Its cracked, nearly broken in two, and a complete mystery to me. A coin for sure

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's cracked, nearly broken in two, and a complete mystery to me. A coin for sure

I found this yesterday in a farm field in upstate NY. Okay, that's not exactly true. I found it in October when Smittyman and I made our trip to NY. I've been soaking it and lightly brushing it since then trying to see if I could bring out any more detail. This appears to be as good as it's gonna get. It's too fragile to do much with it. It is virtually the same size as a memorial penny. This is paper thin and I cannot see any detail left on the back if there was any.

I figure someone on here will be able to venture an educated guess or nail it on the head what this is. What do you guys think?

field coin.JPG

Upvote 11

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Abe are you still wanting to hunt on my property up in Maine? If so I'll be sure to give you the caretaker's information.

I've been doing a bit of research for our trip this spring and have found what I hope are some good potential spots.

With regard to the counterfeit coin. I was finding so little on that trip I was just happy to find something interesting.

It's a very nice find bud. I love counterfeit coins. My comment wasn't meant to take anything away from the find. I'd be psyched with it.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I look at it this way, Beez. That's a terrific find. You didn't see that coin in the hole and immediately see gold, and you didnt get the rush of that. What you saw was unidentified, and you treated it as such. In my opinion, that counterfeit is AS NICE as finding a gold piece, and certainly a rare item for your personal collection. Much better than a rusty old piece of junk. I still haven't found a silver dollar yet, but I'd rather have a find like yours. Nice find, sir!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
($2.50) being that's about 2 1/2 to 5 days wages back then --50 cent for unskilled -- $1 for skilled workers --you can bet the person was pissed royally off

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread