Saturday at the old farm house!!

detectordave

Apr 6, 2005
Ann Arbor Meechigan
Detector(s) used
DFX WITH DX-1 PROBE AND XLT WITH XL-1 PROBE
49erjohn and I got permission to hunt an old farmhouse last saturday. The house was built around 1895 and was a rental for many families from 1900-1970 or so. John remembered from growing up in the area that there was an old rope swing in the giant pine tree in front, so thats where we started. We found both buffalo's, 1934 and 1928 along with a 1865 IH and both silver rings under that tree. Any help with the turquoise ring would be appreciated. Is it antique or a 1970's era?. In the rear of the house was the 1945 half and the Eisenhower coin. Again any help with this coin would be appreciated. The property also surrendered a 1946 silver dime, 1900 V nickel and a 1912 barber dime with a round dent, looks like someone maybe shot it with a BB gun. All in all the best few hours I ever spent swingin the DFX. Needless to say we will be back. WAHOOO!!

Attachments

• coin pic for treasure net.jpg
    coin pic for treasure net.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 4,810
  • turquoise and silver ring.jpg
    turquoise and silver ring.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 4,811
  • 1865 indian penny.jpg
    1865 indian penny.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 4,786
  • 1912 barber dime.jpg
    1912 barber dime.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 4,770
  • 1930 penny.jpg
    1930 penny.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 4,745
  • 1934 buffalo nickel.jpg
    1934 buffalo nickel.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 4,731
  • silver ring.jpg
    silver ring.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 4,739
  • eisenhower coin.jpg
    eisenhower coin.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 4,359
  • 1945 walking liberty half dollar.jpg
    1945 walking liberty half dollar.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 4,377
Upvote 0

SilverDreams

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2005
Vinemont, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds! I wish Buffalo Nickels came out of the ground like that around here! That Eisenhower coin is a Shell or some other gas station's game token. They were given out over the decades...like 60s-80s.

OP
OP
D

detectordave

Apr 6, 2005
Ann Arbor Meechigan
Detector(s) used
SilverDreams said:
Nice finds! I wish Buffalo Nickels came out of the ground like that around here! That Eisenhower coin is a Shell or some other gas station's game token. They were given out over the decades...like 60s-80s.
Thanks for the info. I was also told they came in cracker jacks in the 60-70s' . Still like all my finds, nearly priceless. Thanks to all that take the time to write. GOOD LUCK all!

fd3615

Jan 25, 2007
California - Solano County
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Sunray X-1 Probe
I think the eisenhower coin along with the other 36 in the set were a gas station promotion.. but i may be wrong... however the whole set is valued in the 10 dollar range.

Attachments

• pres1.jpg
    pres1.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 3,493
  • pres2.jpg
    pres2.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 3,448
  • pres3.jpg
    pres3.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 3,413
OP
OP
D

detectordave

Apr 6, 2005
Ann Arbor Meechigan
Detector(s) used
Thats the coin! Thanks so much. Boy, if you ever want to know anything, just post it on here. Thanks to all! HH dave.

fd3615

Jan 25, 2007
California - Solano County
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Sunray X-1 Probe
I think i may have misled you on the gas station promotion.. I do have the coin you found, I actually have the set... I had thought it was a gas station promotion coin until yesterday i dug one from Shell... Now its all confusing to me.. I am not sure who made the gold president coins???

Attachments

• 04-26-06.jpg
    04-26-06.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 3,046
  • 04-26-05.jpg
    04-26-05.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 3,089
  • 04-26-05.jpg
    04-26-05.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 3,081
  • 04-26-06.jpg
    04-26-06.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 3,039
OP
OP
D

detectordave

Apr 6, 2005
Ann Arbor Meechigan
Detector(s) used
fd3615 said:
I think i may have misled you on the gas station promotion.. I do have the coin you found, I actually have the set... I had thought it was a gas station promotion coin until yesterday i dug one from Shell... Now its all confusing to me.. I am not sure who made the gold president coins???
LOL. Well any help is appreciated. I was told by one person they came in cracker jack also. Circumstances have not allowed me to get back to this site. But, maybe soon and maybe another clue will arise. Never know. Take care and HH. dave.

T

TreasureTales

What a great haul!!! The turquoise ring is a beauty. I think it could be older than the 1940s, but I'm certainly no expert.

Do you have a Red Book? It's offically called The Official Red Book - A Guide Book of United States Coins by R.S. Yeoman and published by Whitman. It's the coin book to get, and should be very helpful to you as you find more old coins. It comes out each year and can be a little pricey but well worth it if you do much coinshooting.

I hope you get back to that location because I'd really like to see what else the old place gives up. Have you or 49erjohn done any research on the person who had the house built originally? You might learn something that would help you in your search - maybe a cache was hidden somewhere. :o

Happy hunting and continued good luck!

OP
OP
D

detectordave

Apr 6, 2005
Ann Arbor Meechigan
Detector(s) used
TreasureTales said:
What a great haul!!! The turquoise ring is a beauty. I think it could be older than the 1940s, but I'm certainly no expert.

Do you have a Red Book? It's offically called The Official Red Book - A Guide Book of United States Coins by R.S. Yeoman and published by Whitman. It's the coin book to get, and should be very helpful to you as you find more old coins. It comes out each year and can be a little pricey but well worth it if you do much coinshooting.

I hope you get back to that location because I'd really like to see what else the old place gives up. Have you or 49erjohn done any research on the person who had the house built originally? You might learn something that would help you in your search - maybe a cache was hidden somewhere. :o

Happy hunting and continued good luck!
Thanks for the info. Yes, I buy a redbook every year, cant detect without one. lol. Im trying to get John to research, and get time to get back there to hunt. Hopefully soon! HH dave.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions