Feb 22, 2015
Dalzell,IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5
Tesoro Compadre
Fisher F-2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am new to this site and it has been pressured by many in one of the clubs I belong to that I should submit this find to Eastern-Western Treasure magazine. I found this on Dec.23,2014 with my trusty old Fisher CZ-5. At a depth of 8". Here in central Illinois, digging in December comes as a bonus to most. However I have become such a die-hard that I try to stay out year round as long as the ground does not freeze me out.
I have been told that this medal may qualify as a banner find due to the date and it is 10kt gold. Not totally sure how and who to submit it to so someone from the magazine gets this......

Attachments

• St Bede gold 1.jpg
    St Bede gold 1.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 232
  • St Bede gold 2.jpg
    St Bede gold 2.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 305
Upvote 13

ks coyote

Aug 30, 2012
Auburn Kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX x 2, XLT, SL 90, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck on the banner but a very nice find. Congrats.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking medal, never seen a solid gold medal for a sporting event before, very cool.

As for the banner it's your first posting and it's over the two week window I believe.

I'm sure the Mag. has online contact info where you can submit the story of the find.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a really good find ! Amazing to think that most of a century ago a college athletic event might get you a solid gold medal ,
even the Olympic "gold "medal these days is only gold plated ! I'm not even sure if the silver medal is solid anymore ?

OP
OP
C

clayz1971

Feb 22, 2015
Dalzell,IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5
Tesoro Compadre
Fisher F-2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have done a bunch of research and discovered that the Illinois interscholastic later became the Illinois High School Assn in the 1960's. Apparently it was common that the medals were given out this way since the gold,silver and bronze value was not that high back then.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very nice find, cool too

Canslaw

Greenie
Aug 12, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Current: XP Deus, Garrett pro pointer
Past: AT Pro, Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting athletic medal find!

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
nice find! That's a chunk of gold.

One thing that may help in the future is to not suggest if you think your find should be on the banner. It may cause us to have reservation about voting.

Banner or no banner it's a nice find.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Find ! no it can't qualify for Banner or Today's finds because it was found before you became a member here .

I moved it to Best Finds For you.

it could qualify for western & Eastern best finds but you would have to Submit it to them and see if
it isn't too late.

Good Luck ! & Welcome to treasureNet !

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI I submitted it to Western & Eastern Magazine for you.
I think it is too late.
2014 Best finds may already be at the Printers.
But I'm sure they will at least take a quick Look :thumbsup:

Jeff

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

clayz1971

Feb 22, 2015
Dalzell,IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5
Tesoro Compadre
Fisher F-2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks a bunch! I am not what you would call a real computer savvy person. Trying to do anything just frustrates me. Facebook was a big enough challenge and now I phone? Whoa!!!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took me time to learn the Computer also.
I'm usually better at learning via Trial & error (mental problem solving) then through teachers.
In spite of the Fact I'm been on computers about 15 years I still consider myself Computer Illiterate
when it comes to "computer Speak" hands on is different .
But a spade needs to be called a Spade :laughing7:
not some new fangled word some computer geek invented for it.:tongue3:
Example "Hash Tag" ? "Pound Sign" ? tell me "it looks like a Tic Tac toe game thingie".
I'll know #

anyway I'm off topic.

The April 2014 Best finds issue of W&E has already been Printed & will be shipped any day now,
as I thought.

I was given this info The 10K gold Illinois Interscholastic "Pole Vault" medal is a neat piece, and if it were a coin it would definitely qualify for Best Finds as a Gold Coin Club entry. However, I'm not sure about the general finds category, which is where it would go as a medal. As a rule, gold amateur athletic medals don't bring a lot more than scrap gold value— maybe an extra 20-25%— unless they're really old or engraved with the name of special interest or importance.

Anyway, since it's a medal, and from Illinois, I'd suggest that the finder ask Rich Hartzog of World Exonumia about it. Not only is he a leading dealer in tokens & medals, but he specializes in Illinois material. If anyone can accurately assess its value, Rich is the guy.

I also sent you an Email with

a (pdf) Link with all the details about how to submit to Western & Eastern Magazine
along with Contact info for
Rich Hartzog.
Hopefully if you can't open the pdf you know someone who knows how.
but I think you will need to use a regular computer not a phone to open it

Last edited:

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a bunch! I am not what you would call a real computer savvy person. Trying to do anything just frustrates me. Facebook was a big enough challenge and now I phone? Whoa!!!!
That's me, Nice Find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread