1857 Half Dime!

joncooper1986

Jul 31, 2014
Westhampton, MA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 4.0 9" coil, 11" coil, WS4 w/ Detecting Doodads headphones, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had LOTS of luck on the property I grew up on...Many colonial coppers and dozens of other interesting finds. THIS is my new favorite. I have been detecting for about 5 years and this find was the one that made me think I should finally make a profile and join the forum.

Behold: My proud 1857 Half Dime. Looked like this with nothing more than a few seconds under the kitchen faucet.
:)

Attachments

• IMGP4733.JPG
    IMGP4733.JPG
    572.2 KB · Views: 191
  • IMGP4736.JPG
    IMGP4736.JPG
    877.4 KB · Views: 221
Upvote 3

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! That half dime looks to be in great condition! Are the other coins you found there in great shape as well? Congrats!

OP
OP
joncooper1986

joncooper1986

Jul 31, 2014
Westhampton, MA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 4.0 9" coil, 11" coil, WS4 w/ Detecting Doodads headphones, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find! That half dime looks to be in great condition! Are the other coins you found there in great shape as well? Congrats!

I wish! after 200 years in the ground copper doesnt come out so happy. I have a 1787 Fugio cent that I found in the same area but it is in really rough shape. If it looked like silver does after so many years I would be a rich man. Needless to say, I am hoping to find a lot more silver now that I know that it will look just as good as the day it was dropped!

leviathanrick

Mar 31, 2013
Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find in awesome condition. Welcome to Treasure Net.

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful coin, and welcome to Tnet!

Steve

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Welcome and thanks for sharing the pics of that awesome seated half dime.
I'm out in Denver and don't have any seated's yet. I do have a friend that has one a little older than yours that came out of Golden, CO,. close to the school of mines. A rare find out here, for sure.

The oldies you guys get over on the east coast are so cool.

HH ALL

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard and that's a beauty of a coin. Nothing much better than pulling old silver from the earth. I'm always amazed at how nice it comes out. As you said I wish all my old coppers looked so nice

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Condition and nice coin to have in your collection. In 1988, I recieved permission to search a 1 1/2 acre manicured lawn which I believed was the site of a Florida Seminole Wart fort. Sure enough I hit it big, digging over 200 Uniform buttons (pre-CW); other artifacts; coins bottles and of course, musket balls. I brought in a friend who assisted me for 1 1/2 years on the site before he continued back to college. So be it, he hit the area where the paymaster came to the site by steamboat and paid the soldiers in brand new uncirculated government silver. On his first day he found 5 almost uncirculated 1857 hald dimes. The soil was full of fine phoshate, therefore, came from the ground in almost uncirculated condition. Of course, I found a variety of coins too such as large cents; dimes; half dimes and trimes--but condition of my coins (from fort trash dump and fire pits) were not in such good condition. The rarest find made by another relic hunter almost 15 years later was a rare sutlers token.

OP
OP
joncooper1986

joncooper1986

Jul 31, 2014
Westhampton, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sounds like a dream come true. thanks for sharing!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread