Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Cursed Woods

*Click on an image if it appears blury to get the full resolution.

Late in 2013, I made a pact with myself to make 2014 my best detecting year ever. I live smack in the middle of New England, so how hard could it be? 8-)

To get an idea of what kind of detecting I do: I avoid parks. Finding modern silver is ok, but I have a passion for finding the oldies. That being said, you will find me 90% of the time in the woods around cellar holes or simply in random areas where there may or may not be stone walls present. The other 10% I am in old farm fields.

It all started in January. I was scratching my head trying to figure out where my next honey hole is. Then I saw this area while going over some aerial photos:
Untitled-2.jpg
Zoomed in on a certain spot:
Untitled-4.jpg
This also looked interesting (zoomed in):
Untitled-6.jpg

As it turned out, I knew someone who knew the land owner, which worked out perfectly. One simple phone call was all it took - permission granted!

I parked my vehicle and headed into the woods. About a half mile in I started seeing stone walls. A bit further in I came across a cellar, which was right on the edge of the old dirt road; a good sign of old age. I beeped around for a bit around the cellar and found an old spoon. I then wandered around in the "backyard" and it was really quiet; which lead me to think it has been hit before. I did, however, come across some very interesting stone work. This above ground foundation:
Untitled-12.jpg
& these collapsed walls built up against a rock face:
Untitled-10.jpg Untitled-8.jpg

Curious to see what else was in these woods, I left that cellar area and continued down the old road.

It only took a couple minutes of walking until I came across another area that had not 1 but 2 cellars directly across from each other (1 is pictured below):
Cellar-Found-17Jan2014.jpg

I ended up finding 2 buttons very quickly, which gave me high hopes. The buttons were 18th century for sure, so I was right on target. As the hunt progressed, I was beeping along a stone wall and I got a perfect 81 on my T2. Turned 90 degrees, still 81. Just a slight delay in the beeps, so this told me it was relatively deep. I was pretty sure I had found an old copper coin, probably a KGII or possibly a state copper. I dug it up and sure enough:
Copper-17Jan2014.jpg

It was absolutely freezing that day, and even though I had gloves on my hands felt strange. My body was very cold too, so I decided to call it a day. I ended up with frostbite on my knuckles, so it was a good call leaving the woods!

Once I got home that day, I emptied my finds pouch and to my surprise the copper coin I found was gone! I had somehow lost it between finding it and driving home. To this day, I have still not re-found it. (Wait, is that even a real word?)

The very next day I returned. There was a light dusting of snow on the ground. I did some more exploring and found another cellar not too far from all the other ones:
Cursed-Woods-Cellar.jpg

I can't remember exactly what I found that day, but I know I found at least 5 buttons, possibly more. 3 of them were dandy buttons, which are notorious for being found at colonial sites. I left the woods and was eager to return.

The next chance I had to go back I took 3 buddies of mine with me. (Yes, I am that awesome to share my sites) I remember walking them out to the site and right away one guy found a copper(KGII), right in front of the above ground foundation. (How did I miss that before?)
Untitled-14.jpg

Everyone found something that day, only if even 2 of the guys just found buttons. I found a handful of buttons and more notably a very old knee buckle with some rusty chape action:
knee-buckle-from-cursed-woods.jpg

A few hours into the hunt I noticed my trowel was not in my sheath. I tried my best to backtrack & locate it, but there were so many footprints everywhere it was not as simple as I thought it would be. The woods claimed yet another item of mine, so that day I came up with the nickname: "Cursed Woods"

Then, Snowfest '14 came, and the Cursed Woods became unswingable & it remained that way for 3 months! My poor Lesche trowel was out there all alone somewhere... it was a very frustrating wait.
pic-dump-164-1.jpg

Finally March came and the snow was just about gone. The Cursed woods were finally detectable again:
SpringTimeRevWarSite.jpg

My return trip was a glorious one. I found a handful of buttons, one being a very special - albeit unidentifiable - pewter button. I also found my first 1700s silver of the year:
Group-Finds-2-March-2014.jpg 1779-Caralous-III-Half-Real.jpg Pewter-Button-1Feb2014.jpg Mystery-Button-Sealing-2Nov2013.jpg

I returned again and again, every time finding more colonial buttons and even some later period buttons & suspender buckles:
Pair-of-Buttons-from-Cursed-Woods.jpg Buttons-28-Mar-2014.jpg Finds-4-APR-2014.jpg suspender-buckles.jpg

Eventually I found my trowel too:
Finally-Found.jpg

One day while in the Cursed Woods, I was traveling between cellar holes and I noticed a downed tree that was obscuring a "gate" in a stone wall. I hoped over the wall and made my way up a little hill and to my surprise I found yet another cellar:
Cursed-Woods-US-Button-Cellar.jpg

I found more buttons there, & soon returned with a buddy of mine. We did a bit of trenching around the cellar lip but all we really found that day were plain colonial buttons. A bit further down the old dirt road we came across yet another cellar:
Cursed-Woods-Beat-Cellar.jpg
Unfortunately, someone had pounded this particular cellar site hard and all that was found there was 1 dandy button and some old lantern innards.

I returned on my own a few days later and revisited the cellar that had it's entrance obscured. I spent a good hour clearing away logs and branches. It worked out really well because I found more oldie buttons, my first "US" pewter button (circa 1815) and also a decent looking 1805 Draped Bust large cent:
US-Army-General-Service-Button-1812.jpg Group-Shot-31May2014.jpg 1805-Draped-Bust-Large-Cent-2.jpg

Mind you, this was quite an accomplishment for me, considering all my buddies whom I brought there were so sure that there was nothing good left in the Cursed Woods, especially not any old coins. Just goes to show you that you have to believe in yourself despite what the naysayers think.

I returned again and worked the old "field" by one of the cellars. I found a very familiar looking shoe buckle frame. I also managed several more buttons and another tiny buckle with the date "1877" on it. (second pic: shoe buckle on right was found Nov2013 & is nearly identical to the frame from the Cursed Woods):
12-June-2014-Group-shot.jpg Pair-of-Shoe-Buckles.jpg

Apart from the coins and buckles, so far around 70 buttons came from the Cursed Woods, a good portion being dandy buttons. (No GW ones though) Looking back I believe it's possible that someone was detecting there long ago, but if so, they sure missed a lot!
Buttons-2014-Cursed-Woods-Mostly.jpg

With summertime in full effect the Cursed Woods is put on hold due to extreme overgrowth - but you can bet I will be returning!

Upvote 24

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story there thanks for sharing, good digs !

MichiganMan

Jun 13, 2008
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
A cheap one until I can decide on a very good brand-name one to buy.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd sure like to find some of those plain old, everyday, boring, hum-drum colonial buttons :notworthy:

You rock laddie! Awesome finds require an awesome person. In my book your finds are awesome!

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Enjoyed just now "following" you through the Cursed Woods! Splendid finds & glad you held on tight to the wonderful silver coins & the Draped Bust cent!
Congrats! :occasion18::blob9::occasion18: Andi

OP
OP
Elad

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks all. Yes, we tend to get spoiled over here in New England... especially when it comes to buttons. I love buttons - dirt candy is what they are, plain or not!

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep........ planning my first detecting trip out of TN to go to New England this fall to visit one of our fellow members. Just looking at that stuff makes me drool. I have been fortunate enough to get into some early 1800's sites here in TN and dug lots of CW relics over the years, but the Early American relics are no doubt in New England where it all started. PLEASE keep the posts coming. Congrats

OP
OP
Elad

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep........ planning my first detecting trip out of TN to go to New England this fall to visit one of our fellow members. Just looking at that stuff makes me drool. I have been fortunate enough to get into some early 1800's sites here in TN and dug lots of CW relics over the years, but the Early American relics are no doubt in New England where it all started. PLEASE keep the posts coming. Congrats

You'll love it here! I have a few more write ups/stories I could tell. Perhaps I will post another story later tonight....

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My kind of finds! With that many high tones around, I am almost certain that was a virgin spot unless the person before you had no clue what they were doing. Great research and great finds. Keep it up!

Threshold

Mar 3, 2012
Riverside, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garret Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing! Enjoyed the story. Kept reading, "again I returned..." I was thinking, "man what else you gonna find?!" Looks like the "Cursed Woods" might end up being the "Blessed Woods" haha

OP
OP
Elad

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing! Enjoyed the story. Kept reading, "again I returned..." I was thinking, "man what else you gonna find?!" Looks like the "Cursed Woods" might end up being the "Blessed Woods" haha

Yeah the woods sure seemed blessed, but I never did find my lost copper. I think I dropped it where I parked... but I think it was snow-plowed into oblivion.

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello

I am new to metal detecting I have equinox 800,

I did a cellar hole today, and could only hear iron, or the good numbers kept jumping around, no solid signal, where the numbers never remained solid. thats usually the sound and ID of large iron or nails from my limited experience,

just wondering what kind of sounds and ID# you got with coins and buttons

since we have different machines, maybe you can describe the sounds and IDs to today money
like was the half penny similar the sound of a quarter?

I just worried I am missing stuff when I get signals that nealy always come up as nails

Thanks

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had always heard that that area was supposed to be illegal to detecting - I knew about it 30 yrs ago but never ventured there
because others said it was off limits - probably reason you got so much - others never hit there either for same reason
nice finds

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks all. Yes, we tend to get spoiled over here in New England... especially when it comes to buttons. I love buttons - dirt candy is what they are, plain or not!

I live in New England and have yet to be spoiled, so far mostly only disappointed... but I'm working on it!
HH
dts

OP
OP
Elad

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's some more from the woods. I found a total of 10 of these huge gilted buttons, some in amazing condition! A half Real from the same site is pictured for size reference.

Coat-Buttons-Gilted-Set-&-1777-Half-Real.jpg Gilted-Coat-Buttons-Close-Up.jpg

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What was it about the aerial photos that attracted your attention?

It would seem to me, by the huge number of buttons, if nothing else, that there had to have been a sizeable colony there, if not an actual town. Have you learned anything about the site from that perspective?

I'm so jealous!

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I really enjoyed reading your story on "Tales from the Woods" and seeing the pic's of your finds. Those are truly some great Colonial relics. Like stated, we don't find that much Colonial relics down south here. Well Done, and Congrat's to you on some fantastic Historical finds. These will really display well and all have a story to tell. Thanks for sharing this with us. Continued Success to you.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah the woods sure seemed blessed, but I never did find my lost copper. I think I dropped it where I parked... but I think it was snow-plowed into oblivion.

Then IMO it was meant to be lost.

Did you tear up your auto to see if it fell in a crack or something.

Old post I know , hope yr still getting out, BTW I have dug 7 or so flat buttons in my time, 20 years & i'm a 'Wood's Guy to'.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had always heard that that area was supposed to be illegal to detecting - I knew about it 30 yrs ago but never ventured there
because others said it was off limits - probably reason you got so much - others never hit there either for same reason
nice finds

Is the area Nat, Forest ,St Forest , etc?

I Long ago hunted in ST Parks , ACE Lakes , in a few cases DNR was watching me , they were always cool tho , imo if I was not looking for NA items I was given a pass.

I'm not going to get into Laws & such . Many lack common sense .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread