Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks so much for your remarks about relics and coins I have found in Castine, Maine from the "Penobscot Expedition. A little known Revolutionary War site I was able to hunt for 14 years up until 2009 and 5 days in May of this year. The next relic that came from the same woods close to Ft George as the 1/5 cut real Gen. McLean ordered to be cut is an American Indian one. This was a dual site and an outwork from the fort that late in the siege the Americans were able to get about 150 feet from the fort and had a small engagement with the Brits. So both American and British relics have been found there.
I and others had hunted this piece of woods that indeed was a relic and coin mine. Many King George coppers, a few cannon balls, grapeshot, mortar fragments and dropped musket balls were found. To include that 1/5 cut real I posted earlier. Even though it was pretty well hunted out I kept being drawn back to listen for those deep targets . One day I found a small piece of brass with a hole in it and like a partial half moon and like all things I find kept in case it could be Ided later. Two weeks later I decide it's time to do some sifting and brought in my hand made sifter. So I am, down about 10 inches and on the side of the hole I feel a metal object and gently pull it out. In my hand is what looks like a half moon piece of brass in terrible condition and then. It took me a few minutes but then I realized it was good piece of a gorget. Gorgets were used by the French, British and American officers and worn around the neck.. This one was plain and of French design and quite large. Remembering the other small piece found 2 weeks earlier at about 5 inches deep when I got home put them together to complete it.
Of interest the Penobscot Indians allied themselves with the Americans and a small group fought side by side with them in this siege. It is my opinion only since the two pieces were found about 12 inches apart and at different depths most likely the Indian was killed in that small skirmish and probably from a musket ball or grapeshot.. However that is just my opinion but from my knowledge of gorgets this one was probably made during the French & Indian war and given as a gift to the I Scan0161.jpg Scan0162.jpg Scan0163.jpg ndian who wore it.
Here are three pictures of the gorget as it looked when found, lightly cleaned and then fully cleaned. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool. Glad you didn't let the restoration guys at it.

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IP- Yes it was a special day when I found that as I am from Old Town, Maine and the Penobscot tribe is on Indian Island. Went to Old Town high school and had many Indian friends and wore proudly my high school coat with Old Town Indians on it. However sadly I learned in May politics got to a few members of the tribe and now the Old Town Indians are no more and some animal , that looks like a rodent, is on their coats. Very sad . This gorget is very thin and in another 50 years would have just rotted away.

Last edited:

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great piece of history you dug, and a cool story to boot.....ps I would stick to the story as well....i's a special artifact with a story to tell, for sure.

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey IP
Yes it is always a gamble trying to clean relics and most of the time I usually just brush off the dirt and leave them as found. This one however cried out for some tender loving care. Since these early French gorgets are hand hammered they are thin to begin with a probably if it did not have a iron wire around the rim would have came out in pieces.

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
great piece of history you dug, and a cool story to boot.....ps I would stick to the story as well....i's a special artifact with a story to tell, for sure.
Thanks ,\. Of interest at the end of my write up on the gorget I did put"That 's my story and I am sticking to it " but then remembered someone made a comment on my first relic post of Cpt Hinkley's buckle and it did sound arrogant so removed it. However your right and like the buckle I will reinstate that comment but not to be arrogant just my knowledge of the history .

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome! I've never seen one dug!
Yup I have never seen another and rarely are they lost. I must say was in shock when the other larger piece was found. Since I knew the Penobscots fought there it was easy to ID.. Thanks Gary

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible, is all that comes to mind. Well done.
Is site now off limits or under concrete?
Peace ✌

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Incredible, is all that comes to mind. Well done.
Is site now off limits or under concrete?
Peace ✌
No it is off limits because of a archeologist from the University of Maine who purswaded the local conservation group to post it. I got in 14 good years of hunting plus 5 days in May this year hunting mainly beaches before that happened in 2007.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job recovering those pieces /= whole. And an awesome back-story too. Always grateful for that. You had some good time there, man. You're lucky! Yakker

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The items you recovered and the ties to certain events or groups make them extra special . It is such a rarity to really understand the history behind a dug item. The gorget is such a scarce item to see come out of the ground. Anything native such as a spear point or arrowhead is a great find but this one is a lot more special in my opinion. More great history. Thanks Gary

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The items you recovered and the ties to certain events or groups make them extra special . It is such a rarity to really understand the history behind a dug item. The gorget is such a scarce item to see come out of the ground. Anything native such as a spear point or arrowhead is a great find but this one is a lot more special in my opinion. More great history. Thanks Gary

Thanks Abe
Jeff got me straightened out to where the posts should go so I will be under "Best Finds." Am doing a rewrite now on Cpt. Hnikley's shoe buckle frame. I did not do the little relic proud so it will be a redo.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions