Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You won't believe it, and the mods won't think of it as a best find maybe, I don't care. I'm willing to bet some of you will agree is my best find EVER !

I got this little guy in 2006, in NFLD, I didn't take this picture but you can sure see how sweet he is

bruce-11 [].jpg

Can you believe someone just gave him up ?

My best fiend ever and companion, Bruce, as I named him has been helpfull on a couple of hunts, and has even found his own coin, A iron core dime has been stuck to his backpack. (with a magnet inside) albeit with a bad hair day

IMG_1317.JPG

I still have the iron core dime he collected that day.

Another bad hair day while trout fishing, I asure you he doesn't care about his hair. He was waiting for a lady friend on shore.
bad_hair_day.jpg

He's been imprisioned, for no fault of his own, those ferry officials have no sense of hunor..only strict rules.
the_brig1.JPG

He has helped me with the wood...even though he wasn't a lot of help.

IMG_1020.JPG

Sometimes he'd watch me dig a hole without too much interest.

IMG_2531.JPG

And sometimes he'd just sleep.

IMG_3358.JPG

And after only 8 very short years, he has refused to eat for the past week, and has been going down hill fast.
Having to say good-by to my best friend with such a very short life is hard to say the least.

I think it fair to say there is no human I will miss more.
I'm gonna miss you when your gone. Bruce

Last edited:
Upvote 21
OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if anyone has actually subscribed to this thread, but I'll Update anyway.

Aug 19.

I made the tough decision this morning, and yes I played god with life and death, I had my best friend put to death this Am Aug 19. That is sad for so many reasons, number one I'm just not qualified to make thesse decisions. Except it to say I could not stand to watch my friend starve completely to death, nor could I watch his cringing in pain anylonger, sure he made no noise like a much weaker human might have done. but I saw it.

I guess to make the long (very long) story short, He is gone.

Bruce...I keep looking at your "spot" and your not there, all I could think was no more Mr. Bruce.

Maybe writing about does in fact help.

Thanks Mods for not deleting this.

Rick

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if anyone has actually subscribed to this thread, but I'll Update anyway.

Aug 19.

I made the tough decision this morning, and yes I played god with life and death, I had my best friend put to death this Am Aug 19. That is sad for so many reasons, number one I'm just not qualified to make thesse decisions. Except it to say I could not stand to watch my friend starve completely to death, nor could I watch his cringing in pain anylonger, sure he made no noise like a much weaker human might have done. but I saw it.

I guess to make the long (very long) story short, He is gone.

Bruce...I keep looking at your "spot" and your not there, all I could think was no more Mr. Bruce.

Maybe writing about does in fact help.

Thanks Mods for not deleting this.

Rick

Rick, yes, keeping him alive and going through that would have been more for you than him, so you definitely made the right decision, even as hard as it must have been. If there's anything positive, at least detecting season is upon us and getting out and digging some holes will help get your head straight a little.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:sadsmiley:

Been down this road myself Rick and had to do the same as you, and you did do the right thing :sadsmiley: You stood by him al his life, gave him love and a home and made sure he did not suffer in the end. He had the perfect life and he would have thanked you for that, even though he could not tell you. The emptiness is hard to take ..I know, I lost my buddy six years ago now, the hardest decision I ever have had to take, to end his life, but I don't regret ending his suffering, you did the right thing... a best friend would do.

SS

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure if anyone has actually subscribed to this thread, but I'll Update anyway. Aug 19. I made the tough decision this morning, and yes I played god with life and death, I had my best friend put to death this Am Aug 19. That is sad for so many reasons, number one I'm just not qualified to make thesse decisions. Except it to say I could not stand to watch my friend starve completely to death, nor could I watch his cringing in pain anylonger, sure he made no noise like a much weaker human might have done. but I saw it. I guess to make the long (very long) story short, He is gone. Bruce...I keep looking at your "spot" and your not there, all I could think was no more Mr. Bruce. Maybe writing about does in fact help. Thanks Mods for not deleting this. Rick

You made the right call. Never second guess it. Sorry for your loss my friend.

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A dog is not only a best friend, they are unconditional love. Sorry for your loss.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rick I love my little baby girl more that 98% of people including most of my family. Probably shouldn't say that but it's the truth man. She's always been my best buddy and it will absolute kill me when she's gone! But she has given more happiness on a daily basis than I could ever repay. That warm greeting and wagging tail and those wet kisses are the best. I'm so sorry that you're dealing with this but as IP said you're better off for having the time you did. Hang in there my friend

image-3770107176.jpg

image-761157337.jpg

image-2117540700.jpg

image-2148993935.jpg

Jada and I will be thinking about you and your buddy. All the best, Abe

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rick, yes, keeping him alive and going through that would have been more for you than him, so you definitely made the right decision, even as hard as it must have been. If there's anything positive, at least detecting season is upon us and getting out and digging some holes will help get your head straight a little.

Thanks, IP, some digging therapy is def. required. I may get some tomorrow.

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:sadsmiley:

Been down this road myself Rick and had to do the same as you, and you did do the right thing :sadsmiley: You stood by him al his life, gave him love and a home and made sure he did not suffer in the end. He had the perfect life and he would have thanked you for that, even though he could not tell you. The emptiness is hard to take ..I know, I lost my buddy six years ago now, the hardest decision I ever have had to take, to end his life, but I don't regret ending his suffering, you did the right thing... a best friend would do.

SS

Thanks SS, well said. Appreciated.

smalltowngirl13

Gold Member
Aug 1, 2012
Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for your loss Rick and your little buddy was a definitely a treasure it sounds, I am sure he will continue to watch over you :)...

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Abe, RedCobra, and RJ55...unconditional...how right you are. It's crazy how I'd get greeted after being gone as little as 15-20 minutes, you'd think it more like 6 months.

Abe you're right too better than 98% of people. No motives, games, lies, meaness, etc.

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yours is the best and worst post I think I've ever read on this site. My Bruce is called Max and the thing about them is that their love is unconditional and without end. I think it was George Carlin who said dogs are nothing but heartache and now I know why ,because sadly they leave their owners behind. Thank you for sharing this and I think when Bruce is at rest another dog will be luckier than they will ever know to have you for his friend.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Abe, RedCobra, and RJ55...unconditional...how right you are. It's crazy how I'd get greeted after being gone as little as 15-20 minutes, you'd think it more like 6 months. Abe you're right too better than 98% of people. No motives, games, lies, meaness, etc.
Imagine a world where people were happy with a bowl full of food and some water. Happy to just be loved by one person on this earth. Didn't care about money or looks or any of the crap that supposedly symbolizes your status. Now wouldn't that be something my friend

Last edited:

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
My wife has been wanting a dog for some time. I told her it would be cruel, because at times we aren't here. And, it would be a logistical hassle to have him watched while we are gone, even for just a day.

She finally got a little red hen, and a cousin gave her a big white native Mexican rooster. We have a stand for a water tank and she built into a small hutch for them. We just finished fencing in the entire yard, so if we go away the same person who watches the house while we are gone, can open the little door in the am, and they go in by themselves, so he can also shut it at night. And, give them some food every day.

That funny little red hen is probably too old to lay eggs. But she is very domesticated and my wife can walk up to her and pet her. The rooster, no.

When it gets dark, they go in their little hutch. No roosts, but there are cement blocks in the back, and they huddle up close for the night.

Not a dog, but for our life style far less cruel.

silver mullet

Aug 20, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided to start my profile today after reading your post. I have browsed around the site quite a bit but this story hit me hard. We just had to say goodbye to our Dozer a few short weeks ago and that was one of the toughest days of my life. Picked up her ashes earlier in the week and it hit me again. There are just so many great memories and days that were spent with that happy pup. Looking forward to rescuing another down the road but not in a real rush. The loyalty they show and the joy they bring into our lives is truly a gift. As my wife and I exited the room after she passed and we said our goodbyes, on the radio played Time of Your Life by Green Day. I now have a new favorite song and know she is at peace. Wishing you the best and that the memories of the good times continue to bring you happiness on the tough days.

For what it's worth it was worth all the while
It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right
I hope you had the time of your life

John

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided to start my profile today after reading your post. I have browsed around the site quite a bit but this story hit me hard. We just had to say goodbye to our Dozer a few short weeks ago and that was one of the toughest days of my life. Picked up her ashes earlier in the week and it hit me again. There are just so many great memories and days that were spent with that happy pup. Looking forward to rescuing another down the road but not in a real rush. The loyalty they show and the joy they bring into our lives is truly a gift. As my wife and I exited the room after she passed and we said our goodbyes, on the radio played Time of Your Life by Green Day. I now have a new favorite song and know she is at peace. Wishing you the best and that the memories of the good times continue to bring you happiness on the tough days. For what it's worth it was worth all the while It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right I hope you had the time of your life John
John thanks for joining and thanks for writing a great comment. We need thoughtful members like you.

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Im praying for you Rick. I had the same decision in 2007 with my 16 year old buddy "Amos". To this day still the worst day of my life . There are very few humans i loved more than that dog! What got me through was constantly thanking God for the gift He allowed me to enjoy for 16 years and remembering what a good friend and companion he was and the good times we had. Hang in there brother.

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rick my condolences on your loss. We went through the exact same situation last fall when we had to make the tough decision to have our beloved friend, companion, and family member of 12 years euthanized. He was a handsome mix breed that gave us so much joy. It was like one day he was perfectly fine, the next day he is not eating and just laying around. Vets said he had an abdominal mass and there was nothing that could be done. Beleive me you made the right decision. You will find it rough for the first few months, then time will slowly heal your wounds. Treasure the loving memories of times you shared. I have been a dog owner all my life, and have gone through this 4 times. It never gets easier but you do recover and when you do you will agian start thinking of how much love and purpose animals will bring to your life. You will never replace Bruce, but if you ever feel the desire, you can always find another animal that will give that unconditional love. All the best!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread