Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:
The Richard 11 London Penny I found last year has gone to auction, at the time of finding this coin I never new just how rare it was. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/436816-decent-day-last.html
I took it to the York coin fair last week were it got a great review, I was recommended to send it to auction, so I did.

Mod's...if I have posted this in the wrong thread, please feel free to remove to the correct thread.:thumbsup:

SS

Last edited:
Upvote 1

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The portrait is a exceptional strike, it's what making the value so high.:thumbsup:

If the coin had not been clipped on the edges we would have been talking of a £2000+ coin. When you consider Medieval pennies were mainly struck on flans no bigger than 19mm, I think they did really well, with the detail they got.

SS

True SS not to take anything away from the great detail of the strike, and what they had to work with especially the thin flans over say a Roman which can be also small but a lot thicker. I guess we're used of seeing more side profiles on coinage.
Then again the portraiture of King Offa is quoted as been one of the best and not to be repeated until Henry VIII in terms of [FONT=Arial, Tahoma, Verdana, sans-serif]realism.

Still your coin is a beautiful example clipped or not it should do well at the sale.
[/FONT]

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Had this Richard 11 groat a few years back Colin. Good luck with the auction .:occasion14:

Attachments

• Face Richard 11 groat.jpg
    Face Richard 11 groat.jpg
    472.3 KB · Views: 60
OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet that cleaned up well.:thumbsup: What mint was that.?

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread