Stunning Indian 2 Days after my first 1700s coin

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been pounding a home site built in 1831 (still standing but vacant). I found 4 LCs, the first one was an 1829 in stellar condition (and after 2 years detecting, my oldest coin) three days later an 1819 (crusty rough) condition, but my new oldest coin, an 1826 and 1828 over a 10 day period when I first started hunting there (Nov. 2012) Since then I have only managed 2 Indians, 3-4 wheaties and when I'm there, I envision finding my first ever Seated or Capped Bust coinage, all I have in the Silver department is a merc and a couple War Nickels from there. So this year on Fri. Nov. 16, once again I found my oldest coin (but didn't know it for 4-5 days) a 1778 Spanish 1/2 Reale, really worn and pretty smooth. I thought I had found a worn out used up seated dime, but was happy. On Sunday the 18th I pulled my 5th LC a pretty decent 1830 and the 1866 Indian, this helped take the sting out of, what I thought was my first Seated ( I still didn't know I had broke into the 1700s club) I was floating on cloud 9 for 2-3 days after seeing the condition of this STUNNING Semi Key Indian!!! About the time I came down from that a buddy over on another site recognized the "H I S" of H I S P A N on the coin and identified it for me.......back into the clouds I went lol lol I was able to see a lot more detail taking pictures outside in the natural light (sun) and with a little enhancement from Windows photo viewer, I picked out the date, mint mark and some more lettering.
This farm has been really, really good to me, it's iron infested and slow going, I've left the Indian and Reale behind on several trips there, this leaves me wondering what is still there hiding just waiting for me to rescue!!

1. One of the Pillars with banner. 2. M with o over it. (Mexico City mint mark) 3. Lettering "IND" 4. H I, all that is visible of HISPAN. All Olentangy needed to Identify this little gem for me! Props to him!!!!

Thanks for looking, Bill

Attachments

• photo (18).JPG
    photo (18).JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 164
  • photo (17).JPG
    photo (17).JPG
    91 KB · Views: 147
  • Half Reale Obverse_Date (1).jpg
    Half Reale Obverse_Date (1).jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 151
  • Half Reale Reverse (1).jpg
    Half Reale Reverse (1).jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0196.JPG
    IMG_0196.JPG
    253.6 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0197.JPG
    IMG_0197.JPG
    249.5 KB · Views: 142
Upvote 7

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have been pounding a home site built in 1831 (still standing but vacant). I found 4 LCs, the first one was an 1829 in stellar condition (and after 2 years detecting, my oldest coin) three days later an 1819 (crusty rough) condition, but my new oldest coin, an 1826 and 1828 over a 10 day period when I first started hunting there (Nov. 2012) Since then I have only managed 2 Indians, 3-4 wheaties and when I'm there, I envision finding my first ever Seated or Capped Bust coinage, all I have in the Silver department is a merc and a couple War Nickels from there. So this year on Fri. Nov. 16, once again I found my oldest coin (but didn't know it for 4-5 days) a 1778 Spanish 1/2 Reale, really worn and pretty smooth. I thought I had found a worn out used up seated dime, but was happy. On Sunday the 18th I pulled my 5th LC a pretty decent 1830 and the 1866 Indian, this helped take the sting out of, what I thought was my first Seated ( I still didn't know I had broke into the 1700s club) I was floating on cloud 9 for 2-3 days after seeing the condition of this STUNNING Semi Key Indian!!! About the time I came down from that a buddy over on another site recognized the "H I S" of H I S P A N on the coin and identified it for me.......back into the clouds I went lol lol I was able to see a lot more detail taking pictures outside in the natural light (sun) and with a little enhancement from Windows photo viewer, I picked out the date, mint mark and some more lettering.
This farm has been really, really good to me, it's iron infested and slow going, I've left the Indian and Reale behind on several trips there, this leaves me wondering what is still there hiding just waiting for me to rescue!!

1. One of the Pillars with banner. 2. M with o over it. (Mexico City mint mark) 3. Lettering "IND" 4. H I, all that is visible of HISPAN. All Olentangy needed to Identify this little gem for me! Props to him!!!!

Thanks for looking, Bill

Congrats on breaking the silver barrier. The Spanish half real are indeed a very tiny coin . As for your high grade Indian and large cent rarely is the ground kind to them and you indeed have good ground on that farm. I expect you may know that iron sometimes mask good targets and as an old relic hunter after you feel the area may be hunted out do yourself a favor and dig the iron out. Point in case is this 1/5 cut Spanish coin I found when digging an iron nail. It was just beyond my DFX depth and came up when I dug the nail. Great finds and expect more are there.
Scan0089.jpg Scan0096.jpg

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That 66 is the NICEST I've seen...looks as it was dropped right from the press,imagine how it looks without the patina!!!!!!!!!!!:icon_thumright::icon_thumright::icon_thumright::icon_thumright:

That LC is a Killer too! Soils around here aren't so kind.

Metal Illness..heh..an illness you'll NEVER get over.:laughing7:

GOD Bless

Chris

OP
OP
Metal Illness

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That 66 is the NICEST I've seen...looks as it was dropped right from the press,imagine how it looks without the patina!!!!!!!!!!!:icon_thumright::icon_thumright::icon_thumright::icon_thumright:

That LC is a Killer too! Soils around here aren't so kind.

Metal Illness..heh..an illness you'll NEVER get over.:laughing7:

GOD Bless

Chris

My wife came up with that handle......it fits!! There is no cure, I can only medicate by continuing to hunt. lol I typically need 4-5 doses a week or I have withdraws. For the most part, my coppers are pretty decent from existing home site hunts. I've only recently began field hunting and the results of the chemicals and fertilizers are horrific on the coppers. I've found 4 LCs and 4 Indians so far all are pretty toasty, not in the condition I've been spoiled by, existing home site yards. I know eventually the Silvers will come and I should have better results on condition from field sites!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Mental Illness,

Congratulations on the Indian cent, excellent detail! Happy Hunting in 2015

Regards,

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny that both of out best ih's are 66. Yours is the best I've ever seen dug. You've dug some really great coins bud. Keep plugging away in that iron. That's where the good stuff hides

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. That Indian Head is incredible! Detail, patina, date...it's got it all. Congrats!

OP
OP
Metal Illness

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny that both of out best ih's are 66. Yours is the best I've ever seen dug. You've dug some really great coins bud. Keep plugging away in that iron. That's where the good stuff hides

Thanks Abe. I have a 74 and 75 I thought were pretty stunning as well, until I dug this 66! I believe the 66 has AU detail, the others are probably in XF condition.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Abe. I have a 74 and 75 I thought were pretty stunning as well, until I dug this 66! I believe the 66 has AU detail, the others are probably in XF condition.

Yeah I've got a 70 that has a beautiful reverse
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1420643132.696306.jpg

OP
OP
Metal Illness

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I've got a 70 that has a beautiful reverse
View attachment 1103118

That is pretty fine Abe, I'm guessing a disappointing obverse? Too bad buddy, sorry.
Funny we're matching Indians. I also have an 1870, in pretty worn circulated condition. Redbook says $140 in that condition b/c of the low mintage I guess. My reverse has a nice fresh "digger" scratch across it though ! Rats!!!!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the obverse
image.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta love Indians with a full LIBERTY and I like patina these days. Great find :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread