Well used mortise chisel

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While this may not look like much to many of you, it was quite the find for me. No it's not a Confederate buckle or a GW button (those would be GOOD) but it is special because it came from the property where the second home was built in my town back in the mid 1800's. The home was said to have been built of logs that were hand hewn, cut from right there on his property.The tang on it has been hammered over flat from use as the wooden handle gave out, leaving the craftsman to keep on mortising without the handle in place. I had researched this property but never approached the landowner until the day i noticed a driveway was being prepped for pouring concrete in front of the modern older home that now occupied the site. I stopped and explained to the owner about lost history due to development and DRIVEWAYS, so he agreed to let me search it good before he poured the following Monday.Long story short, this was found at an area he had dug extra depth at, for a footer by the road. It was 6 inches below his footer trench which was 12 inches down, making this artifact 18 inches deep had it not ever became a driveway.Today; however, it is. The story this tells of my town's early beginning and the hard work that was performed to carve a home out of the wilderness is the real treasure here. Thanks for looking.

DSC00080.JPG DSC00102.JPG DSC00105.JPG

Upvote 2

wherenext1961

Apr 20, 2014
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, Mine Lab pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool. Thanks for sharing background info that makes it even better!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions