Its ok, I give

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
It's ok, I give

well after spending the morning out in the yard puttering around, I'm convinced 99.9% that detecting is done for me this season.
it was a cool -14C, with no end in sight
2014 was good year for me detecting, I made some decent finds, had a ton of fun detecting and discovering new sites and revisiting some old, and made some great memories while remembering why I like detecting so much.

Quantity wasn't a word thrown around by me too many times out in the field, the pile was scant. Quality slipped in and out, mostly out, but when it counted, I was left asking for a little more. Let's just all agree we've seen better. One exception may well be my token find which made the banner, the rest we're many of the reasons why we listen to the ground.

Thises and thats dominated the spotlight broken up by the usual coins, buttons, broken bits of things, and various other pieces of everyday life left behind. Main stand outs included my MacCausland token, Spanish cob, Irish bank token, worn French silver , Condor token, and store token. So it was a token kind of year really, just fantastic from my side! My relics we're just that way too, the Victorian vinaigrette was a surprise for sure and the Mason fob also made the day for me. A few Revolutionary buttons made it under the coil, but the military bug didn't bite too deep this year. Coin numbers were ok, considering I only detected maybe twenty times. About sixty coppers and thirtyfive silver coins I guess, sadly only a few were older than the 40s, 50s and 60s stuff from my neighbours lawns.

and yes as always, I still say every year how amazing it is and things we find! with hopes of finding more next year

happy new year everyone!

if anyone wants to see closeups of ask about anything I'll try to keep up

Attachments

• 2014gp.JPG
    2014gp.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 137
  • 14copps.JPG
    14copps.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 137
  • 14sils.JPG
    14sils.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 133
  • 14odds.JPG
    14odds.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 128
  • maca.JPG
    maca.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 139
Upvote 10

ks coyote

Aug 30, 2012
Auburn Kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX x 2, XLT, SL 90, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A very successful year. Congrats on some nice finds.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your Fall was made on the first hunt, but all in all for the time you spent digging that's pretty damn good year. You got great stuff in all the basic categories, and the only thing that could have been a little better is the condition of the early silver.... but when they are 1600s it's not like one should be picky! I sure as heck would not be, but that's a whole other story.

I think the Spring should be pretty good. Hit the place where all the coins and Artillery shako pieces came out and look for the site that I think is just off the field, plus the one in the next field... do some old fav. including the Hawker and NJ site, and I'm sure I'll have plenty more ideas before it rolls around again.

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Batch of finds There IH,you guy's up north of me kill the coin count no way to compete with you all on that down this way,I can find the relics just not them dag gum coins,:laughing7: you guy's are also blessed on the Rev. War Items as well another thing that will not show it self here in no quanity.Gotta say I like that FORD tag though as I'm a ford man myself always have been my first ride was a 1977 F150 & my new ride to this day is the ecoboost F150 which I just put some new wheels on & took a few shots a couple days ago.
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:

Attachments

• DSCN0073.JPG
    DSCN0073.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 112
  • DSCN0076.JPG
    DSCN0076.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 110
OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Nice Batch of finds There IH,you guy's up north of me kill the coin count no way to compete with you all on that down this way,I can find the relics just not them dag gum coins,:laughing7: you guy's are also blessed on the Rev. War Items as well another thing that will not show it self here in no quanity.Gotta say I like that FORD tag though as I'm a ford man myself always have been my first ride was a 1977 F150 & my new ride to this day is the ecoboost F150 which I just put some new wheels on & took a few shots a couple days ago.
Take Care,

Nice truck, it could take me to a lot of digging sites easily I think. My dad drives the same one, but he wouldn't let me take his some of the places I take my Toyota Its his baby lol

Yep some days if it wasn't for the odd coin there be a bunch of strikeouts

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Your Fall was made on the first hunt, but all in all for the time you spent digging that's pretty damn good year. You got great stuff in all the basic categories, and the only thing that could have been a little better is the condition of the early silver.... but when they are 1600s it's not like one should be picky! I sure as heck would not be, but that's a whole other story.

I think the Spring should be pretty good. Hit the place where all the coins and Artillery shako pieces came out and look for the site that I think is just off the field, plus the one in the next field... do some old fav. including the Hawker and NJ site, and I'm sure I'll have plenty more ideas before it rolls around again.

already looking forward to the spring, going to find some real good ones next time!

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice truck, it could take me to a lot of digging sites easily I think. My dad drives the same one, but he wouldn't let me take his some of the places I take my Toyota Its his baby lol

Yep some days if it wasn't for the odd coin there be a bunch of strikeouts
I heard that he's got good taste.:thumbsup:8-) Yea I could have fun just with the coin hunting up your way.Not to mention the Rev. war stuff.But that's how it goes & makes the forum stay interesting being able to see all the things others are able to find.
Take Care,
& Happy 2015 to you on your hunts,

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
already looking forward to the spring, going to find some real good ones next time!

Once we're about half way there I think I'll start doing some Thursday nights at the archives. Early on when we went the biggest obstacle was probably having so much material and not enough knowledge on where to focus, but now that we know almost every area inside and out it will probably be easy to dissect some good early remaining hidden sites. I have so much I want to get done over the next 4 months I think detecting might actually come too fast for me! ...but I won't be too upset if it does. :)

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For getting out only twenty times and amassing all of that isn't shabby at all, a banner find, and a few quality finds beat a bag full of so so finds any day. It always surprises me on how little one can go out but still at the end of the season there's a few really nice display keepers.

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
For getting out only twenty times and amassing all of that isn't shabby at all, a banner find, and a few quality finds beat a bag full of so so finds any day. It always surprises me on how little one can go out but still at the end of the season there's a few really nice display keepers.

You know I thought that too after thinking about it all, although what I might consider the "good stuff" and the fact it all fits in the first little compartment of an ice cube tray really makes you wonder how so little can say so much
If I get out more next year it won't matter if I don't even find as much, at least in out there and that gives me a shot at something awesome

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent post ironhorse, nice write! Thanks for the pictures!
Looks and sounds like you had a great year.
Best of Luck in 2015!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice collection of coins!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had some nice quality finds which I'd take over quantity any day. I'm sure you fellas will have some exciting new spots in the spring. I know I will

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had some nice quality finds which I'd take over quantity any day. I'm sure you fellas will have some exciting new spots in the spring. I know I will

You can be sure we will have some new spots, but not sure how exciting they will be as after 14 years it's not easy to find the great old sites that are loaded with goodies. What IH posted above was a good month back in the day, his lg 300 coppers one year looked just a tad larger than the pile above. :laughing7:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's ridiculous. Wonder what they found in the 80s?

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds

It does make one wonder what the "old timers" picked up years ago, at least in our area relic hunters are much scarcer than your regular run of the mill park clad hunters;but no doubts there are some awesome collections around

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does make one wonder what the "old timers" picked up years ago, at least in our area relic hunters are much scarcer than your regular run of the mill park clad hunters;but no doubts there are some awesome collections around
I've heard the stories of guys filling their pockets with silver coins. I'm sure there's some that cleaned up but the technology wasn't quite up to today's. It certainly isn't easy to get on a super productive early site. But I'm not afraid of a challenge

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here, the late 1800s/1900s stuff from the Church yards, parks, schools, and beaches. That's why we did so well, it was basically just our group and one other hunting fields when we started, and even the obvious old sites had not been hit, so it was easy pickens. It's great to be the guys that the people who are new to the hobby will always look at as having been first, and found the most and the best. It's such a crazy thought for me to consider, but even in say 1990 if just one person would have got into detecting the best old places here he would have had everything to himself for near a decade, and have a collection of finds I can not even begin to imagine. But lucky for me no one had that idea.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions