My best resale shop find...3.3 pounds sterling!

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
This find happened last august, but I never thought to post it since it was right before I joined TNet.
So one day while out hitting the local thrift stores with me wifey, I always first check what they have in their display cases or behind the collectable counter.
This day I spied a set of antique flatware, and in knowing silver by its look/feel/sound I immediately inquired about the price as there were 49 pieces total, spoons, both table and tea, forks dinner and salad, small butter knives and some assorted pieces, the big butter knives the blades were clearly stainless, but the handles were sterling. which I bought 5 minutes after the first 39 pieces since I didn't know much about flatware at that time as to why the blades were steel versus silver, and I asked them to hold them while I went to the bank, which meant I had to google the knives.
I asked the manager to lower the price, due to the fact the pieces were so beat up, they were asking 2 dollars a piece, but he lowered it to 1 dollar each because of the damage, and since they get their stuff free everybody was happy..me more so.

At that time I never thought to take a pic of the silver, and honestly wished I had just melted it down and kept it for later days when greenbacks might lose their value, but I sold it to a refinery local to me 2 days later.
I paid 41.34$ then sold it for 926.79$
there was 1519 grams or 3.34 pounds of sterling silver, all I have is the receipt left. but it paid for my minelab and a week later my wife's best ever estate sale find, which I'll post about later.
here is the receipt.
View attachment 1047512

Guess that's called being in the right place at the right time, for not a minute after I started looking at the flatware I noticed another guy behind me staring with a gleam in his eye, who told me nice score right afterwards. while doing this in the corner I bet. :BangHead:

Mike

Upvote 7

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread