Wanted to share an extraordinary relic I found with its history! SIMPLY ASTOUNDING!!!

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thought everyone who lives in this area might find this fascinating. The US buckle is for size reference only. The relic wasn't found today but it was identified. This is either a horse harness or a carriage mount I found relic hunting. It was finally identified as belonging to the Carter family of Virginia. I'm sure everyone has heard of Carter's Grove in Williamsburg. What's even more fascinating is General Robert E. Lee's mother was a Carter! So, in a way, this relic is connected to the most beloved and revered general the South has ever known! The dog is called a Talbot, a classic hunting dog of its time and the heraldic way of describing its posture is "sejant". It is holding a shield under its dexter (right) paw and the shield (or escutcheon) has a cart wheel or Catherine wheel depicted on it. The rope like item the dog sat on is called the torse and it represents the twisted ribbons used to cover the joint between the knights armoured helmet and the crest that sat on top of it and is sometimes called a wreath. The back has 8 prongs which attached to leather. For all I know, Robert E. Lee could have been riding in the carriage this item was secured too when it was lost! How about that!

Attachments

• Carter Seal 1.jpg
    Carter Seal 1.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 276
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 279
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
Upvote 23
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice find!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is an INCREDIBLE piece with an even more INCREDIBLE connection. Thanks for sharing this history with us

OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is the coat of arms from the Carter family of medieval times and as you can see, the Carters of Virginia incorporated some of the symbols from the medieval coat of arms into theirs. The talbot symbolizes vigilance, bravery and loyalty. The wheel on the shield is known as a Catherine's wheel and symbolizes St. Catherine's martyrdom. The Latin phrase translates as, " From God comes grace and we are grateful."

Attachments

• Carter Crest.jpg
    Carter Crest.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 1,414
Last edited:

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! History is a hundred times more fascinating when you have an artifact directly attached to it!
Amazing discovery! :treasurechest:8-)

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's nice! - what metal is it? Bronze?

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Devonrex would you pick my next powerball numbers that is unreal , way to go.vanzutphen

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find Mate :thumbsup: The Dog is a Talbot Hound sitting in the sejant pose as you say, The Talbot hound was a white hunting Dog now extinct and is used on coats of arms in various poses. Here is one on a Irish Livery Button, Family name of Laghlin ...Great find.:thumbsup:

SS

Attachments

• Laughlin%20(Irish)%20[small].jpg
    Laughlin%20(Irish)%20[small].jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 169

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This piece is what metal detecting is about. Its recovering history like this and having it tell it's story for all to enjoy. Thank you for sharing this and it has to be a crowning achievement for you, would be for me.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find Mate :thumbsup: The Dog is a Talbot Hound sitting in the sejant pose as you say, The Talbot hound was a white hunting Dog now extinct and is used on coats of arms in various poses. Here is one on a Irish Livery Button, Family name of Laghlin ...Great find.:thumbsup:

SS

Pretty sure I have a Livery button of the OP's item!

Anyway, very cool find, CONGRATS

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, great find. I feel like I should be clicking on the banner button?

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, great find. I feel like I should be clicking on the banner button?

I agree Treb but I don't think they'll allow where it was found awhile ago and this info just came to light

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread