Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey all,
Since I'm NEW here, I'm not quite sure if this is the best place to post this. I've tried looking around and reading the helps and ended up here.
Hope I'm in the right place.
I used to detect about 30 years ago, since I lived at the beach, but found only the normal stuff. Got sidetracked-
In 2010, I broke my back in a motorcycle accident, then had to have my rotator cuff operated a year and a half or so ago.(I'm recovered, mostly, thanks!) But while doing the PT, I thought Metal detecting would be a good way to get outside, and keep myself limbered up until I went back to work- which I am now.
The thing is, once I restarted searching, now I can't stop!

I searched on the beach and old vanished farms the first 6 months, found enough to keep me interested. But beginning in 2014, I began searching the town I live in with a vengeance. Permissions have been easily obtained so far. I am blessed. And since this town was founded in the 1600's, I knew, if it hasn't been searched out, I should do well.
I did my research - found the old maps and laid the groundwork. It's taken me awhile to learn my machines, and get the most out of them and the properties so that I have been finding better and more artifacts.

I can't show you all that I've found in the past year in one post (or ten) . It's been good.
I can only go out about 2 or three hours at a time, (Oh, my back!) and I can go around two or three days a week - every chance I get.

Saying that, I have gotten so much pleasure seeing all your finds, I thought I would share some of the coins I've found this past year. A Reader's Digest version anyway. I hope you enjoy them.

1875 Shield Nickle.jpg 1909 Liberty V Nickle.jpg 1937 Buffalo Nickle.jpg 1943 War Nickle.jpg

I'll start with the nickles: I have found around 6 War nickles, 6 Buffalo's, 2 Liberty V's and just found my first Shield last week.

1884 Indian Head Cent.jpg 1925 Standing Liberty Quarter.jpg 1940 Mercury Dime.jpg 1937 Walking Liberty Half Dollar.jpg

Some other fun stuff and then the Silver !
I went ten months before I found an Indian Head, and that first one seemed to open the floodgates and it got better right away. Silver is still rare.. I have found about 30 Indians since then, plus my first 1862 fatty last week. Well over a hundred wheaties (almost one for each date they were made, plus the extra's) . Then... you have a day like the one where I found this Mercury and the Walking Liberty 50 cents in the same hole with a danish coin ! Go figure! My eyes were as big as that half dollar when I saw it in the hole. I have about 14 silver dimes, mostly Merc's. 4 Standing Liberty Quarters and 9 Washington Silvers.

1806 Half Cent..jpg 1842 Braided Hair LC.jpg 1807 Draped Bust LC.jpg 1864 2 Cents.jpg

I didn't even know there was a U.S. half cent until I found it! (I am obviously not a numismatist) lol
I know these older coins are not in the best condition but I was just as excited to find them than if they were solid gold. I just love the history that goes with them. The 1842 Large Cent looked like it came from the bank. And I was VERY excited to find the 2 cents pc. because it was on my list of wants, since it is the first U.S. coin to have "In God We Trust" on it. I just found the Draped Bust LC last week as well.

1775 King George III..jpg 1700's KG II Obv..jpg 1787 Connecticut Copper.jpg

I have found 5 English Coppers, this KG II was memorable because it was my first colonial coin. Wow! I think I got a tear in my eye.. I can't help but wonder why someone drove a square nail through it.. To carry it? to nail it to a tree? Maybe they just didn't like the Crown? You've gotta wonder..
I know the Connecticut coin is toasted, but it too is my first, You can see the date, and it came through the Northern colonies to rest here in Maryland, between the time it was made after the Rev. War and the Federal Govt. started Issuing coins in 1793. The King George III is actually better than appears here and very clear for being buried so long. I have four KG II and only one KG III. I think because they didn't ship any or many KG III during the hostilities. So, I was surprised, and quite frankly blown away to find it and by what has turned up around here.

I have many artifacts as well, I'll share the best of, when I get a chance. I have appreciated this website and all you guys who share the same excitement and love of history and the rare, the hidden treasures, as much as I do. You're a great bunch.

Upvote 17
OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very, very nice finds!!

Thanks a lot Richardson, I appreciate you taking a look. have a great 2015 yourself!

Hello EasternShoreMetal,
Congratulations on your coin finds! Happy Hunting in 2015
Regards,

Thanks Prof. I have been very blessed, that's for sure. Here's hoping you are the same. Have a great New Year of hunting.

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing coin finds. Love the green on the 1994 indian. That penny was dropped the same year it was minted. Half cents were minted starting in 1793 until the 1850s. That 1842 looks good. Doesn't look porous at all. The elements were kind to it.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful finds, well presented.

OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Amazing coin finds. Love the green on the 1994 indian. That penny was dropped the same year it was minted. Half cents were minted starting in 1793 until the 1850s. That 1842 looks good. Doesn't look porous at all. The elements were kind to it.

Hi Bill, I know you mean the 1884 IH. I couldn't believe the shape that was in when I pulled it out, you could even read the LIBERTY through the grains of dirt. Still my best IH condition-wise. And the same is true of the LC. It had to be lost soon after it came out of the bank. It's not porous at all! only the color tells me it's been buried. Sweet! But few and far between. That whole yard can be seen by this link of my best SITE finds of the year-
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/2014-annual-finds/442953-2014-now-artifacts-post-01-a.html
You will be able to tell the ground must have been pretty chemically stable, lots of the artifacts were in primo condition.
And thanks for the kind words - have a great New Year of Hunting as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread