Feb 24, 2014
So calif
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Makro pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A treasure I didn't expect.

Hello all,

This is my first find other than gold and I had to share. Three weeks ago I was at the East Fork of the San Gabriel river in Ca. I have been a gold prospector for about thirty years and have been poking around in this river for the same amount of time. This canyon has a large history of gold mining and was very active from the 1850's to the 1930's. The canyon had many saloons, stores and structures to support the miners. I have done a lot of research about this river and frequent it a lot to pan and sluice. Recently a friend of mine has been going with me and is hooked as a newbie gold prospector. We hiked in about a mile and set up our sluices. I was explaining where to dig to him for what I thought would be our best results for gold. Thirty minutes later he started digging elsewhere. It was 3:00 an we cleaned our sluices up. I found a few good flakes while my friend freaked out and called me over. In his sluice was two Standing Liberty quarters. We were jazzed to say the least. The quarters are badly worn and we can't see any dates. I looked them up in my Redbook and found one of the quarters to be a type 1 which was only minted in 1916 or 17. Pretty cool that we found an old miners quarters from about 100 years ago. My mine was going all over the place with where they came image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg from. We vowed to go back and bring my metal detector next time. Last Sunday I went back to the same spot and hunted. The first hour I found only trash. About thirty minutes later I got a good hit ten feet down river from where we were digging the first time. Two scoops later, there it was, another Standing Liberty quarter. Now I am bursting with excitement! Twenty minutes later in the same line in the river up from where our sluice were three weeks ago between two boulders I got another good hit. Could it be? Yes, it was another quarter. We were freaking out!. My metal detector is a Gold Bug Pro and I intended it to find gold. This was a different type of gold. We had to leave as it was getting late but will return. We are thinking they are coming from a buried location. No law in this canyon at that time and we're thinking someone buried their money and we hope gold or gold coins. Next time back we are going to detect up river as anything heavier will be up river. Stay tuned! Hopefully the pics upload right.

Upvote 6

discn

Aug 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
my sixth sense and a shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you caught the detecting bug. That's not bad.:BangHead:

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story and nice findings there! Thanks for sharing with us =)

OP
OP
D

Dgoldman

Feb 24, 2014
So calif
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might be heading back up there this weekend to find the rest.

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
The 1st Year Standing Liberty Quarters can Bring Big Bucks even with out a Date- goldnugget

OP
OP
D

Dgoldman

Feb 24, 2014
So calif
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goldnugget-Thanks! I have done some extensive research my type one is not a 1916. I have looked at the 1916 type one features and how to identify and unfortunately mine was minted in early 1917. The revision to type two was made in late 1917 where the Eagle is higher and the three stars where deleted under the Eagle. It's still valuable to me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread