Hunting an old site realy pays off - PHOTOS NOW ATTACHED

red

Feb 17, 2005
Lexington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Garrett 500
I'v been using metal detectors for almost 30 years and my 1st site to hunt has agin become my best.
An old 2 room log cabin once stood at this site about 200 yards from my front door and I have found nails keys 1 I H penny and other common farm stuff.
But the last few days hunting the site has made me? ;D !
When I pulled a US box plate from the ground I was amazed and then a clover heel plate which I think would be from the 2nd brigade Mass ?
If you think it is let me know or if you know more about heel plates let me know please .
Well that was not all 2 days later I found a CSA I button and the next day I dug another both are in great shape and all there. Made by? P. Tait & Co. after that I even came up with a Dutch coin 1863 now that was odd.
These finds might be normal in the east but I'm in central Texas about 50 miles east of Austin.
The owner of the cabin was part of a group of outlaw in the area known as the Notch Cutters who were Confederat soldiers that? came home to find no other way to make ends meet
However late 1 night he and 2 friends met there fate on the front porch of the old cabin which ended with a shootout with the law and some good people who wanted them gone .
And from that I can"t count the number of shells of all cal. I'v dug.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
red

red

Feb 17, 2005
Lexington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Garrett 500
The picture of me with my detector is of me sitting on a newly constructed coffin which my great great great grandpa was reburied in. The small cemetery in which he and at least six other people were buried in happened to be in the way of a strip mine coming through the area. The mine company paid to have the graves moved.

Family history always told us that grandpa was shot (1875) in the back by cattle rustlers in exchange for his court testimony against the outlaws (Notch Cutters). As each grave was uncovered, I was allowed to detect the sight. Coffin remnants helped identify whose grave was being recovered.

In grandpa's I found the buck shot that killed him. He was buried with it still in his back. He's resting more comfortably now that the buck shot was moved away from his back before his reburial in the family plot.

What I've got in my hand is a small baggie containing the seven buck shots that killed my grandpa. Now that's an awesome experience that I'm sure very few people would ever get.

Hope you enjoy my new story.

Attachments

• homestead(smaller).jpg
    homestead(smaller).jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 3,097
  • Rick with Buck shot(smallers).jpg
    Rick with Buck shot(smallers).jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 3,093

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Great finds Red. Wish I could come up with some antiquity around here! Keep on findin' ~CO2

OP
OP
red

red

Feb 17, 2005
Lexington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Garrett 500
Well Colorado if you have been hunting for long then you know as well as I do .
And that is you never know what's going to make that detector bing next.
I would have thought I would hit a gold coin where I was hunting before Civil War stuff.

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Hey again Red. Some how I missed the part of this post about your GGG Grandpa. Wow. What a great, weird, interesting, macabre story! You're right, I don't think anyone else would be able to tell that story but your relatives... Thanks for sharing~CO2

nitro

Dec 30, 2004
Round Rock, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Rick and good story. When you need some help with that gold let me know I am in Round Rock. Good luck and Happy Hunting. Looking forward to more pics.

OP
OP
red

red

Feb 17, 2005
Lexington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Garrett 500
Nitro. I'm around Taylor quite often looking for new area to hunt if I come up with a good place to go up there I'll give you a holler .
Or if you know a good place I'd be happy to come up there for a hunt.

Red

nitro

Dec 30, 2004
Round Rock, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt a lot of the parks in the area with pretty good luck. I do pretty well at Old Settlers Park, I hunt pretty much everyday unless it is raining. When ever you want to go let me know. Or the springs out in Georgetown would be a great place to go. Detector in hand and ready to go. Joe

M

mrmark55

Welcome Red,
Great finds. I am in NE TX myself. Keep it up! Nice Pictures...keep em' coming!
Mr Mark
DFX

OP
OP
red

red

Feb 17, 2005
Lexington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Garrett 500
Thank yall for checking out my finds and I'm glad you enjoyed them.
I haven't had time to hunt in the last few days and now we have rain on the way but as soon as I can I hope to find that CSA buckle that just has to be there 8in. deep wrapped in a rag and sealed with wax inside a cast iron pot with a few gold coins in there for good measures... :D
And the dream goes on to.

Happy hunting yall and keep them fresh batteries handy.
Red

J

Jim Cal

Super finds! Thanks for the pictures. I love to read about all of the neat places and great finds...Keeps me motivated. Ya need any help cleaning the place out give me a call. Jim Cal

OP
OP
red

red

Feb 17, 2005
Lexington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Garrett 500
I just might need help but first I have to clear out about 2 ac. or more of mesquite before I can hunt the new ground around the home site.
You see 75% of the area is still unhuntable. Who knows what awaits me in next.

Red

J

Jim Cal

A tractor with a box blade will work just fine. Just kidding! I've got a farm that had an old house on it 50 years ago and it is all grown up now with some pretty big trees in that area so I can identify with your plight. I've been trying to find the old trash dump with a probe but no luck yet. I have found a bunch of pieces of an old cast iron stove so I think I'm getting close. My neighbor who is 90+ says the spring-fed creek on my farm was used by bootleggers during prohibition for water because the water was pure and clear. Let us know how this site progresses. Jim Cal

OP
OP
red

red

Feb 17, 2005
Lexington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Garrett 500
Well Jim I have the tractor and the box blade but not enough money to fix all the flats I'd have after and duering the trying to uproot the mesquite trees.
Here in Texas thats the state tree...well not really . just the most common.
I'll keep all informed if I find more there.

Red

OP
OP
red

red

Feb 17, 2005
Lexington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Garrett 500
:D I'd spend all my hare earned money on bandages From the thorns.
And your not the first one to tell me that .To sell it for BBQ wood. I could get rich or blood poisoning. :(

Red

W

wayne23

Those are cool finds red. Better than what i can find around the place. :'(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread