How lucky to find one artifact. But two is still hard to believe.

Rocsteddie

Jun 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1346019 View attachment 1346020 View attachment 1346021
The blade is a Copper Culture Socketed knife blade that was hand made by hammering and folding copper to create the socket and the edge for cutting and used as a weapon about 3 to 6000 years old.
The stone is soapstone and was carved to make an ornament mold for beads and brooches. The human figure carved into the stone is something not seen on other ornament molds. The age of the stone it self is quite old but the carvings are about 250 to 300 years old. The magnification of the facial features of the stone was made with a 200x usb magnifier. The 3-D image is really amazing.
Thanks for your interest.

Last edited:
Upvote 9

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I got lucky and didn't have to dig through my site collection boxes as these were found just before winter and I haven't put the box away yet.

I grouped them together in a half dollar sized holder.

P1120867 (635x640).jpg

I have found them in larger sizes but never bigger than a dime. I will bet the farm that's the use of some of your mold designs!

As for the figurine design.......That one is pretty unique!

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
I'm not asking for a precise location, but can you tell us what state you found these in.
And it seems some of you know they're from the copper culture, but what dates do that include, to and from, approximately, for those of us that are not knolagable (or can't spell).

timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Copper point.

I found a copper point this year to, but it is only 4 1/2" and differs style. The points are 4000 to 7000 years old. A great find.... Congrats......

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not asking for a precise location, but can you tell us what state you found these in.
And it seems some of you know they're from the copper culture, but what dates do that include, to and from, approximately, for those of us that are not knowledgeable.

He mentioned that in post 13: "...I personally found them on my property in Northern Minnesota."

Very cool finds, roc!

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Socketed knife blade is on my bucket list and a fantastic find.
The soapstone mold artifact is intriguing to think maybe they cast copper objects for trade?
Add a little tin and you would have some bronze age.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very interesting thread.
Please keep us informed .
Awesome Finds.
Davers

OP
OP
Rocsteddie

Rocsteddie

Jun 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
That is awesome. YES I will have to agree. Same shape and size that could be made from my mold. Thanks for sharing Dave. As for the human figure that one is still open for suggestions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rocsteddie

Rocsteddie

Jun 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I have seen your thread TimeLord and that too is a once in a life time find. Right back at you with the congrats.

OP
OP
Rocsteddie

Rocsteddie

Jun 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
And it seems some of you know they're from the copper culture, but what dates do that include, to and from, approximately, for those of us that are not knolagable (or can't spell).

I found both artifacts in StLouis County, Mn. in the area of Esquagama Lake known for its Fur Trade (1650 to 1750) and Copper Culture (3000 to 6000 years before present date) history. FYI: There are some Native American Indian Mounds located here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rocsteddie

Rocsteddie

Jun 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I got lucky and didn't have to dig through my site collection boxes as these were found just before winter and I haven't put the box away yet.

I grouped them together in a half dollar sized holder.

View attachment 1089123

I have found them in larger sizes but never bigger than a dime. I will bet the farm that's the use of some of your mold designs!

As for the figurine design.......That one is pretty unique!
Hey Dave would you every consider $haring a couple of these?

OP
OP
Rocsteddie

Rocsteddie

Jun 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Giving thanks to a fellow Fur Trade hunter

View attachment 1342957 View attachment 1342958
Hey Dave would you every consider $haring a couple of these?

I want to thank Dave(Known as Muddyhandz on here)from Winnipeg for sending me these little lead brooches that shows a very nice representations of how they may have looked while being created hundreds of years ago. I set them in the mold and was quite surprised just how well they fit. Awesome! Even got an invite to go there and hunt some fur trade sites. That would be great. Here's a couple of pictures with brooches in the carved stone mold. Thanks again Dave.

Last edited:

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flabergasted by this artifact and Muddyhandz gift. Can't get better.

OP
OP
Rocsteddie

Rocsteddie

Jun 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1380374 View attachment 1380375
Flabergasted by this artifact and Muddyhandz gift. Can't get better.

I too was flabbergasted by the generosity of Muddyhandz. But this carved stone(Fur Trade Era 200 to 300 years old) shall remain forever only as a curiosity and speculation by some. Maybe someday the truth will be known.
The Copper Culture Socketed Blade(3 to 5 thousand years old) is also a once in a life time find.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread