Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holly Woods

*Click on an image if it seems too blurry, to see it in full resolution.

Going over some aerial shots one day, I came across this:
Untitled-16.jpg

The old stone lined roads were enough to draw me to this area. Upon arriving at the woods, I noticed a car parked and some people walking dogs coming down the trail. I asked them if they knew who owned the land and they said it was state land. With no "Keep Out" signs anywhere I geared up and ventured up the path.

The hill leveled out and I saw some subtle stone walls and stone piles. Just beyond that was a cellar, right off the old road. The cellar was a made of stone but also had a bit of concrete mixed in. This was a sure sign that this site was occupied for a long time. On top of that, piles of junk were dumped all over the place. I didn't even bother to detect this nightmare and kept on going down the trail.

The trail looped up and around a very large hill, and then went down the other side. At one point there was a fork in the road, but I initially chose left instead of right. Left would have to wait it's turn to be explored. I noticed an overwhelming amount of overgrowth from a particular bush that resembled Holly - which is where I got the nickname idea from.
Old-Colonial-Road.jpg

All along the main road were stone walls. There was a "gate" in the stone wall at the bottom of the hill, & I could just about make out an old road going through it and beyond it. The woods were wide open and after a while of walking I came across a small cellar that looked colonial. I spent a while there but only found modern lead bullets and shotgun shells. Someone must have hit this site a while back:
Flower-Dandy-Cellar.jpg

I returned back to the main road and before leaving the old "field" of this cellar hole I did some detecting along the old stone wall that also was adjacent the main road. I am glad I did because I found 2 identical dandy buttons that had etchings on them. One was in decent shape & still had gilting (strange for a dandy button) with a little flower in the center:
Untitled-28.jpg Untitled-26.jpg Etched-Dandy.jpg

I gave the old field some more time and after finding nothing else I decided to make my way to the fork in the road to try the other area. After about 15 minutes of walking down the other old road , I spotted an interesting little hill with some stone work all over it:
3May2014-Hunt.jpg

While standing on top I scanned the area. I got excited when I saw this:
Vermont-Copper-Cellar-Discovery.jpg Vermont-Copper-Cellar.jpg

I walked over to it & I remember saying to myself "Pleeeeaaase be virgin". Standing where I took the above picture, I turned on my detector. Without moving a step I got a good signal. I dug in anticipation and out popped a very ornate shoe buckle fragment:
Ornate-Shoe-Buckle-Fragment-Fresh-From-Dirt.jpg Shoe-Buckle-Fragments.jpg
This was a very good sign, but I still wasn't convinced that this site was virgin.

I continued on swinging, and just about every step I dug a button. In 10 minutes I had about 10 buttons; a mix of colonial & post colonial. This had me pretty convinced that this site was virgin. At the same time I was very perplexed as to why the person who pounded the cellar hole right up the road ignored this one. Perhaps they missed it all together?

I spent the remainder of the hunt at that cellar and it was one of the most pleasurable hunts I have had in a long time. I found button after button with hardly any waiting in between - unless of course I was taking a break. I found 3 coppers that day - 2 Coronet Large Cents and a mystery coin, the only clue being the date "1786". I knew it had to be a state copper of some kind, but until I gave it a good cleaning, identification would have to wait:
Group-Shot-Vermont-Copper-Cellar-First-Hunt.jpg 1835-Matron-Head-Large-Cent.jpg 1834-Coronet-Large-Cent.jpg 1786-Vermont-Ryder6-Before-Cleaning.jpg Gilted-Flower-Button.jpg Pile-O-Dandies.jpg

The mystery coin turned out to be a beauty. It's a Vermont State copper, Landscape variety, Ryder 6 type. Note the die crack & weak reverse strike, which is indicative of later mints:
1786-Vermont-Ryder6.jpg Colonial-Sun-Rise.jpg

Of course the very next day I returned. I would have been crazy not to. I spent about 4 hours happily digging buttons. I didn't find any coins that day, but 2 of the buttons were extraordinary:
3May2014-Group-Shot.jpg Button2-Before-and-After-Cleaning.jpg Button-Before-and-After-Cleaning.jpg

Just like with any site, the next few hunts did produce more and more buttons, but of course the numbers slowly started dwindling. Then one day I returned again with 2 of my buddies. 1 of them had no luck at all that day, and it made me feel terrible - but it's not like I was responsible for their bad luck, right? The other ended up finding a hot spot not too far away from the virgin cellar, up on a little hill. He pulled out a couple of colonial buttons there, which immediately made me realize that there had to be more.

So on the next trip back out there alone, I hit up that little hill hard and ended up doing pretty well - I found a 1739 KGII, a couple of oldie buttons & one rare cuff button - has a hot air balloon pattern, which is from around 1784+, during the hot air balloon craze:
1739-KGII-HalfPenny.jpg Group-Shot-24June1014.jpg Cufflink-Flower-Pattern.jpg 201302.image1.gif

A couple of days later I was back & once again hit up the little hill. I found another Coronet Large Cent, but the strange thing is that it was practically on the surface. I literally kicked it away when I used my boot to remove the leaves above the target. I am still not sure why this old coin did not sink into the ground like the others:
Unknown-Date-Coronet-large-Cent.jpg

I continued beeping around, determined to find more. I got a very weak mostly iron sounding signal that an unexperienced person might actually skip. I dug down deep and created a nice big plug. Out popped the strangest looking button. Upon closer examination it turned out to be a very old cuff button with a piece of gem cut glass on the inside. The drilled shank was a definite sign of 18th century craftsmanship. Intact Colonial buttons with glass in them are very rare!
Button-With-Glass-Gem.jpg

After that I wandered back over to the cellar and not 10 feet from it I found my first ever platinum ring. We all somehow missed this shallow & obvious target: Platinum-Ring-1931.jpg Group-Shot-13Jul2014.jpg

The next chance I had I was back in Holly Woods. I did some thinking abother where other hot spots would be. My research paid off - I ended up finding another area beyond the beat cellar that in all likelyhood was a terraced hilltop field made in colonial times. That day I found 3 beat up colonial buttons there It was a large area.There had to be more...

Itching to get back to the hilltop field, a few days later I went back & brought my friend Evan along for the hunt. The mosquitoes were terrible & I personally found nothing but a 19th century spoon, however, Evan found another beautifully etched dandy button with a big flower in the middle of it. I wonder if the same person who etched the other dandies also made this impressive work of art?:
Holly-Woods-Etched-Dandy.jpg

I returned again and decided to go low and slow all around the cellar hole area again. I got a great signal and I had a feeling it was old silver before I dug. It was found in the same area where I had found the Platinum ring.

1777-Half-Real-In-Dirt.jpg 1777-Half-Real-Holy-Woods.jpg
A beat up 1777 Half-Real! (This is the sixth Spanish Silver coin I have ever found.)

Artifacts are becoming scarce in Holly woods, but who knows what else is hiding there?

Last edited:
Upvote 7

MichiganMan

Jun 13, 2008
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
A cheap one until I can decide on a very good brand-name one to buy.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like you have a nice haul from that area. I wouldn't give up on it yet; I would hit it hard!
- How do you decide how far you go when cleaning?

OP
OP
Elad

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks like you have a nice haul from that area. I wouldn't give up on it yet; I would hit it hard!
- How do you decide how far you go when cleaning?

The woods in this particular story are vast. I have worked pretty much every open area I have came across in there. The general rule is that most activity happens in the vicinity of the cellar, but the old fields and roads that may have been connected to it are also high on the priority list.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just beyond belief. Incredible finds no doubt. Love the posts.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on some awesome finds and thanks for the great story! It might be a good idea to eventually get back to the cellar with the piles of junk all around it. Take some trash bags and a back-packing duffle bag and clean up this whole area. You would not only be cleaning up what is probably an eyesore, you would also be removing recyclables of which you might make money and cleaning up the junk so that you can metal detect this location. If this spot was occupied for a long time as you suspect, then there are probably lots of goodies to be found and some could be rare.

Frank

OP
OP
Elad

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on some awesome finds and thanks for the great story! It might be a good idea to eventually get back to the cellar with the piles of junk all around it. Take some trash bags and a back-packing duffle bag and clean up this whole area. You would not only be cleaning up what is probably an eyesore, you would also be removing recyclables of which you might make money and cleaning up the junk so that you can metal detect this location. If this spot was occupied for a long time as you suspect, then there are probably lots of goodies to be found and some could be rare.

Frank

It's a good idea on paper but it would be a very difficult feat because truckloads (literally) of stuff is dumped back there, and some of it's 50+ years old and sunken into the ground. It would take a small workforce weeks to do it, even with heavy machinery.

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
nice story Dale , how have you been ? I take it this happened much earlier in the year before the foliage got thick on the trees and ground ?

OP
OP
Elad

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice story Dale , how have you been ? I take it this happened much earlier in the year before the foliage got thick on the trees and ground ?

Found the site near the beginning of Spring. I have been sporadically going back - my last hunt when I found the ring/coin/cufflink button was just 3 weeks ago, & the KGII hunt shortly before that. The mosquitoes/black flies are horrid out there right now.... :(

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortés, Tejón, Cibola, Cutlass II, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Killer Bee's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't have many words for this post. except. Amazing!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It's a good idea on paper but it would be a very difficult feat because truckloads (literally) of stuff is dumped back there, and some of it's 50+ years old and sunken into the ground. It would take a small workforce weeks to do it, even with heavy machinery.

I understand! However, some looking and possibly moving some of the junk around to see what is underneath, really might be worth the look see. You know that one man's trash is another man's treasure (old bottles, cast iron pots and pans, pottery, tools, old car...truck or wagon parts and who knows what else) and items discarded as trash 50 to 100 years ago and with the possibility that some of the junk was dumped 100 to 200 or more years ago, gives one a glimmer of hope in finding something very valuable in today's market. Heck, I would even bet that you could get a Boy Scout Troop to take some of the clean-up on as one of their community projects. If you have or could borrow a pickup truck and some wagons, they could haul the junk from the site to the truck, you could go through most of it before it is either taken to the dump or Recylers. Of course with the Boy Scouts cleaning the place up, you will probably have to contend with some of them keeping items that they see as treasure. It is just something to think about but considering the great finds you have already made, the junked up site might just hold much more and better treasures!

Frank

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Fantastic finds! My only state coppers so far have been CT coppers. I'm hoping for ones as nice as yours this year. Keep up the great work.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All great stuff, especially that Vermont.

The cufflink button is actually not a flower, it's quite a bit more interesting, it's a hot air balloon.... dating back to the very first years of its existence.

OP
OP
Elad

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All great stuff, especially that Vermont.

The cufflink button is actually not a flower, it's quite a bit more interesting, it's a hot air balloon.... dating back to the very first years of its existence.

I always thought they looked strange, for a flower. I have seen this pattern before a few times - seems pretty common?

Found the below at an auction site:

Hot Air Balloon Imprint on a Cufflink!

c. 1784, American Cufflink with Hot Air Balloon Imprint, Choice Extremely Fine.
Small, oval metal cufflink, 3/4" long, with a detailed imprint of a floating hot air balloon topped by a flying bird. Wonderful dark gray/brown patina, and intact hook eyelet on the underside. A rare item excavated from a New Jersey colonial site. The Montgolfier Brothers launched the first manned balloon in Paris on November 21, 1783. Ten days later, on December 1, 1783 Jacques Charles launched the first manned hydrogen balloon in Paris as well. The first US balloon flight was attempted in 1784 in Philadelphia. The pilot jumped out when the balloon first crashed into a wall. The balloon then rose, burned up and dropped its stove through the roof of a nearby theater. Despite an unfortunate ending for its first flight in the US, the craze was quickly grew, and people were infatuated with this new technology and anything related. The cufflink shows normal signs of wear for its age and is the first we've ever seen!
5654207_1_l.jpg 201302.image1.gif

I found the second pic somewhere else, which seems to match the one I found. Thanks Ironpatch!

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always thought they looked strange, for a flower. I have seen this pattern before a few times - seems pretty common?

Found the below at an auction site:

Hot Air Balloon Imprint on a Cufflink!

c. 1784, American Cufflink with Hot Air Balloon Imprint, Choice Extremely Fine.
Small, oval metal cufflink, 3/4" long, with a detailed imprint of a floating hot air balloon topped by a flying bird. Wonderful dark gray/brown patina, and intact hook eyelet on the underside. A rare item excavated from a New Jersey colonial site. The Montgolfier Brothers launched the first manned balloon in Paris on November 21, 1783. Ten days later, on December 1, 1783 Jacques Charles launched the first manned hydrogen balloon in Paris as well. The first US balloon flight was attempted in 1784 in Philadelphia. The pilot jumped out when the balloon first crashed into a wall. The balloon then rose, burned up and dropped its stove through the roof of a nearby theater. Despite an unfortunate ending for its first flight in the US, the craze was quickly grew, and people were infatuated with this new technology and anything related. The cufflink shows normal signs of wear for its age and is the first we've ever seen!
View attachment 1033843 View attachment 1033847

I found the second pic somewhere else, which seems to match the one I found. Thanks Ironpatch!

I wouldn't call it common, but common enough that I have also dug one. :)

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic finds and in beautiful shape too! The Vermont copper is my favorite. Congratulations, I hope you go back to dig more I love to see this type of stuff dug!

Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread