Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey all,
Since I'm NEW here, I'm not quite sure if this is the best place to post this. I've tried looking around and reading the helps and ended up here.
Hope I'm in the right place.
I used to detect about 30 years ago, since I lived at the beach, but found only the normal stuff. Got sidetracked-
In 2010, I broke my back in a motorcycle accident, then had to have my rotator cuff operated a year and a half or so ago.(I'm recovered, mostly, thanks!) But while doing the PT, I thought Metal detecting would be a good way to get outside, and keep myself limbered up until I went back to work- which I am now.
The thing is, once I restarted searching, now I can't stop!

I searched on the beach and old vanished farms the first 6 months, found enough to keep me interested. But beginning in 2014, I began searching the town I live in with a vengeance. Permissions have been easily obtained so far. I am blessed. And since this town was founded in the 1600's, I knew, if it hasn't been searched out, I should do well.
I did my research - found the old maps and laid the groundwork. It's taken me awhile to learn my machines, and get the most out of them and the properties so that I have been finding better and more artifacts.

I can't show you all that I've found in the past year in one post (or ten) . It's been good.
I can only go out about 2 or three hours at a time, (Oh, my back!) and I can go around two or three days a week - every chance I get.

Saying that, I have gotten so much pleasure seeing all your finds, I thought I would share some of the coins I've found this past year. A Reader's Digest version anyway. I hope you enjoy them.

1875 Shield Nickle.jpg 1909 Liberty V Nickle.jpg 1937 Buffalo Nickle.jpg 1943 War Nickle.jpg

I'll start with the nickles: I have found around 6 War nickles, 6 Buffalo's, 2 Liberty V's and just found my first Shield last week.

1884 Indian Head Cent.jpg 1925 Standing Liberty Quarter.jpg 1940 Mercury Dime.jpg 1937 Walking Liberty Half Dollar.jpg

Some other fun stuff and then the Silver !
I went ten months before I found an Indian Head, and that first one seemed to open the floodgates and it got better right away. Silver is still rare.. I have found about 30 Indians since then, plus my first 1862 fatty last week. Well over a hundred wheaties (almost one for each date they were made, plus the extra's) . Then... you have a day like the one where I found this Mercury and the Walking Liberty 50 cents in the same hole with a danish coin ! Go figure! My eyes were as big as that half dollar when I saw it in the hole. I have about 14 silver dimes, mostly Merc's. 4 Standing Liberty Quarters and 9 Washington Silvers.

1806 Half Cent..jpg 1842 Braided Hair LC.jpg 1807 Draped Bust LC.jpg 1864 2 Cents.jpg

I didn't even know there was a U.S. half cent until I found it! (I am obviously not a numismatist) lol
I know these older coins are not in the best condition but I was just as excited to find them than if they were solid gold. I just love the history that goes with them. The 1842 Large Cent looked like it came from the bank. And I was VERY excited to find the 2 cents pc. because it was on my list of wants, since it is the first U.S. coin to have "In God We Trust" on it. I just found the Draped Bust LC last week as well.

1775 King George III..jpg 1700's KG II Obv..jpg 1787 Connecticut Copper.jpg

I have found 5 English Coppers, this KG II was memorable because it was my first colonial coin. Wow! I think I got a tear in my eye.. I can't help but wonder why someone drove a square nail through it.. To carry it? to nail it to a tree? Maybe they just didn't like the Crown? You've gotta wonder..
I know the Connecticut coin is toasted, but it too is my first, You can see the date, and it came through the Northern colonies to rest here in Maryland, between the time it was made after the Rev. War and the Federal Govt. started Issuing coins in 1793. The King George III is actually better than appears here and very clear for being buried so long. I have four KG II and only one KG III. I think because they didn't ship any or many KG III during the hostilities. So, I was surprised, and quite frankly blown away to find it and by what has turned up around here.

I have many artifacts as well, I'll share the best of, when I get a chance. I have appreciated this website and all you guys who share the same excitement and love of history and the rare, the hidden treasures, as much as I do. You're a great bunch.

Upvote 17

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great bunch of coins you got....but you know there is still time left in 2014 for a few more bests.:icon_thumright: Love the IHP, its in killer shape.

OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great bunch of coins you got....but you know there is still time left in 2014 for a few more bests.:icon_thumright: Love the IHP, its in killer shape.

I hope I didn't curse myself... ha! That IH is the best looking one I have so far, others are good too, but it is pristine. Prob. jumped the gun but wanted to share, It's nice to find people who understand our excitement over lil pieces of metal !

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope I posted this in the right place.. not many views.

I found your post in active topics....I almost never check on "best finds", or any other sub-forums, just depends on what members are in too, your finds are great, and maybe this bump will find some new eyes...

OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found your post in active topics....I almost never check on "best finds", or any other sub-forums, just depends on what members are in too, your finds are great, and maybe this bump will find some new eyes...

Thanks for that.. being new, trying to figure things out, and want to do them the right ways. I usually goto "Today's Finds" and "What is it?" so I hadn't even been to "best finds" yet myself. I hope it gets more viewers, (takes a lot of work to prep and post that many images) whew!

OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
excellnt photos! some coins are in superior condition, and you didn't ding 'em. nice.
Thanks for the kind words! I keep a notebook with all my finds and a lot of times with the right lighting setups, I can see more details better with a good pic, and easier than keeping a loupe on your eye for hours too! lol
I hardly ever ding an object, because I pinpoint as best as I can and dig a large hole.. Still happens sometimes tho.. Don't you love the signal that jumps six inches when you've dug your hole ?... Twice ? haha

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Super NICE coins dude! 30 years to make up for now.I know all about the back..06 I fell off a ladder
breaking mine in 4 places.MDing is the best therapy I've found.i don't bend..just kneel and a LOT of walking...gotta keep active some how.

GOD Bless

Chris

OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Super NICE coins dude! 30 years to make up for now.I know all about the back..06 I fell off a ladder
breaking mine in 4 places.MDing is the best therapy I've found.i don't bend..just kneel and a LOT of walking...gotta keep active some how.
GOD Bless
Chris

Hey Chris (my name too!)
Thanks for the kind words. After detecting long ago, I picked up Native American artifact hunting, much the same thing, except stuff was much older! This area is great for that too.
It's hard gettin old ain't it? I don't bounce like I used to. lol
But it's fun to be back swinging the coil. MDing is GREAT therapy, and not just physical. And I find prayer helps my finds greatly.. Bless you right back. (and your back too)

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some excellent finds! Congrats on the coins. Now, bring on the relics!

P.S.--at the rate you're going, something BIG is bound to get dug.

-Buck

OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those are some excellent finds! Congrats on the coins. Now, bring on the relics!

P.S.--at the rate you're going, something BIG is bound to get dug.

-Buck

Whew! It took more work than I thought to post the single coins.. lol
But, I'll probably post the artifacts in bunches, and folks can pick what they like. I don't have a ton, but what I do have are pretty cool. (I found a ton or two, sitting in a garbage can now I can't move, in back of my garage)

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice haul on the coins, some real beautiful treasure!

Have a friend that hunts near you I guess because he comes up with some amazing finds also...

He swings a CTX, young guy..Tim

OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice haul on the coins, some real beautiful treasure!

Have a friend that hunts near you I guess because he comes up with some amazing finds also...

He swings a CTX, young guy..Tim

Thanks for the kind words. I'll be posting some artifacts probably this coming week.
Actually, if you are in or near O.C. Md., YOU are very close to me. (oops, I just saw the Jersey Shore Vid. so, you must be O.C. N.J ?) If Tim is on TN, have him PM me.
Nice vids, is that you? I think I saw an OBN. I esp. liked them because of the underwater angle. I just got my Open Water Diver cert. in St. Croix. After I get confident of my skills with that, I thought... "hmmm, time for an underwater detector that goes deeper than my AT Pro." lol

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
OC MD, I lived down there this past summer to beach detect and enjoy the sites...Now I'm back to the Bay for the winter but will be back next summer, we will have to hit it Next summer! And dig some Gold...

OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OC MD, I lived down there this past summer to beach detect and enjoy the sites...Now I'm back to the Bay for the winter but will be back next summer, we will have to hit it Next summer! And dig some Gold...

I'm looking forward to a couple of good winter sand moving storms... lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions