~~~Some finds in my last two hunts Indian 1909-s~~~

swingbot

Jan 27, 2012
central Ca.
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well on Friday I got out with Tularetokens and fatJim and got me nine wheaties with the CTX no silver.
no.gif
On Sunday I went to a school that gave up a lot of clad and some junk jewelry. Had to quit for the battery on the CTX went dead and I for got to through in the backup.
no.gif

So when I got to the van I decided to just drive into town and hit an old parking lot tear out. So I had to use the ATP for the rest of my day hunting.
The only coin I found in the parking lot as a 1909-s Indian I'm having a hard time getting the crud off it.
roll.gif

Anyway, Thanks for looking and happy hunting.
yes.gif

Attachments

• 1909 0.jpg
    1909 0.jpg
    792.5 KB · Views: 162
  • 1909 1.jpg
    1909 1.jpg
    539.3 KB · Views: 162
  • 1909 2.jpg
    1909 2.jpg
    558.4 KB · Views: 142
  • 1909.jpg
    1909.jpg
    940.7 KB · Views: 143
  • 1909-s1.jpg
    1909-s1.jpg
    699.6 KB · Views: 143
Upvote 7
OP
OP
swingbot

swingbot

Jan 27, 2012
central Ca.
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, I hope it cleans up good.

OP
OP
swingbot

swingbot

Jan 27, 2012
central Ca.
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW! I didn't know that there was only that meany had been minted. I have a friend that is goin gto clean it for me, he has done it to some of my other coins in the past. Thanks for the post. ;-)

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! I didn't know that there was only that meany had been minted. I have a friend that is goin gto clean it for me, he has done it to some of my other coins in the past. Thanks for the post. ;-)

Yes, in fact it is the lowest mintage IHC. Even the famed 1877 had a higher mintage of 852,500. That's 544,500 more than your 1909!

If it looked better it would be a banner coin in my opinion.

OP
OP
swingbot

swingbot

Jan 27, 2012
central Ca.
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys,, Yeah I have a good friend that will give it a go.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the finds! Did you use a harsh cleaner on the 1909-S Indian Head Cent? It appears so and doing so, will adversely effect the price that it brings! A light bath in Acetone to arrest any verdigris, rinse in water, pat dry, then a long soak in either Mineral Oil or Extra Virgin Olive Oil, is often all that is needed to get stubborn dirt, grime and/or some corrosion off of Copper coins. These will not harm the Copper or remove the patina (toning) from them with the exception that Extra Virgin Olive Oil will sometimes darken Copper coins which really isn't a bad thing.

Frank

OP
OP
swingbot

swingbot

Jan 27, 2012
central Ca.
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the finds! Did you use a harsh cleaner on the 1909-S Indian Head Cent? It appears so and doing so, will adversely effect the price that it brings! A light bath in Acetone to arrest any verdigris, rinse in water, pat dry, then a long soak in either Mineral Oil or Extra Virgin Olive Oil, is often all that is needed to get stubborn dirt, grime and/or some corrosion off of Copper coins. These will not harm the Copper or remove the patina (toning) from them with the exception that Extra Virgin Olive Oil will sometimes darken Copper coins which really isn't a bad thing.

Frank

Hey Frank,, No I've only have used E-Z-est Coin cleaner on it. So A light bath in Acetone will not hear it? Never heard that one may try it.
Didn't I sell you a sheath one time?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Frank,, No I've only have used E-Z-est Coin cleaner on it. So A light bath in Acetone will not hear it? Never heard that one may try it.
Didn't I sell you a sheath one time?

If E-Z-est Coin Cleaner stripped away the toning (patina) on the coin and gave it that pinkish appearance, then I would advise to not use it on any other Copper coins. If a Copper coin is left in Acetone too long, it can damage the surfaces of the coin but a quick bath to arrest the verdigris, then rinsing with water and patting dry, will not hurt the coin, it's Copper or the toning on it. No, I did not purchase a sheath from you, so it must have been another Frank or huntsman!

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
swingbot

swingbot

Jan 27, 2012
central Ca.
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yaeh I didn't know what the coin was for it was all caked up when I got it out of the ground so I just though it in the cleaner. :-(

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Yaeh I didn't know what the coin was for it was all caked up when I got it out of the ground so I just though it in the cleaner. :-(

It appears that you used the E-Z-est Coin Cleaner on the Lincoln Wheat Cents as well! Removing the patina/toning on the coins screams that they have been cleaned and pretty much ruins any premium one would hope to receive from them if and when sold. While it is highly likely that such coins that have areas of more or less corrosion, dirt or grime will show differences in the patina/toning when some or all of the corrosion, dirt or grime is removed, it is best to clean the coins with the results showing as little difference in the patina/toning as possible.

Frank

OP
OP
swingbot

swingbot

Jan 27, 2012
central Ca.
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In fact that coin is really looking good. I have a friend that has cleaned coins with value and tells me that the coin is outstanding shape and will make its grade. I will past pics soon. ;-)

doublet2a

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2007
Lindsay, California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov. Elite 5", 8" & 10" coils. EXP II 8" & 10" coils with inline Sunray pin pointer. AT Pro 8" & 10" Coils, Equinox 600 10" and 5" coils.
In fact that coin is really looking good. I have a friend that has cleaned coins with value and tells me that the coin is outstanding shape and will make its grade. I will past pics soon. ;-)
Unfortunately the Eze-it swingbot used took the patina off the coin as Frank said. I have cleaned a lot of rare coins, and copper is by far the hardest to clean and still look like you didn't clean it. Living in California farm land, most of the old coins we find are "environmentally damaged". I envy you guys back east. Mild mineralization and much more history. I have the coin soaking now, and will let it soak for a long time in Kroil oil. Works good. If swingbot had any idea it was such a valuable coin, he would have given it to me before any attempt of cleaning. These things take time.. It was in the ground for 100 +- years, Can't make it look new in a few days, or even months. What an awesome find!!!!!

Tim

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Unfortunately the Eze-it swingbot used took the patina off the coin as Frank said. I have cleaned a lot of rare coins, and copper is by far the hardest to clean and still look like you didn't clean it. Living in California farm land, most of the old coins we find are "environmentally damaged". I envy you guys back east. Mild mineralization and much more history. I have the coin soaking now, and will let it soak for a long time in Kroil oil. Works good. If swingbot had any idea it was such a valuable coin, he would have given it to me before any attempt of cleaning. These things take time.. It was in the ground for 100 +- years, Can't make it look new in a few days, or even months. What an awesome find!!!!!

Tim

I agree! While some may feel that the coin looks really good compared to what it was before, they are seriously mistaken. By cleaning in such a manner with the E-Z-est Coin Cleaner, the coin was stripped of it's toning, of any true collectibility and of a lot of value. While it is hard to say what the coin might grade at or have graded at if cleaned in the correct manner which as you stated, does take time and patience, let's say that it could have been a VG-10 to Fine-12. With the harsh cleaning and removal of the toning (which can never be re-attained) which left the coin as pink like raw stripped Copper, the coin will now be viewed by many Collectors as unwanted and non-collectible. Sure, there are some Collectors who would snatch it up at a very low price just to fill a hole in their' Indian Head Cent Collection but with the correct cleaning, it possibly could have still been a collectible coin and worth a lot more. Since no respectable Third Party Grading Service would ever give the coin a true grade, it is hard to say how Coin Graders or Collectors would view it in it's present condition but IMHO, they would say that it would be viewed as less than an AG-03. I hate to be brutally honest about such a rare coin find but folks should really do their homework and research before attempting to clean coins. I know this all to well and first hand as I did the same in my early days of collecting when there was little if any information out there to be found, so I learned from my mistakes and some very valuable coins suffered because of it!

Frank

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My father is an avid coin collector and he has a few of the 1909-s "Indian" head cents in his collection. I was looking in my 2014 price guide and G-4 grade goes for $550.

If the coin is over a couple of hundred or more in value I would send it off to get professionally conserved and slabbed. I would on that coin if it still had the original patina.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread