First Year Wrap Up

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I began this detecting journey one year ago. I love history and the research part was very easy for me. Luckily the colonial period happens to be my favorite time period. I've been lucky to put myself on some fantastic sites with pretty incredible history. I love hobby and it's allowed me to see places I would have never seen and find historic items that leave me pondering the story behind these pieces. Who did this belong to? What event caused this person to lose 2 pieces of Spanish silver? Did one of these musket balls found at a fort site take a mans life? How does one lose a shoe buckle? Who wore this enormous Patriotic political button? I get totally wrapped up in the finds and all of the possibilities regarding how they got there.
Before starting this journey last September I set a few goals. Here's a few of them
1. 1700s coin
2. Spanish silver
3. Old American silver
4. Old gun part
5. Military Button
I won't bore you with thee rest but I quickly realized that these goals were obtainable. I also realized that all of the late nights spent researching and digging thru old books, and maps where the main reason that I would achieve these goals. For anybody who's just starting out I can't stress enough how important the research is. The next thing I came to learn is that if you can put yourself into the areas that most are too lazy to get to you will be rewarded. I consistently hike miles, canoe to islands, stand on steep hills swinging my machine, or lay on my belly to get to a spot under some trees. It's just like anything else in life, the harder you work the more success you will have.
The last thing I will say about being successful is that your equipment absolutely makes a difference. I personally could never stand the thought that I had put in all of this time and ha rd work but my machine just wouldn't separate well enough or wasn't quite deep enough. Do your research and spend the money on a great machine. It is worth every penny guys.
The last thing I want to do is thank all of the great people on this site who have helped me along the way. You guys are awesome! There are so many people who have a vast knowledge in several different areas. Somebody on here will know what you have. And don't get offended when someone straightens your ass out and corrects you when you post something and you believe it to be something that it's not. Just say thank you and be happy that next time you will know what you're looking at. I've made lots of great friends on here and hope to meet some of you in person in the future. Thank you all.
Now for the finds. Nothing's earth shattering but here's a few of my favorites from year one
Shoe Buckles
image.jpg

Spoons
image.jpg

Crotal Bells
image.jpg

Old Keys
image.jpg

Lead Seals image.jpg

Buttons
image.jpg

A Few of my favorite buttons. Including the pre civil war navy button and the late 18th century patriotic political button with 13 "stars" the patriot button is my favorite find for what it stood for during the most important time in this country's history
image.jpg

Heel Plate
image.jpg

My Gun Part (Hexagonal Pistol Barrel)
image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg

And lastly a few of my coin finds. Mostly just some of the nicer condition coins and a group shot of the Large Cents, KGs, and Indian Heads. Thanks for looking guys and best of luck
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
2 state coppers. A1787 mass cent and a 1787 Connecticut. Hopefully I find some in better condition some day
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
The LCs
image.jpg

The KGs
image.jpg

The IHs
image.jpg

Last piece of advice is to keep a detailed journal of every hunt. Site location, length of hunt, finds, and notes ie if it's worth a trip back in the fall because it's too thick to hit a lot of the area. Take good pics as well. Trust me this organization will pay off. And it's fun to see what came from where. All the best, Abe

Upvote 9

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are a great example of research and recover. ..Awesome first year..Going to be hard to beat that..But I know you can do it..Thank you for sharing ur 1st year with us..Its been exciting coming alone for the ride with you!!!! Lets hope this year brings are chain..And are GW button...Oh cant forget the big old american SILVER!!!!
WAY TO GO ABE...
GEORGE

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget who your friends are, Iv'e been watching you and enjoy your sense of humor. My favorite is your 2 cent coin and the heave of your 1802 liberty's breast. I really didn't want to bring up your Spanish Silver, but they are nice also. I hope to hunt with you, when you come down to Jersey I lined up a few really good spots, this week I'm going to some spots that I researched that I'm convinced will turn up some really old stuff.
Best of luck to you Abe, nice finds!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
You raised the bar on first year finds. You are a natural and I hope to end my first year even close to yours!

Congrats and I wish you many more.

-Happy Hunting!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I didn't know this was your first year detecting Abe! :occasion14:
I thought for sure with the quality finds you made this year that you'd been detecting for years! :thumbsup:
Love all those 'Dandy Buttons' and the 1865 2-Cent Piece, the soil in Mass seems pretty decent.

Hey, can you tell me what the date is on this Victoria Quarter?
:icon_scratch:
Dave

Attachments

• Vickie-crop.jpg
    Vickie-crop.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 104
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't know this was your first year detecting Abe! :occasion14: I thought for sure with the quality finds you made this year that you'd been detecting for years! :thumbsup: Love all those 'Dandy Buttons' and the 1865 2-Cent Piece, the soil in Mass seems pretty decent. Hey, can you tell me what the date is on this Victoria Quarter? :icon_scratch: Dave
Dave it's an 1887 with only 100,000 minted. Unfortunately I could only see the year before I cleaned it then it was gone. My first ever silver find. Wish I had taken some pics pre cleaned but I was young and foolish back then lol

image-2356266020.jpg

You can barely see the 87 in this pic. This coin is rough. I so wish it was in better condition. Prob the lowest mintage coin I have
Btw I live in Maine :-)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are a great example of research and recover. ..Awesome first year..Going to be hard to beat that..But I know you can do it..Thank you for sharing ur 1st year with us..Its been exciting coming alone for the ride with you!!!! Lets hope this year brings are chain..And are GW button...Oh cant forget the big old american SILVER!!!! WAY TO GO ABE... GEORGE
Thanks buddy it's been a lot of fun sharing our finds especially where we started around the same time. I hope you blow the doors off last year finds.... That'll make a year to remember bro

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget who your friends are, Iv'e been watching you and enjoy your sense of humor. My favorite is your 2 cent coin and the heave of your 1802 liberty's breast. I really didn't want to bring up your Spanish Silver, but they are nice also. I hope to hunt with you, when you come down to Jersey I lined up a few really good spots, this week I'm going to some spots that I researched that I'm convinced will turn up some really old stuff. Best of luck to you Abe, nice finds!
Hey buddy it's been a real pleasure getting to know you through posts and giving eachother a hard time. So kind of you to recognize my Spanish. I almost forgot I had those old things.... No that's a lie. I keep them under my pillow lol
I wish you all the best in the future buddy and with your determination I see some great finds in your future

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You raised the bar on first year finds. You are a natural and I hope to end my first year even close to yours! Congrats and I wish you many more. -Happy Hunting!
Thanks Scrappy! It's all about the research man. If you continuously put yourself in the right areas you will find great old stuff

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I think you're a strong contender for Rookie of the Year! Great finds.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you're a strong contender for Rookie of the Year! Great finds.
Ha I didn't know there was an awards ceremony! Thanks for the vote of confidence bud. Hopefully I can pull some of the amazing things that you have. That snake button is incredible man

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely incredible finds my friend. Many of us have hunted for decades haven't put that kind of quality and rarity in our collection. You are one of a kind and can honestly say our friendship has been one of my best finds for the year..... that really tells ya I have had a rough year ha ha. Congrats on all the truly incredible finds my friend. HH

Mark

MichiganMan

Jun 13, 2008
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
A cheap one until I can decide on a very good brand-name one to buy.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me, in this instance, the 1866 IH really stands out. That is an especially nice find.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely incredible finds my friend. Many of us have hunted for decades haven't put that kind of quality and rarity in our collection. You are one of a kind and can honestly say our friendship has been one of my best finds for the year..... that really tells ya I have had a rough year ha ha. Congrats on all the truly incredible finds my friend. HH Mark
Mark I appreciate that buddy! It's been a lot of fun getting to know you and a few others on here. You best be coming up this fall for some old coins. Just leave my tree coin out of it :-)

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me, in this instance, the 1866 IH really stands out. That is an especially nice find.
Thanks buddy yes that IH is a beauty. The 1802 Draped Bust and the IH were both found near salt water. Sometimes it just doesn't make sense

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
You mean I've been following you for your FIRST year?

Good Lord man, you're my hero!

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an excellent first year. Great variety of finds except, where's the early american silver? Haha. Just messing with ya bud. Hopefully you can keep that up this year.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an excellent first year. Great variety of finds except, where's the early american silver? Haha. Just messing with ya bud. Hopefully you can keep that up this year.
Ha very funny! It's in the ground at my new job site. I will show you very soon I hope lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread