Rare Coin Trifecta...over 5 years! Lets see your scarce or rare finds!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Rare Coin Trifecta...over 5 years! Let's see your scarce or rare finds!

Not many people are lucky enough to dig an actual rare coin. Even less have dug more than 1. Two weeks back I was lucky enough to dig my THIRD rare coin (R-5 or better), and I was wondering how many, like myself have been fortunate enough to have dug a scarce coin, R-3 or better on the Sheldon Rarity Scale.

If you're part of the Club, post your photos!

Below are my prized rare finds, showing most recent first:

1788 Ryder 5 Vermont Copper (R-5) that I dug last week,

1795 Flowing Hair Half Dime that I dug a few years back (R-5)

1789 Half Reale IV over III, NG Mint (R-6 or better?)

Attachments

• 1293057_10152319976249878_1364989698_o.jpg
    1293057_10152319976249878_1364989698_o.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 511
  • 1909267_10152319976254878_1791234939_o.jpg
    1909267_10152319976254878_1791234939_o.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 519
  • 005a.JPG
    005a.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 581
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 560
  • 010-1.JPG
    010-1.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 555
Upvote 9

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny, to me seeing a rare dug coin seems so much more authentic than seeing a museum piece.

In a way yes because it seems more personal, but in a way no because many museum items have a pedigree that tells more of the story, and a good example of this is the MASS silver in the time capsule that recently made the news vs a MASS silver found with a detector.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny, to me seeing a rare dug coin seems so much more authentic than seeing a museum piece.

I think it just makes it seem so much more attainable to see something dug. You see a museum piece and you automatically think that it must be super super rare. But you see one come from the ground by a guy just like you and I and you think "why not me"?" I know when I first started detecting the thought of finding a coin from the 1800s seemed like the pinnacle. I was absolutely shocked when I pulled an Irish half penny early on. Then I saw some of the finds on here and realized what was possible. That first Spanish silver was like winning the lottery. Big beautiful 2 Reales. Not even in my dreams did I imagine Mass silver was possible. Now I think why not a NE Shilling or a disme lol. But you get the idea. We know they're out there. IP has dug items that at the time were possibly unique or very very rare. Then somebody else nails one. Look at Buck. What are the chances? Not good? Well if you search the correct sites it's a lot more possible then we may believe

Eureka!

Mar 11, 2014
Northeast Coast USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO 5x8 Coil - VULCAN 360 Pinpointer -Lesche Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The old "ground effect"! My half dime would have gone for $20K if it wasn't a dug coin! Of course if it wasn't found in the ground it would have cost a pretty penny!

I read some where here on TNET that you should not let anyone know that a rare coin was dug but let the grader decide if it has "Environmental Damage" vs. "recovered underground." status.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read some where here on TNET that you should not let anyone know that a rare coin was dug but let the grader decide if it has "Environmental Damage" vs. "recovered underground." status.

I was actually discussing this on Tnet yesterday. I was mainly referring to coin shops but there's no reason to say anything about how it was found. That preconceived notion can hurt you. I know that a lot of coin guys will automatically just cut the price in half because you say the word "dug". It is possible to find a coin that has incredible condition and may not appear to be dug. So I wouldn't put it out there. My buddy who owns a coin shop could not believe the condition of my dug tree coin. He always says he doesn't care where it comes from. If it appeals to his eye that's what matters.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it just makes it seem so much more attainable to see something dug. You see a museum piece and you automatically think that it must be super super rare. But you see one come from the ground by a guy just like you and I and you think "why not me"?" I know when I first started detecting the thought of finding a coin from the 1800s seemed like the pinnacle. I was absolutely shocked when I pulled an Irish half penny early on. Then I saw some of the finds on here and realized what was possible. That first Spanish silver was like winning the lottery. Big beautiful 2 Reales. Not even in my dreams did I imagine Mass silver was possible. Now I think why not a NE Shilling or a disme lol. But you get the idea. We know they're out there. IP has dug items that at the time were possibly unique or very very rare. Then somebody else nails one. Look at Buck. What are the chances? Not good? Well if you search the correct sites it's a lot more possible then we may believe

I have a very good laugh when I think back to what I expected to find when I started, and what the holy grail find was on my want list. It's funny because I beat the grail many times, and by a lot.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know I've said that along the way, and it shouldn't make a difference because the grader sees what he's going to see... but I also believe that there has to be some borderline calls when it comes to grading so I would definitely not want to offer any kind of negative info. going in.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was actually discussing this on Tnet yesterday. I was mainly referring to coin shops but there's no reason to say anything about how it was found. That preconceived notion can hurt you. I know that a lot of coin guys will automatically just cut the price in half because you say the word "dug". It is possible to find a coin that has incredible condition and may not appear to be dug. So I wouldn't put it out there. My buddy who owns a coin shop could not believe the condition of my dug tree coin. He always says he doesn't care where it comes from. If it appeals to his eye that's what matters.

Many dug coins or even non dug don't have to be scrutinized that much because they don't have the value, and what you see with the naked eye is good enough for approx. grade or value. Now if you get into something seriously rare or valuable that's a whole different story. Just look at how many non graded coins sell on ebay, and by no means are they all cheap. For dug coins it's the obvious problems, or bad cleaning that gets ya. Non dug coins have problems too.

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
With all of the treasure being dug, coins, buttons, relics, gold..... Show me another WHOLE harmonica:tongue3:

VPR

Attachments

• 006_1_4.JPG
    006_1_4.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 99

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a nice $20,000.00 handfull.

HPIM5043.JPG

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They may be unhatched chickens but when and if they do hatch they will be CHAMPION CHICKENS :headbang:

VPR

I consider any of us who are in possession of these unhatched eggs to be a lucky bunch. Very few who do what we do are lucky enough to have one, much less two rare and valuable pieces in our collections. I know mine is worth more to me personally than it is financially. So it remains in it's nest

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I consider any of us who are in possession of these unhatched eggs to be a lucky bunch. Very few who do what we do are lucky enough to have one, much less two rare and valuable pieces in our collections. I know mine is worth more to me personally than it is financially. So it remains in it's nest

I've had a few eggs myself and some were worth more to me, and some worth more to others. They seem harder to come by now so chances are most in the future will be worth more to me, but it still will be based on many factors if or when it happens again.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Eureka!

Mar 11, 2014
Northeast Coast USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO 5x8 Coil - VULCAN 360 Pinpointer -Lesche Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's not easy (for some) to state or decide what is the best thing to do with finds which can be cashed in for mucho $$$$$$. It's easy to guess what the decision may be for someone finding TREASURE that's equivalent to their annual salary will be or how about the Guy/Gal whom has maybe 10 years left before they have one foot in the grave.

Anything that that I find which has a high value is going to auction, lickety split. A PHOTO (like the one above), for me would be the only memory or proof that would be needed for me to bring a LIFETIME of satisfaction that I once found and held TREASURE.

The TREASURE itself doesn't mean much to me; what means more is the fact that I once LOCATED IT! That's the value for me.

BuckleBoy said it the best - "it still would be based on MANY FACTORS if or when it happens again."

-BUT-

Holding hands with an "item" is not for me; a handshake is plenty good enough - SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not easy (for some) to state or decide what is the best thing to do with finds which can be cashed in for mucho $$$$$$. It's easy to guess what the decision may be for someone finding TREASURE that's equivalent to their annual salary will be or how about the Guy/Gal whom has maybe 10 years left before they have one foot in the grave.

Anything that that I find which has a high value is going to auction, lickety split. A PHOTO (like the one above), for me would be the only memory or proof that would be needed for me to bring a LIFETIME of satisfaction that I once found and held TREASURE.

The TREASURE itself doesn't mean much to me; what means more is the fact that I once LOCATED IT! That's the value for me.

BuckleBoy said it the best - "it still would be based on MANY FACTORS if or when it happens again."

-BUT-

Holding hands with an "item" is not for me; a handshake is plenty good enough - SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!

For me I have this very romantic idea of having this big beautiful collection in 20 years and being able to walk in there and look at it all and pick it up. Then think back to the day I found it. But I'm very new at this so maybe that will change at some point. I'm picturing 8 Mass silvers right there as the centerpiece.....ok time to wake up lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread