sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
11va352mc.jpg Back in 1982 I started metal detecting and decided to hunt the old dirt drive way to my aunts house that dated 1897 and had an old radio shack detector did not think I would find anything but after a few signals I found a 3 ringer bullet then next item was odd wasn't sure what it was but I knew it was a license plate but didn't think no more about until 7 years ago going thru stuff to throw away and there again was this plate . Well decided to put it on ebay asking price 25.00 if I recall correctly . Anyway I received this strange email and the gentleman said buddy do you know what you are doing and asked me to email back. Well I did and he said that so plate you are selling I will give you 1800.00 dollars for let me know if you want to sell . First thing I thought this guy was joking so hell I put it on a few sites for 2000.00-2500.00 and it seemed he knew every site I was posting it on and sent another email what you trying to do . I am offering to buy a very rare 1911 blue and white porcelain motorcycle license plate only 1 made with this number combo. He stated that again he would buy it for 1800.00 and know one else would pay more , again let me know . Well got to thinking I did not pay anything damn near had tossed in trash and just so put it on ebay and this guy could have bought it for the asking price but instead was honest did not want me to be ripped off and I did end up selling it to him for that price, fellow turned out to be a lawyer I mean where in these days do you find a honest one and his hobby turned out to be license plate collecting . I often think about this and the results that would have been made but luck and this guy saved me before I had made a stupid mistake of letting a valuable relic go for nothing . So the morrow to this true , true story when in doubt about something find someone who knows what you have and don't throw away something odd ball like I almost did for you will be hating yourself later when you see the same item selling for more than what you sold it for. vanzutphen. Moderator if this is posted on wrong topic please move thanks. If anyone interested in the web site where this plate can be seen go to VIRGINIA PORCELAIN ARCHIVES 1911 Third Issue and scroll down to the bottom and you will see it and who this plate was sold too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are to date 3 know va plates with different numbers .

Last edited:
Upvote 17

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha, lucky you.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great tip and congrats on the find/sale
Well i guess some large signals bring large money...i will hunt more overloads !
Gary

wheatfinder13

Silver Member
Nov 23, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Teknetics alpha 2000 ,garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very interesting story. That's a nice amount of money

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good Find & deal ! But am confused

"only 1 made with this number combo"

352 ? I don't see the importance of the Number .

OP
OP
S

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jeff the guy said that there are only to known motorcycle plate 1 was mine and another he bought from someone else. What I mean about this plate with this number combo each plate had its own set of numbers each time they where made no two where alike. He said these are very rare finds and the plate I sold him and the other are the only 2 known .vanzutphen Correction there are now 3, 1911 plates all with different numbers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have no idea what cycle it would have been on but when I found it I thought it went to an automobile. It was curved so I figured it went on the fenders.vanzutphen

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
I have no idea what cycle it would have been on but when I found it I thought it went to an automobile. It was curved so I figured it went on the fenders.vanzutphen

I have no idea why he didn't just put in a bid for $25, Call me cynical, but I have to think that he reasoned a prolonged ebay presence would of brought a much higher final bid then the $1800 he immediately offered you.

YUP.......

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty impressive that the guy was honest with you and told you what you had. Good lesson learned to always do all the research we can in our finds. You just never know what's rare and collectable. Congrats

OP
OP
S

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You know as I look back now I wish that I would have kept it after what he told me it was worth . Why he was so honest is beyond me but he has a heck of a collection of plates. I did try for a couple of weeks to sell it for a higher price but as I said he keeps a close eye out for rare plates . I never got any other offerings except his. I always thought lawyers were more crooked than the criminals they represent but he sure proved me wrong and he is a really nice guy. vanzutphen

Last edited:

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That dude that contacted you has some awesome integrity.

Id have gave it to him for $1600 for his honesty.

With that said, I'm not a license plate collector, motorcycle enthusiast, or the type that seeks those kind of detecting finds. That probably wouldnt have even come home with me after digging it, haha.

Congrats on a x1800 profit margin!

~Tejaas~

Roadrunner007

Feb 23, 2015
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQUINOX 800 BHID300, Spectra V3i, TDI Pro, 6000Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a great find....Glad it worked for you.$$$

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find! I have a similar story with a Motorcycle hemet I bought for $10. Turned out to be a first year Bell helmet from 1958. Sold on eBay for $2250.00! I listed it for 125.00 hoping for a bite

Cheers!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread