England Deus Hunt nets Roman Gold

unearth

Tenderfoot
Nov 14, 2006
Just got back from a detecting trip in England. It was a bit cold for this So. Cal. boy, but I had a great time. I got my best find ever...a Roman gold coin of Julius Nepos, 474 - 475 AD. Here is the write up from an expert, Dr. Martin, from the British Museum.

This is a "Tremissis", or one third of a Solidus. It appears to be from the mint at either Rome or Ravenna - it's only possible to tell the difference between the Rome, Ravenna and Milan issues of this type by the style and workmanship. It also appears to have been crudely broken off a soldered jewelry mount of some sort. I only checked it quickly in Sear. I will have a look in the RIC later, but RIC vol X is a beast of a book, both physically and to look up specific emperors and types - particularly in the chaotic final days of the Western Empire. Here are the pics...

Attachments

• saxonsolidus2.jpg
    saxonsolidus2.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 281
  • saxonsolidus.jpg
    saxonsolidus.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 286
Upvote 5

Roadrunner007

Feb 23, 2015
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQUINOX 800 BHID300, Spectra V3i, TDI Pro, 6000Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super Find! ....Congrats!!

OP
OP
U

unearth

Tenderfoot
Nov 14, 2006
Update to my gold find: It's not Roman, but a Visigoth coin copying a Roman coin according to Dr Sam Moorhead National Finds Adviser for Iron Age and Roman coins at the British Museum. My coin is a...
Gold tremissis, attributed to the Visigoths in Gaul, copying a coin of the Roman emperor Julius Nepos (AD 474-5) struck at Rome, dating to c. AD 475-500. Obverse: D N IVL NE - POS P F AVG; Pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed right, with probable diadem above bust. Reverse: Staurogram in Wreath. Mintmark: COMOB. RIC X, p. 461, no. 3766var. RIC 3766 has a cross above the bust. Incomplete, possibly because a mount has been removed.

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jesus Gary! (It is Gary, right)? You go from beach gold to England gold. That's quite a jump! I haven't seen you in quite awhile. You got a beauty, Congratulations! Was your England trip with Chicago Ron?

HH Randynorthridge

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread