Old Hose Nozzle

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.

Attachments

• nozzle1.jpg
    nozzle1.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,473
  • nozzle2.jpg
    nozzle2.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,459
  • nozzle4.jpg
    nozzle4.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 1,450
  • nozzle5.jpg
    nozzle5.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,453
  • nozzle6.jpg
    nozzle6.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,450
Upvote 0
D

dugupfinds

Its very hard to know when something was lost unless it came from an archeological layer. The item would have had to be sealed in a layer right next to a mint 1890 coin to give you a close date.

You can use abit of science to give a rough date. ie metals like brass, bronze & lead etc.. all oxidize over time. The longer its been in the soil the different colour it goes. However this varies from soil condition to soil condition & depends on the purity of the metal.

So the simple answer is no, you can only guess or use experience/knowledge to narrow down your guess. For example if you research the nozzle & find that they replaced it in 1921 with a new type, you could argue that they dumped it around that time??

qkslvr

Oct 27, 2006
The Woodlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD/Garrett AtPro/Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had one just like that when I was growing up, ours was late 1950's- early 60s time frame. It had a point inside the end that turned the water off when you twisted the middle. Don't rmember the patent dates, but I'll look next time I'm at the old house. It is probably still there.

ChrisPA

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2007
4.0 miles outside of downtown Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 202
That looks like brass. I have a few of them and actually if you know of and old hardware store ( that mom and pop own) you could try there they are pretty good at answering some of your questions. If you need help let me know. There is one old hardware store left in my area and they are pretty good.

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
qkslvr said:
We had one just like that when I was growing up, ours was late 1950's- early 60s time frame. It had a point inside the end that turned the water off when you twisted the middle. Don't rmember the patent dates, but I'll look next time I'm at the old house. It is probably still there.

I'm Qkslvr's brother and though I did find the one he was talking about it has no patent date on it. It was made by "Champion" in Italy and was probably made in early 1960's. It is very similar to yours, except for an extra small knurled spray adjuster close to where the hose screws to it.

The one you found is much older.

Very good find!!!!

OP
OP
S

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
Thanks for all the replies. It does work, actually. It took alot of work to clean it up, it had weeds completely growing through it. The more I hunt the site that I found it, the older I think it is. The newest coin that I found there is a 1916 Wheat, so I have to believe that it's at least that old. I'm gonna try to polish it up with brass cleaner.

Ian

rickyinms

Jun 23, 2007
east central Ms
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
i hate to bring old post back to life but when did the area have running water? that would be the very latest that it could be lost.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions