First post and great story

Wilderland

Mar 24, 2012
Great Basin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900, Teknetics Omega 8k, Killer Bees, White's TRX.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've been a member here for three years and have yet to post anything; just a lot of reading. I got into the hobby back in 2011, and still do far less of it than I should. I purchased a used MXT a handful of years ago and was trying it out in my front yard. Along with a lot of junk pieces of metal, a Hot Wheel, soda tabs and a few pennies, I dug this up:
e17048e5.jpg

It was aluminum, and had the name of the city I live in, the state, the number "55", and a name. It was between the size of a .50 cent piece and a silver dollar. I thought maybe it was from a carnival or ? On a whim I decided to do a search on the name. I found a match on Facebook and contacted the person. I essentially said, "This may sound very strange but I live in such-and-such a place. I found this item (attached photo) in my front yard while metal detecting. Does this mean anything to you?" He responded with, "Oh my gosh! I lived in that house many years ago before my family moved from Nevada to Louisiana. That token was given to my now-deceased father when he graduated from high school. I've shown your photo to my mother and she immediately burst into tears. Is there any way I could pay for you to send it to us? You have no idea what this means to us!"

I was happy to send it to them, considering it a blessing to do so. A few months later they both came to our house to say "Thank you" on their way through the area. I may not be finding more than a few wheat pennies and rusted bits of iron these days, but for one family I did find "treasure". It was a terrific experience.

Upvote 15

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, ACE250, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story. You can't put a price on memories and you just brought a bunch back to them. Good on you.:thumbsup:

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So cool. The simplest things we dig, can bring back the fondest memories if placed in the right hands. Good work. :thumbsup:

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good story. I like finding them and tracking down the persons who lost them.
I have returned 4 of them and posted a couple on here.

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitly a GREAT story! This is what it's all about folks! (well I guess ahuge coin spill is nice too :D)... Way to go!

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bless you for doing the right thing! So few would go thru the trouble to be a decent human being like this!HH......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions