Recent finds, $5.00 gold piece from a Ca. China ghost town.

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
Hello Forum friends,

George posted a link of this story on the General discussion board, To show others the importance of being honest, doing what's right and I agree with George.

Sometimes the finds we make need to go back to the property owners, And above all be honest with the property owner. Based from some of the replies on the General discussion board, Several misunderstood or don't understand the purpose of giving back the gold coin.....This post should clarify why I'm giving back the gold coin and most of the finds I made during these recent trips to his property, Thanks George and the several others from his post for understanding.

Recently, Discovered my first Gold coin, A beautiful 1852 $5.00 gold piece up in the California gold country. An area I've been detecting for about 20 plus years, An 1850's China town nested on a hill with a nearby Gold Mining town beside....At it's peak, 2500-3000 Chinese immigrants lived on this hill.

The 1850's China town has long been deserted and all that remains are foundations, broken pieces of china, square nails and broken rusty shovels. The owner has allowed me to detect this hill top every year, Always a warm welcome to roam his land as a quest even allowing me to bring a friend or two. And I always said to the owner if I ever find a gold coin on your property it's yours!

Each trip in has always given me plenty of Chinese cache coins and some neat relics, Never a silver or gold coin and always went home happy as a lark....This year, Changed to using newer model single freq detectors and picked up an older Compass GoldScanner Pro. Because of the high amount of iron this area contains, the newer single freq detectors including the older GoldScanner Pro peek between the iron allot better than other detectors I had used before.

This year, We managed to get one gold coin, six seated dimes and about 70-80 Chinese cache coins. Of the six seated dimes recovered, I found three of them and the $5.00 gold coin as well and a pouch full of cache coins....The dates on my seated dimes are 1843, 1853 & 1883 and an 1852 $5.00 gold piece. The three other seated dimes my friends found they can keep, And the owner is ok with my friends keeping the finds they made included the seated coins.

With the owner trusting and allowing me to detect here all these years that is something I will always remember and cherish, The display with the gold & seated coins goes to the property owner along with the better finds from the area made these past two 1/2 months, This is my decision and not the owners, He is very appreciative, deserves the nice display and his family appreciate these finds to share with friends and future generations to come....This is one of those circumstances when the finds belong with the owner and his family, What better way to preserve these finds knowing they will always remain on the property and be well cared for with a family who's family lived here for generations.

Thanks!
Paul (Ca)

Attachments

• 02.JPG
    02.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 5,884
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 5,875
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 5,850
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 5,833
  • 22.JPG
    22.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 5,792
  • 15.JPG
    15.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 5,744
Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

You are an asset to this hobby! Integrity is in short supply these days, but you have it in spades. WTG. The display is beautiful. Thank you for including the pix - always fun to see the terrain, sites, treasures, etc. It really is the hunt that is most fun, which you've proven here, and the thrill of finding the coin will always be with you. Kudos to you.

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Musketeer, Tek G2, Omega and a Fisher ID Edge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Admiral de Salee said:
Tom, I used to have some mineral rights to gas wells in the Antrim Devonian Shale. Had to sell them several years back.
My grandfather was State Forest Supervisor at Fife Lake from 1912 or so to 1945. I plan to make a trip up to the former site of Forest HQ in July to look for a gold ring my Aunt lost in 1924 (and whatever else I can find). If you want to gang up on the site, PM me and we can set it up.

Hi Admiral.

Fife Lake is a bit of a haul for me but let me know and I will see.

My grand father on my mothers side kept 50% of the mineral rights on his farm when he retired and sold it. Back around 1952 the deepest exploration well in Michigan was sunk on his farm (Ohio-Chamberlain well) People came from miles around to look at the rig.

The Antrim shale is giving up lots of gas. Wells are popping up all over. All the farmers around here have new tractors and equipment! LOL We (all the grandkids) signed a lease last year and there will be a well going in. My share.. 2 acres out of the 80. LOL Might pay the heat bill. Its pretty amazing really, due to the shallow depth of the formation these wells average only 900' deep in our area and they last for years.

Tom

steve m

Jan 3, 2007
Portland, OR.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites XL Pro, Compass x80, Garrett 1350
Holy cow! Nice finds! Looks like a great area to hunt too. You are a kind hearted guy. Nice display also. Need to find me a place like that in Oregon. Congrats on the gold coin.....
Steve///

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Wow really a great story. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Don't know if I would get much detecting done there as it looks to be a great spot to lay in the grass and take a nap. :)

Mercury dude

Mar 8, 2007
Ceres
Detector(s) used
Stold by my x bounty hunter IV & Fast tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow what a story and a cool find, it looks like your near me, do you have any good areas to go to MD at, JC from Ceres, CA

Old California said:
Hello Forum friends,

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Paul i remember you now small world.I did what you said by the RR tracks and found more coins and locks.Half way down the tracks to olive street my Garrett yelled 50 cent piece and found a 1962 half.Ran my md over it again and found 4 more.Thanks for the advice.AA P.S.pm me ;)

j2fun4u

Sep 13, 2005
Hey paul,
Nice story I must have missed it on the Kinzli forum....Very nice display....
Congrats
Jason

cole1

Apr 27, 2007
South Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
dfx
I believe in Karma...For giving the gold coin back to the property owner and doing the right thing, I believe gold will find you on your other sites. Nice display for the owner you put together.

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
you are to be commended!..a wonderful gesture!...you will surely go to heaven!

(h.h!)
j.t.

kg6yll

Oct 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I think what you did is great. Although alot of members don't agree. I gave a landowner a Seated dime/quarter Love token once and got hammered by people wanting to know why. I think its obvious. Great job nice display and post.

Southern_Boy

Feb 2, 2007
New York State..Vestal, NY
Detector(s) used
Fischer CZ-3D
Wow! That is all that I can say. What I cant understand is why other people had a problem with your decision. You made an agreement with the owner and kept your end of the bargin....Good Things Happen to Honest People!

karib2517

Jan 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X50 : Another world inches below us.
way to go mate,this act of good faith will come back to you ten fold weather you want it or not.

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Old California !!

VERY Impressed over here in upstate CNY !!!
Your west coast finds look like east coast finds !!

So decent of you to reward the owner with your hard work and AMAZING finds !!!
That Gold coin is awe-inspiring !!

You got a heart of gold man !! ;)
Perhaps memories and the thrill of the hunt are THE best finds of all !

Second time I'll insert this close in a post reply :

May Every OverLapping Swing Of Your Search Coil Find Gold in 2008 !!!

D. 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread