Its cracked, nearly broken in two, and a complete mystery to me. A coin for sure

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's cracked, nearly broken in two, and a complete mystery to me. A coin for sure

I found this yesterday in a farm field in upstate NY. Okay, that's not exactly true. I found it in October when Smittyman and I made our trip to NY. I've been soaking it and lightly brushing it since then trying to see if I could bring out any more detail. This appears to be as good as it's gonna get. It's too fragile to do much with it. It is virtually the same size as a memorial penny. This is paper thin and I cannot see any detail left on the back if there was any.

I figure someone on here will be able to venture an educated guess or nail it on the head what this is. What do you guys think?

field coin.JPG

Upvote 11

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a unique find! Might be harder to find than a real $2.5 gold coin. :icon_thumright:

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty cool man! I like it

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Counterfeit find for sure, just like tokens, it is a rarer find than the real coin. Real coins were minted in much higher numbers. I bet it had a nice gilt when it was first lost. That's probably why its cracked, people bit them to see if they were malleable, nice find, it caused jelliousness in Carolina Tom's heart. Which, between you two, makes it a high winner again for you!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you try peeling back the gold to see if it has chocolate in the center?

Attachments

• images8DW7F0LZ.jpg
    images8DW7F0LZ.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 209

Sobo

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Ctx 3030, Omega 8500, AT Pro, Ace 150, Explorer XS, Explorer SE / Sunray Probe, Bounter Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a neat find, counterfeits are fun to find. But at the same time...you wish you found a real one. I found a counterfeit 1895 O Barber quarter and was upset it was a counterfeit, then I realized it's almost just as neat as the real deal. Good job on finding that counterfeit and HH :headbang:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So let me ask you my friend. Are you feeling better about finding a counterfeit gold coin? Do you think it's cooler than the real thing? I have a feeling you don't. And I wouldn't either. Granted some counterfeits are much better to find than the real deal a gold coin would not be one of them to me.
But it is still a VERY cool find and a great addition to any collection. The best part is that you kept at that thing until you were able to get a probable id. So my hats off to you buddy for not giving up. 2015 holds great things for you. I just looked into my magic 8 ball lol. You're going to get on some incredible sites in the spring

MANFROMCLAD01

Nov 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i could just see that guy's face when he realized hed been taken and chucked that coin! lol

Yard Digger

Dec 20, 2009
Manila, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 with Bounty Hunter Headphones and TX-2002 Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So let me ask you my friend. Are you feeling better about finding a counterfeit gold coin? Do you think it's cooler than the real thing? I have a feeling you don't. And I wouldn't either. Granted some counterfeits are much better to find than the real deal a gold coin would not be one of them to me.
But it is still a VERY cool find and a great addition to any collection. The best part is that you kept at that thing until you were able to get a probable id. So my hats off to you buddy for not giving up. 2015 holds great things for you. I just looked into my magic 8 ball lol. You're going to get on some incredible sites in the spring
Congratulations Beez! IMO you have a great find. At first I was thinking I would be disappointed with a counterfeit gold coin, but after reading these posts I'v sorta changed my mind. A rare counterfeit gold might be of great worth to a collector, but on the other hand, not being gold it wouldn't have the value from the weight the gold coin would bring. Therefore I would have a mix of disappointment and excitement both with such a find. HH this new year to you and all and hopefully someday your detector will turn up the real Mccoy.

OP
OP
beez0404

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Abe are you still wanting to hunt on my property up in Maine? If so I'll be sure to give you the caretaker's information.

I've been doing a bit of research for our trip this spring and have found what I hope are some good potential spots.

With regard to the counterfeit coin. I was finding so little on that trip I was just happy to find something interesting.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Could be an early diplomatic button

That's the first thing that came to mind for me as well. But scanning through the Albert's book I don't see anything that exactly matches up with the pic.

smittyman

Jun 6, 2012
Charlotte NC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I want to add one detail that Jay hasn't mentioned. The coin we're speaking of is not a flat disc as is a normal coin. It's one of three pieces that made up the original coin. The piece that he has is shaped like the top half (or bottom half) of the gold foil in the 2nd image that Tom added with the chocolate wrapped in gold. As though when it came apart it split around the middle of the edge. It's like to me that some base metal (maybe lead) was in inside the piece - represented by the chocolate here - to give it the weight of gold and then some other metal maybe even a very low grade of gold was molded around it. When it split these two pieces were lost. In a farm field who knows where it wound up.

One prob with the low grade gold theory is that it's not gold in color. It's also thicker than foil.

I hope that I haven't muddied the waters here but that this adds enough that a light will go on inside someone's head.

Attachments

• images8DW7F0LZ.jpg
    images8DW7F0LZ.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I want to add one detail that Jay hasn't mentioned. The coin we're speaking of is not a flat disc as is a normal coin. It's one of three pieces that made up the original coin. The piece that he has is shaped like the top half (or bottom half) of the gold foil in the 2nd image that Tom added with the chocolate wrapped in gold. As though when it came apart it split around the middle of the edge. It's like to me that some base metal (maybe lead) was in inside the piece - represented by the chocolate here - to give it the weight of gold and then some other metal maybe even a very low grade of gold was molded around it. When it split these two pieces were lost. In a farm field who knows where it wound up.

One prob with the low grade gold theory is that it's not gold in color. It's also thicker than foil.

I hope that I haven't muddied the waters here but that this this adds enough that a light will go on inside someone's head.

I sincerely apologize Jay...

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    37 KB · Views: 199

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Man, I found some of those that a kid had refilled with mud and buried in a school yard. I thought I had really hit it when I first saw them.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I hope that I haven't muddied the waters here but that this adds enough that a light will go on inside someone's head.

I sincerely apologize Jay...

Man, I found some of those that a kid had refilled with mud and buried in a school yard. I thought I had really hit it when I first saw them.

I found three of those gold chocolate coins on three separate days at the lake this past summer, one was still intact to the point there were two halfs left, but no chocolate left inside.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wait a second! Didn't they make some doubloons with terrible tasting bubble gum too? Hmmm...

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Very unique!! Even if it is a counterfeit I wish you luck that you find a real one soon! It is still a GREAT FIND!!!! Happy Hunting!!!
Jolteon

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread