**UPDATE** 1806 Large Cent.. Nicest I have ever seen!! Im slabbing it!!!

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
**UPDATE** 1806 Large Cent.. Nicest I have ever seen!! I'm slabbing it!!!

I dug this out of the dirt pulled from the cellar of a smokehouse that had just been rebuilt.. it was about 1 inch in the ground~ the pictures say the rest..

Thanks..

Ok.. I'm adding to this.. since so many people have said I should slab this large penny...

Who wants to see me slab it? I am torn.. I like being able to "handle" my dug stuff.. but I have to admit.. I am curious to see what it would grade...

So.. what do I do??

MonkeyBoy

On 7/13/2007.. MonkeyBoy Wrote: OK.. I have decided to get it graded. I'm going hit that puppy with some 0000 steel wool and get it nice and shiny then send it off!! Ah..the steelwool was a JOKE before I get flamed!! I'm going to take it too a coin shop next week and submit it... I'll post additional pictures when it comes back... Sure would like to see it hit AU!!

MonkeyBoy

Attachments

• 1806o.jpg
    1806o.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 4,530
  • 1806r.jpg
    1806r.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 4,545
Upvote 0

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
Re: 1806 Large Cent.. Nicest I have ever seen!!

WOW! That is one pretty penny. Glad to see it weathered the years so nicely waiting for you.
HH,
Donny

D

dugupfinds

Nice when that happens :)

goldgrubber

Jan 26, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites 5900, Minelab Excalibur

Amazing condition! Thats one gorgeous little coin.

lionhrt9

Dec 10, 2005
NW Indiana, there's silver in dem grounds!!!
Detector(s) used
Minelab (Xterra50) and Garrett (Ace 250)<-Gone to dad in Montana

Just set that one as my desktop!! SLAB it worth alot of money preserved. Your in the right spots for hunting.

wonderful find!!!

mercenary

Oct 4, 2006
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2200

Absolutely beautiful. Get it slabbed, it's well worth the investment!

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

awesome coin!!

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Absolutely beautiful!!!

I have seen some nice ones come out of the ground...but that old coin is about as nice as it gets!!! Congrats!!

SilverDreams

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2005
Vinemont, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

That is in excellent condition!

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

Just looked in Photograde, and the Blue book and Red book. I don't think I'm too liberal at grading, but the details on that coin are AU. Probably with the corrosion, which ain't bad at all, it'll net out to EF.

1500 bucks retail sound about right? ;)

mercenary

Oct 4, 2006
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2200

Jeffro said:
Just looked in Photograde, and the Blue book and Red book. I don't think I'm too liberal at grading, but the details on that coin are AU. Probably with the corrosion, which ain't bad at all, it'll net out to EF.

1500 bucks retail sound about right? ;)
in 2004, it would have fetched more than $1400 in EF condition. This one looks to be a bit better than EF; they actually don't grade higher than that in the red book! 348,000 of these were made; this is one rare coin!

Have you gotten it slabbed yet?

D

dugupfinds

MonkeyBoy said:
Well.. hm... I had thought about getting it slabbed but I had a 1838 Quarter slabbed and was not real happy with the grade.. Here is the link

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,78424.msg573814.html#msg573814

I'll have to think about it... it just seems with it being green and all... not sure it is worth it...

MonkeyBoy

Who cares about grading, I guess your not selling it anyway, and if you did someone would still pay the amount that YOU want anyway - right?

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

Very nice! not sure I have ever seen one that pretty!

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i

dugfinds said:
MonkeyBoy said:
Well.. hm... I had thought about getting it slabbed but I had a 1838 Quarter slabbed and was not real happy with the grade.. Here is the link

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,78424.msg573814.html#msg573814

I'll have to think about it... it just seems with it being green and all... not sure it is worth it...

MonkeyBoy

Who cares about grading, I guess your not selling it anyway, and if you did someone would still pay the amount that YOU want anyway - right?

Yeah.. I kind of agree on that! I have never sold anything and don't plan to... I don't think I will ever find one like it again so gotta keep it!!

MonkeyBoy

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX

I would have a hard time selling that one. I can't believe you pulled that one out of the dirt, but the green proves it! If it hasn't had any exposure it would be a nice copper color. Must have been dropped close to mintage too. Usually when those things are found (and not corroded) they are worn smooth becuase they were riding around in someones pocket for 80 years. It would have to be worth quite a bit more than 1500 dollars for me to dump it. Now if it were a rare button or buckle...straight to eBay.

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX

MonkeyBoy said:

...and I like that dark green patina better than the copper color. Slab that sucker. I would. Yeah, they are going to grade it lower than you would like. That's their job. They have to be conservative with grading, but dugfinds is right. You aren't going to sell it unless you can get what YOU believe it's worth anyway. slab-it, slab-it, slab-it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions