Lets See The 1500 and 1600s Coins Dug In The US

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's See The 1500 and 1600s Coins Dug In The US

After seeing the post by button king of his 16th century Lizzie it really got me wondering. How many hunters in the states and Canada have found a 1500s coin? I have a good friend here in Maine that found a cut 16th century silver and he's found a Jeton as well(I know a Jeton isn't a coin.) so I wanted to see some of these. I figured I'd add in the 17th century coins cause I think it'd be a pretty small list if not....and I love seeing these early ones. So bring em on guys and gals. You've seen mine so I won't bore you with those again. Since they still haven't really gone away lol.
I wish I could change the title to include my Canadian brothers. Of course I want to see yours and apologize for the title

Last edited:
Upvote 12
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's See The 1500 and 1600s Coins Dug In The US

I am in full agreement that a coin is not always a great way to date a site. I think a combination of items is the best way. But this thread wasn't intended to have anything to do with specific sites. I more just wanted to see some of the very early coins that the Tnetters have found. I wanted some perspective on how rare it is for the real early coins to be dug here in the states and in Canada

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea not tying to stir a pot here just a friendly way I feel on it.Got better things to do with my time then argue about such.Interresting thread it will be cool to see them as you stated.
take care,
Pete,:hello:

Sheppie22

Jun 9, 2011
Milford, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac,
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Max
Minelab Equinox 800 and 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
2.jpg
Found last summer near Cincinnati, Ohio. I know, it's from the 1700's.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree it's a combination of things to best date a site. One of the first signs, if it's plowed field, I look for the thick black glass, but even more than that clay pipe stems. You see the stems, you're probably at a decent old spot. Once we start digging targets at a place the first thing I want to be crossed off is it's old enough for flat buttons and large coppers, and if so I'm good with that. From there I look at whether it's George coppers or Canadian tokens, and tombac & pewter buttons or the little thicker backmarked 1800s buttons. By this point I already have a pretty good idea what I'm into, and with more digging can nail down the time frame fairly well. Love seeing George II coppers and the big old flat buttons because the range I'd like to be in is 1770-1790 and those two finds tell me there's a very good shot that I am. Unfortunately most sites we find are 1800s and that's how it will be from here on in, but as I said if it has large coppers and flat buttons that works for me.

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in full agreement that a coin is not always a great way to date a site. I think a combination of items is the best way. But this thread wasn't intended to have anything to do with specific sites. I more just wanted to see some of the very early coins that the Tnetters have found. I wanted some perspective on how rare it is for the real early coins to be dug here in the states and in Canada

Guessing I'm winning this damn thing so far huh! Well at least until Bill posts the hammereds . :laughing7:

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guessing I'm winning this damn thing so far huh! Well at least until Bill posts the hammereds . :laughing7:

Maybe he will miss this one lol. But if it comes down to it I will email him. Can't let you win everything

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All good points IP.All I was saying & think you guy's get it is that back then things were a lot different.Put it this way take one colonial with a coin he goes to the store buys clothes to go home & work his a$$ off if the field,chopping wood,after food for his family,working the ports etc cause these guy's did not live the happy go lucky lives people live today.He may tear his buckle,button,etc. off the first time out but that coin is still going around & around.Even if he sat at the computer for 20yrs his clothes gonna start falling apart after awhile.:laughing7: But hell that coin just getting a good shine going in 20yrs.:laughing7: So I can't see coins being any better at dateing a site, may be the worst for such if you put everything in perspective how they really lived back then.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All good points IP.All I was saying & think you guy's get it is that back then things were a lot different.Put it this way take one colonial with a coin he goes to the store buys clothes to go home & work his a$$ off if the field,chopping wood,after food for his family,working the ports etc cause these guy's did not live the happy go lucky lives people live today.He may tear his buckle,button,etc. off the first time out but that coin is still going around & around.Even if he sat at the computer for 20yrs his clothes gonna start falling apart after awhile.:laughing7: But hell that coin just getting a good shine going in 20yrs.:laughing7: So I can't see coins being any better at dateing a site, may be the worst for such if you put everything in perspective how they really lived back then.

You don't have to make your case to me because I was already in agreement. :)

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't have to make your case to me because I was already in agreement. :)

I think we all agree....but this thread has zero to do with dating a site. Just wanted to see some of the earlies coins dug in the US and Canada.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think we all agree....but this thread has zero to do with dating a site. Just wanted to see some of the earlies coins dug in the US and Canada.

So getting back to the conversation about sites.....

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You said "coins" ...
So your gonna have to wait.
What about things "rarer" than coins. :)

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bring em on my friend

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• animals-dinosaur-basketball-hoop-slam-dunk-shl100902_low.jpg
    animals-dinosaur-basketball-hoop-slam-dunk-shl100902_low.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 180
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok my phones gonna die. I'll pick this back up around 5. Can only imagine what I'm gonna miss :-)

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Pretty sure this one makes the 1600s club (but just barely). Found at a 1760s+ site, so she was in circulation for a long time before being lost.

Attachments

• William20Types20Compare20123.jpg
    William20Types20Compare20123.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 249
  • William Coin.jpg
    William Coin.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 232

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions