My first ever TOMBAC buttons

dirtfishingdave

May 2, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx3030,Fisher f75, Whites DFX with Sunray probe, Fisher gold bug 2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche hand shovel, Raven from Predator tools. Detectors I used to use: Minelab explorer se, Fisher f
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone,

I found a site that is log cabin that used to be a school, the log cabin was built in 1774. I am sure that this place was previously hunted by former metal detectorists. But as they say no place is ever hunted out and I seem to prove that saying true. I was griding small sections of the property when I got a nice nickel signal. First coin I found at this site was a Buff. Next signal right next to the buff only a few inches over was a warranted double gilt flat button. Still griding a small area Now in the back of log cabin I got a strong dime hit at only 5 inches deep turned out to be a 1961d dime. Low n slow I covered the back inching my way I got 12-40 signal at 5 inches deep a few feet from the dime. When I pinpointed the target it seemed like it was bigger than a coin or screwcap. I decided I was digging every signal that was repeatable. After opening the plug I saw what looked to be a big flat button, using my pinpointer to recheck the hole I unearthed 11 more flat buttons out of the same hole. I couldn't believe my eyes. Wow a colonial spill of Tombac buttons!! After finishing griding the front I ended up getting another good dime signal a 1947 dime at 4 inches deep. I only found a few modern coins not worth mentioning. All in all turned out to be one hell of a hunt! Good luck to all and happy hunting!! uploadfromtaptalk1407157162760.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1407158500011.jpg

Upvote 1
OP
OP
dirtfishingdave

dirtfishingdave

May 2, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx3030,Fisher f75, Whites DFX with Sunray probe, Fisher gold bug 2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche hand shovel, Raven from Predator tools. Detectors I used to use: Minelab explorer se, Fisher f
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These Tombac buttons measured 1 inch and 5/16 in diameter.

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
they don't look like tombacs from the picture could you post better closeups, maybe they are dandies instead

Ninjafossils

Dec 18, 2012
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Tesoro Compadre
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
And the crusty one might even be pewter.

OP
OP
dirtfishingdave

dirtfishingdave

May 2, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is close ups

ForumRunner_20140804_150215.png

ForumRunner_20140804_150215.png

ForumRunner_20140804_145803.png

IMG_20140804_133957.JPG

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
yeah they are called "dandy" buttons a large over sized decorated ones. you probably found an
old dress shirt or coat that was thrown away when you found the 11. these are generally late 1700's era type buttons

OP
OP
dirtfishingdave

dirtfishingdave

May 2, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for correctly identifying these buttons for me, and it is still one of my best finds to date!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread