Saturday at the old farm house!!

detectordave

Apr 6, 2005
Ann Arbor Meechigan
Detector(s) used
DFX WITH DX-1 PROBE AND XLT WITH XL-1 PROBE
49erjohn and I got permission to hunt an old farmhouse last saturday. The house was built around 1895 and was a rental for many families from 1900-1970 or so. John remembered from growing up in the area that there was an old rope swing in the giant pine tree in front, so thats where we started. We found both buffalo's, 1934 and 1928 along with a 1865 IH and both silver rings under that tree. Any help with the turquoise ring would be appreciated. Is it antique or a 1970's era?. In the rear of the house was the 1945 half and the Eisenhower coin. Again any help with this coin would be appreciated. The property also surrendered a 1946 silver dime, 1900 V nickel and a 1912 barber dime with a round dent, looks like someone maybe shot it with a BB gun. All in all the best few hours I ever spent swingin the DFX. Needless to say we will be back. WAHOOO!!

Attachments

• coin pic for treasure net.jpg
    coin pic for treasure net.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 4,810
  • turquoise and silver ring.jpg
    turquoise and silver ring.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 4,811
  • 1865 indian penny.jpg
    1865 indian penny.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 4,786
  • 1912 barber dime.jpg
    1912 barber dime.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 4,770
  • 1930 penny.jpg
    1930 penny.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 4,745
  • 1934 buffalo nickel.jpg
    1934 buffalo nickel.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 4,731
  • silver ring.jpg
    silver ring.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 4,739
  • 1945 walking liberty half dollar.jpg
    1945 walking liberty half dollar.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 4,377
  • eisenhower coin.jpg
    eisenhower coin.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 4,359
Upvote 0

large cent hunter

Feb 28, 2007
Judging by the condition of those buffalo nickles, you don't live anywhere near where I do, in the northeast where all the buffalo nickles I've found, were corroded badly.

Nice coins!

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave how awsome and fortuante can one person get at finding all those treasures.
Those are spectacular finds!!!

OP
OP
D

detectordave

Apr 6, 2005
Ann Arbor Meechigan
Detector(s) used
large cent hunter said:
Judging by the condition of those buffalo nickles, you don't live anywhere near where I do, in the northeast where all the buffalo nickles I've found, were corroded badly.

Nice coins!
All the silver I have found here in Michigan, and its not very much, has all come out of the ground in very good and shiny shape. Not sure whats in the soil here mineralwise, but I'm grateful. Also have found two small gold rings that were very shiny. Thanks to all for the congrats. dave :)

dr-quest

Feb 25, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold, Whites XLT,Tesoro Stingray ll,Whites Surfmaster ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow great assortment of finds,Must have been a great day. ;)
The ring appears to be Navajo made and most likely from the late 40`s early 50`s.They typically used natural turquoise that showed flaws and had a more greenish color.Later jewellery seemed to make use of cleaner looking stones and a more bluey color.Are there any markings on the ring?
Nice stuff :D

OP
OP
D

detectordave

Apr 6, 2005
Ann Arbor Meechigan
Detector(s) used
Thanks so much for the info on the ring. It seems to almost say "silver" inside. Its more like "ilv*r" and then 3 large initials, JVB. I appreciate any help. dave

trapper bob

Mar 22, 2005
mid-michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinshooter 2, Garrett GTA 1000 Ultra, Bounty Hunter Landstar, Bounty Hunter Lonestar
I hunt Michigan also and my silvers always come out looking like they were just dropped. The coppers and nickles...not so nice most of the times. Depends on the location/soil I guess. I have found alot of buffalo nickles (around 50 or so) and most of them have came out REDDISH. I have also found 3 of the president coin thingys--lincoln, Jefferson and Roosevelt over the years. Not sure when or why they were made but they have a nice home in my collection. Think I will have to do some research on em! Happpy Hunting in our fine (snowy and cold at this moment!) state of Michigan and a darn nice set of finds!!!!!!!!!Bob

dr-quest

Feb 25, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
detectordave said:
Thanks so much for the info on the ring. It seems to almost say "silver" inside. Its more like "ilv*r" and then 3 large initials, JVB. I appreciate any help. dave
Sorry Dave cant find the makers mark.Thats not suprising though on native jewellery,many varietys of marks with little makers cataloged.The mark "Silver" is very common on Navajo silver work.
HH ;)

OP
OP
D

detectordave

Apr 6, 2005
Ann Arbor Meechigan
Detector(s) used
I sure appreciate the try. Just the info you gave me is much more than I had :) Do you know if the rings are worth aything? Of course to me, my finds are priceless.. Also! Im a little slow sometimes,lol, I looked at the ring again and its "erling" not "ilv*r as I had stated. I doubt that it matters. Guess coffee hadnt kicked in yet. Thanks again, dave.

dr-quest

Feb 25, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
detectordave said:
I sure appreciate the try. Just the info you gave me is much more than I had :) Do you know if the rings are worth aything? Of course to me, my finds are priceless.. Also! Im a little slow sometimes,lol, I looked at the ring again and its "erling" not "ilv*r as I had stated. I doubt that it matters. Guess coffee hadnt kicked in yet. Thanks again, dave.
Same outcome Dave.You may find them booking around $200.00 but realistically they sell from $45.00 to $95.00 range. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread