colonial coin found

mr. snuffy

Nov 20, 2006
indian wells valley ca.
Detector(s) used
fisher CZ5,tesero bandito gold demon
not only did I find something that I've never seen before but it is also a connecticut colonial coin. they apparently were only made between 1785 nad 1788. the condition is not to great but you can just make out what it is without a mag. glass. the back is worn to the point that the date is worn off. I foun it while walking along a dirt road and swinging my coil over the berm, how it got way out here in the western desert is beyond me. It only took dish soap and finger rubbing to clean it up which is amazing. I can't believe a piece of eastern history found in the mojave desert and on a dirt road thats only about 100 yr. old. I have to wonder if someone didn't know what they had and just threw it away?

Attachments

• A0A06D9C-DBBC-0197-FE45BC41E121FCA4.jpg
    A0A06D9C-DBBC-0197-FE45BC41E121FCA4.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 2,164
  • A09F272F-C535-5FA8-3DEE59B012B92BB1.jpg
    A09F272F-C535-5FA8-3DEE59B012B92BB1.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 2,164
Upvote 0

dr-quest

Feb 25, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold, Whites XLT,Tesoro Stingray ll,Whites Surfmaster ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awsome find :D,theres hope I may find spanish silver here in Canada ;)
You never know what you`ll find ehh,gotta love it. :D

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
great find!!

really makes you wonder??that coins a long way from home!!

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Walking along those old roads sometimes gets overlooked......But those old trails were not the smoothest highways around, and in those days, the cloths they wore were so baggy and the coins so heavy . Many coins were lost during their travels.......Nice find! ;D

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
wow that one is a long way from home! bavck then people in Connecticut didnt even know the Mojave desert existed! great find!

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Great coin Snuffy! I've been trying to figure out which variety yours is... I only recently bought my first good coin book. It shows several varieties, but none are a match (maybe if I weren't so cheap I'd have bought a book that had 'em all). Anyway, great find! Keep 'em coming.

OP
OP
mr. snuffy

mr. snuffy

Nov 20, 2006
indian wells valley ca.
Detector(s) used
fisher CZ5,tesero bandito gold demon
it is a left facing draped bust, the other type was a wreathed bust usually right facing at least thats what I've been led to believe. I had a heck of time tyying to identify it. I found one on a dealers web site like it and just as worn, maybe worse and it was listed for 700.00. I went back to look at it again a couple hours later and it was GONE!

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350
wow that is a cool find somebody probably carried it around like a good luck piece congrats and hh

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are somewhere around 400 varieties of Conn. coppers. Attributing it to variety is necessary to value it. Rarity ranges from R1 [common] up to R8 1 to 3 known. Value for an R1 variety would start out around 20 dollars. Yours has enough detail that it should be identifiable for someone with the right references.

M-Squared

Mar 4, 2007
Long Beach, California
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum XLT & Bullseye II Probe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I must admit that it's quite a remarkable find considering the rarity of the coin and the remoteness of the location. I worked in the outer edge of mojave area for the past eight years and I would have bet more than the farm against a find like that.

Quite frankly, I think winning the lottery has a greater chance! Anywho.., perhaps the coin was lost during the gold rush era migration and kept as family keepsake. Who will ever know..

How deep was the target? Awesome find!

HH from mm

Scott (Upstate NY)

Mar 24, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's XLT, Classic III, Surf PI, Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very interesting find to be in California!!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions