside.The one on the left has a hole in the back and top edge ( I have about 7 of them),These are the button I have questions about . Looiks like they are made out of pewter. Roaring River 002.JPG
Roaring River 004.JPG

Klclark3

Banned
Apr 20, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Discovery 3300, AT GOLD, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a button Identical to the one you have there with the rim and big circle with many around it.

1stColonialRegiment

Mar 1, 2014
New England
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the buttons. I think they are pewter after looking at the picture. I would make a mixture of mostly water with a little Elmer's glue and brush it onto the buttons. If you do not they will crack and fall apart. The shells seem later, probably late 19th c.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love those little buttons! Someone will come along soon who will know more about your casings.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Someone will come along soon who will know more about your casings.
They are called pinfire. Probably Civil War era or so. You're onto a good spot. Where in Tennessee ? I'm in Greene County. North East corner.

Attachments

• pinfire.jpg
    pinfire.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 283
  • Lefaucheux-Model-1854-Pinfire-Revolver.jpg
    Lefaucheux-Model-1854-Pinfire-Revolver.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Capsmith sent me a Private Message, asking me to identify the cartridge-casings.

The one on the left, having a round-bottomed base with a pinhole in the center, is definitely a civil-war-through 1870s yankee .50-caliber Gallager Carbine bullet-casing.

The middle two casings SEEM to show a section of indented line a little bit above the casing's base-rim, which means they are "Benet-primer" casings, and that means they are 1868-through-1882. Those two casings look too damaged to get an accurate measurement of their diameter... so I can only roughly estimate their caliber, as .50 or perhaps a little larger. Being about the same length as the Gallager casing, I think they are .50-70 Springfield Rifle bullet-casings. To see some examples of Benet-primer .50-70 cartridges (and info about them), go to the following webpage and scroll about halfway down the page. Note, the indented line does not COMPLETELY encircle the casing. If that's not what I'm seeing on your two casing, let me know.
THE CARTRIDGE COLLECTOR

The casing on the far right in your photo also seems to be too damaged for an accurate diameter-measurement. My estimation is that it looks to be .50"-diameter or a little larger. Based on that, and being much shorter than your other three casings, I think it is probably a .52-caliber Spencer casing, That type also dates from the civil war through the 1870s or a bit later. The civil war ones didn't have the Benet-primer indentions on the casing's side.

Here's a photo of a Benet-primed (1868-1882) casing for the postwar .58 Alin-conversion Springfield Rifle.

Attachments

• cartridge_POSTWAR_Benet-primer_58-caliber_1866-Allin-Martin-conversion-Springfield_photobyIanWor.jpg
    cartridge_POSTWAR_Benet-primer_58-caliber_1866-Allin-Martin-conversion-Springfield_photobyIanWor.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
OP
OP
C

capsmith

Jan 10, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheCannomballGuy-----Sir you are 100% correct on all .I took a look at the site and also looked up the Spencer and the Gallager. Thank you much.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions