Recent finds, $5.00 gold piece from a Ca. China ghost town.

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
Hello Forum friends,

George posted a link of this story on the General discussion board, To show others the importance of being honest, doing what's right and I agree with George.

Sometimes the finds we make need to go back to the property owners, And above all be honest with the property owner. Based from some of the replies on the General discussion board, Several misunderstood or don't understand the purpose of giving back the gold coin.....This post should clarify why I'm giving back the gold coin and most of the finds I made during these recent trips to his property, Thanks George and the several others from his post for understanding.

Recently, Discovered my first Gold coin, A beautiful 1852 $5.00 gold piece up in the California gold country. An area I've been detecting for about 20 plus years, An 1850's China town nested on a hill with a nearby Gold Mining town beside....At it's peak, 2500-3000 Chinese immigrants lived on this hill.

The 1850's China town has long been deserted and all that remains are foundations, broken pieces of china, square nails and broken rusty shovels. The owner has allowed me to detect this hill top every year, Always a warm welcome to roam his land as a quest even allowing me to bring a friend or two. And I always said to the owner if I ever find a gold coin on your property it's yours!

Each trip in has always given me plenty of Chinese cache coins and some neat relics, Never a silver or gold coin and always went home happy as a lark....This year, Changed to using newer model single freq detectors and picked up an older Compass GoldScanner Pro. Because of the high amount of iron this area contains, the newer single freq detectors including the older GoldScanner Pro peek between the iron allot better than other detectors I had used before.

This year, We managed to get one gold coin, six seated dimes and about 70-80 Chinese cache coins. Of the six seated dimes recovered, I found three of them and the $5.00 gold coin as well and a pouch full of cache coins....The dates on my seated dimes are 1843, 1853 & 1883 and an 1852 $5.00 gold piece. The three other seated dimes my friends found they can keep, And the owner is ok with my friends keeping the finds they made included the seated coins.

With the owner trusting and allowing me to detect here all these years that is something I will always remember and cherish, The display with the gold & seated coins goes to the property owner along with the better finds from the area made these past two 1/2 months, This is my decision and not the owners, He is very appreciative, deserves the nice display and his family appreciate these finds to share with friends and future generations to come....This is one of those circumstances when the finds belong with the owner and his family, What better way to preserve these finds knowing they will always remain on the property and be well cared for with a family who's family lived here for generations.

Thanks!
Paul (Ca)

Attachments

• 02.JPG
    02.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 5,884
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 5,875
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 5,850
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 5,833
  • 22.JPG
    22.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 5,792
  • 15.JPG
    15.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 5,744
Upvote 0

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
What a nice post.

And as commented above, indeed, you are an asset to the hobby of metal detecting!

I enjoyed the X marks the spot pic... who woulda thunk????
Folks must have passed over that drop for a hundred years and never had a clue... Good work!

R M P T R

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread