outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 with 8.5"x 11" DD coil & Vulcan 360 pin pointer
along with good 'ol eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have found some nice fossils over the years, but I love the sea urchins!!
I sometimes use a small magnifying glass to take pics to show the detail since they are hard to photograph.
Also, I have only a few of the snail shell fossils, which are too my favs. Way less snail shells to be found it seems!

Attachments

• fossils 002.jpg
    fossils 002.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 189
  • fossils 007.jpg
    fossils 007.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 153
  • fossils 008.jpg
    fossils 008.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 167
  • fossils 009.jpg
    fossils 009.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 149
  • fossils 013.jpg
    fossils 013.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 154
  • fossils 014.jpg
    fossils 014.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 158
  • fossils 018.jpg
    fossils 018.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 172
Upvote 1

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat finds!!!

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Repeat after me: Echinoids(sea urchins), Exogyra arietina(snails) and turritellas(curly Q dudes). That's what we have here in our area. If you want to hunt those snall shells about 50 times larger(exogyra ponderosa), there is a reef behind Holmes High School that is loaded with them. They wash out of the soil and are just sitting on top. Heading toward Blanco there are exogyra texana(about 1/4th that big down that road where the big golf ball statue is. Go to the golf course area and there is a bunch. Then, if you want calcite geodes, drive to Spring Branch and as you pass the store there, the first slope on the right is full of them. Happy hunting...

OP
OP
outdoorfunblonde

outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 with 8.5"x 11" DD coil & Vulcan 360 pin pointer
along with good 'ol eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks!! I'll keep that in mind!:headbang:

bone2stone

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
???
Repeat after me: Echinoids(sea urchins), Exogyra arietina(snails) and turritellas(curly Q dudes). That's what we have here in our area. If you want to hunt those snall shells about 50 times larger(exogyra ponderosa), there is a reef behind Holmes High School that is loaded with them. They wash out of the soil and are just sitting on top. Heading toward Blanco there are exogyra texana(about 1/4th that big down that road where the big golf ball statue is. Go to the golf course area and there is a bunch. Then, if you want calcite geodes, drive to Spring Branch and as you pass the store there, the first slope on the right is full of them. Happy hunting...

You are close, the echinoids are called Salinia Mexicana. I collect local species of Tex echinoids (DFW area).
I have found three species of Salinia, (Mexicana/Texana and Volana) all found within 10 miles of Ft Worth.
The snails on the other hand are numerous in some deposits. Take a look at mine in the fossils thread. "Enmasse death plate"
The Exogyra Pondersoa you speak of, on the other hand are not snails at all. They are in effect a different species completely.???
Exogyra is a species of extinct oyster. We find these and a few other gryphaeidae in the N Tex area especially along the upper Sulphur River.
If you Google or Bing the name Exogyra Ponderosa Wikipedia has a full explanation on these.
Hope outdoorfunblond finds lots of fossils but next time post them in the fossil thread.
That way fossil guys such as me will find it quickly.

Bone2stone (Jess Boe)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions