OldNBroken

May 13, 2010
North Idaho
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, XP Deus, ETrac w/ sunray X1, SDC 2300, XTerra 705, ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'27s SLQ Back from NGC

Well, I got my quarter back today. Was the best I was hoping for. This could be a lesson to us all. Remember that little rule about NOT wiping the dirt off a coin when you dig it? Well, here is an example of my $1000 swipe of the thumb. It's still a gorgeous coin and worth quite a bit, just not the $2500 or more if I hadn't done that. When I got it home I put it in hot soapy water and just fanned it with a q-tip all the dirt just melted off. Then I looked close and saw the abrasion on the obverse. Still a very rare and collectible in this condition. I almost acted like you-know-whose when I discovered what it was but I just can't act like that.
Sorry the pics aren't the best. I am only home for a few hours and wanted to post about it before I leave again.

HH all.

Attachments

• 20140624_162013.jpg
    20140624_162013.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 406
  • 20140624_160308.jpg
    20140624_160308.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 314
Upvote 6

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still a great find anyway you go. There are not any do overs in life, but the nice thing is, you found it in the first place!

lifeoncelost

Jun 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still an awesome find. Congrats! Good to show what a quick swipe can do to a coins value. I've done that before and now I know not to to it again. I just have to be patient and wait till I get home now. Good luck finding more of them!

Johnlightning

Sep 2, 2008
Indian Territories
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Etrac and SE Pro
Best detectors built by far!
Super coin. One of the best the US mint has every produced. It could have came back environmental damage, that would have been a lot worst.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on such a nice Standing Liberty Quarter! Don't feel too bad about the abrasion from rubbing the coin after found! You are not the first and will not be the last person to do this when they find a coin. Even some of the best Detectorists make this same mistake just to show off a found coin in video of their' hunting and others do so, for pics of their' finds onsite. If you must show off a coin in pics or video during a hunt, take an extra bottle of water and small bowl like container (maybe a jar lid) with you. Place the found coin in the container, pour water over it, let sit for a few minutes, rotate in the water, then remove and rinse with a good dash of water on both sides. Hopefully, this will be enough field cleaning to at least show what the coin is and possibly even the Date and Mint Mark as long as they are not worn away!

Frank

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does that mean it's XF Regular?
With just a few pocket scratches ( if It was not Dug).

Congratulations on a Beautiful Rare Coin. (To dig in that shape)

Sorry just hate putting a negative label on Coins.
Davers

OP
OP
O

OldNBroken

May 13, 2010
North Idaho
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, XP Deus, ETrac w/ sunray X1, SDC 2300, XTerra 705, ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does that mean it's XF Regular?
With just a few pocket scratches ( if It was not Dug).

Congratulations on a Beautiful Rare Coin. (To dig in that shape)

Sorry just hate putting a negative label on Coins.
Davers

No problem.
The general consensus from some trusted experienced people was that this grades AU53 or better (minus the abrasion). Because of the abrasion NGC will not give it a number grade, only "details". This affects the value considerably. Fortunately for this coin due to the rarity of them not being worn out it still has good value. Basically I made a lot of money on a find and a collector got a gorgeous rare coin for their collection for a very very good price.

Last edited:

fever87

Aug 16, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705, Equinox 600, GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Before you take all the blame consider that the coin has been in the ground and that a lot of ground action could have damage the coin (not to mention what happened before it was covered with dirt). The definition of "improperly cleaned" is a catch-all as in the world of numismatics there is, arguably, no proper way to clean a coin.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very pretty coin, in very nice detail. I can't help to believe that there are not collectors out there that would pay better money then what they would pay for a label like that. In other words, lets say you show the collector, his side of it you don't know, but what if he had been looking for a very long time, years for this coin. If the person selling held out and didn't sell "the label price" the collector would most likely pay more. This happen to a friend of mine, he found a half penny, everyone knew it was dug, all the experts told him he be lucky to get 1000 for it. He showed enough dealers, went to shows and met enough collectors and held out on his price. Finally a collector that loved the coin, had to have it and bought it for 4200. The old saying is, " it's worth as much as you can get for it" this applies to everything, I just believe there are people out there that look at a coin like we all do, know it is a low mintage, know there are not going to be many that come up for sale, and will pay for a thing of beauty.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread